10 month old Son Diagnosed but has no symthoms?

JoannaGar19

I got the dreaded call when my son was about 3 months old. He tested positive at his newborn screening. I jumped online to see what it was and immediately went into shock. After a few hours of crying and making phone calls I called my local CF center to set an appointment. He had several tests done and according to the Dr. he has a very rare mutation that even he (and the other Dr.) couldn't tell me much about. (I have to look at my paper work to remember it). This is where I am a little confused... they did mention that some children/adults have more severe cases and some more milder cases. My son has no symthoms what so ever. I am not complaining here but my question is... Can one have CF and never has symthoms or even develop them later on in life?

JoannaGar19

I got the dreaded call when my son was about 3 months old. He tested positive at his newborn screening. I jumped online to see what it was and immediately went into shock. After a few hours of crying and making phone calls I called my local CF center to set an appointment. He had several tests done and according to the Dr. he has a very rare mutation that even he (and the other Dr.) couldn't tell me much about. (I have to look at my paper work to remember it). This is where I am a little confused... they did mention that some children/adults have more severe cases and some more milder cases. My son has no symthoms what so ever. I am not complaining here but my question is... Can one have CF and never has symthoms or even develop them later on in life?

JoannaGar19

JoannaGar19

JoannaGar19

marla

I'm sorry you got this difficult news. My son had very few respritory symptoms until he was about 5. He just recently started having serious issues and he is 15. Try to begin chest pt (vest, manual, whatever they recommend) and recommended meds even if he doesn't have the symptoms yet. Do all you can to perserve keep his lungs healthy and to get him into healthy habits that will help him later.

marla

I'm sorry you got this difficult news. My son had very few respritory symptoms until he was about 5. He just recently started having serious issues and he is 15. Try to begin chest pt (vest, manual, whatever they recommend) and recommended meds even if he doesn't have the symptoms yet. Do all you can to perserve keep his lungs healthy and to get him into healthy habits that will help him later.

marla

marla

marla

Alyssa

Yes, there are varying degrees for people at different ages. Everyone is different. Some people start off with severe problems right away and others get symptoms later on, and every possible combination of those two examples are in-between. The best approach is to stay informed, and keep you clinic appointments with the CF doctors - just making sure he is monitored and treated if necessary. Fingers crossed you won't see symptoms for many years to come, but if you do see them - you will have the correct diagnosis and doctors at your fingertips. This is a huge advantage - many parents struggle for years with the wrong diagnosis or no diagnosis while their child's health suffers. You have the advantage of knowing that he does have CF, even if he does not show any symptoms as yet.

My kids have thus far presented with few serious problems. They are now 20 and 22 years old. They are both pancreatic sufficient so they do not have any digestive issues. There is a possibility for that to change, but so far so good.

Their lung issues are mild compared to many, and started at 5 years old for my daughter and 20 years old for my son.

For more details, please visit my blog page on this site. The link is in my signature line.

Best wishes and welcome to the boards!

Alyssa

Yes, there are varying degrees for people at different ages. Everyone is different. Some people start off with severe problems right away and others get symptoms later on, and every possible combination of those two examples are in-between. The best approach is to stay informed, and keep you clinic appointments with the CF doctors - just making sure he is monitored and treated if necessary. Fingers crossed you won't see symptoms for many years to come, but if you do see them - you will have the correct diagnosis and doctors at your fingertips. This is a huge advantage - many parents struggle for years with the wrong diagnosis or no diagnosis while their child's health suffers. You have the advantage of knowing that he does have CF, even if he does not show any symptoms as yet.

My kids have thus far presented with few serious problems. They are now 20 and 22 years old. They are both pancreatic sufficient so they do not have any digestive issues. There is a possibility for that to change, but so far so good.

Their lung issues are mild compared to many, and started at 5 years old for my daughter and 20 years old for my son.

For more details, please visit my blog page on this site. The link is in my signature line.

Alyssa

Alyssa

Alyssa

<br />
<br />My kids have thus far presented with few serious problems. They are now 20 and 22 years old. They are both pancreatic sufficient so they do not have any digestive issues. There is a possibility for that to change, but so far so good.
<br />
<br />Their lung issues are mild compared to many, and started at 5 years old for my daughter and 20 years old for my son.
<br />
<br />For more details, please visit my blog page on this site. The link is in my signature line.
<br />
<br />Best wishes and welcome to the boards!

M

Mommafirst

My daughter has a rare mutation as well. In the first year of her life, she had no symptoms: pancreatic sufficient and no respiratory issues. Docs were encouraged that she could go a long time without developing them. Unfortunately things have changed around here and she has some more classic symptoms. So there is really no way to predict what with happen with your child. Just keep up the preventative care, see your docs, and hope!!!!

M

Mommafirst

My daughter has a rare mutation as well. In the first year of her life, she had no symptoms: pancreatic sufficient and no respiratory issues. Docs were encouraged that she could go a long time without developing them. Unfortunately things have changed around here and she has some more classic symptoms. So there is really no way to predict what with happen with your child. Just keep up the preventative care, see your docs, and hope!!!!

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst