10 Years with my New Kidney from Mom

kyeev

10 years is awesome!
Well done.

Any tips for those of us facing transplant?
Like, are you completely regimented in taking your anti-rejection drugs, never missing a dose even by 5 minutes?
Do you wear masks during cold/flu season?
Do you avoid certain foods or avoid doing the gardening or avoid having pets?

Less than 50% of people make it to 10 years post transplant.
You are exceptional!

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
10 years is awesome!
Well done.

Any tips for those of us facing transplant?
Like, are you completely regimented in taking your anti-rejection drugs, never missing a dose even by 5 minutes?
Do you wear masks during cold/flu season?
Do you avoid certain foods or avoid doing the gardening or avoid having pets?

Less than 50% of people make it to 10 years post transplant.
You are exceptional!

Thank you!

My nurse coordinator has always told me prograf and cellcept need to be taken on time each day, but if you happen to forget for some reason or another, you can take it no earlier or later than 2 hours off your regular dose time. Always consult with your doctor on this though.

I do wear masks at the doctors office during flu season. When I go to the grocery and other stores, I always wash my hands when I arrive home. Washing your hands post transplant is really important!

My transplant team gave me a booklet of all the foods to be cautious of post transplant. I have always avoided sushi.

I've never done any kind of gardening, so, I'm not really sure how cautious you need to be.

Dogs are ok. Obviously wash your hands when cleaning up its waste. Cats are not recommended post transplant. If you can't live without an already existing cat, be sure to have someone else clean the litter box.

Let me know if you have any other questions

hugs,

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
As always, you have the ability to make me feel good. Everything comes down to attitude and you embody the best attitude possible. The things we find ourselves grateful for sometimes need some explaining.

I can appreciate the win-win situation in a compatible donor in the one person who would be grateful for the opportunity, your mom. Without going into details, I have a sense of receiving more than my share of gifts and good fortune. You remind me that good fortune is relative. I cringe when I hear someone utter "it could be worse". Misfortune is exactly that, it's not a contest and scores are irrelevant.

Attitude is a great gift, at least a great attitude is,

LL

kyeev

Thank you!

My nurse coordinator has always told me prograf and cellcept need to be taken on time each day, but if you happen to forget for some reason or another, you can take it no earlier or later than 2 hours off your regular dose time. Always consult with your doctor on this though.

I do wear masks at the doctors office during flu season. When I go to the grocery and other stores, I always wash my hands when I arrive home. Washing your hands post transplant is really important!

My transplant team gave me a booklet of all the foods to be cautious of post transplant. I have always avoided sushi.

I've never done any kind of gardening, so, I'm not really sure how cautious you need to be.

Dogs are ok. Obviously wash your hands when cleaning up its waste. Cats are not recommended post transplant. If you can't live without an already existing cat, be sure to have someone else clean the litter box.

Let me know if you have any other questions

hugs,

Thanks for answering those questions.

I guess the only other thing I'd like to know is, how is your exercise tolerance.
Can you exercise similarly to a "normal" person?
Like, can you do something like hill walking with other people and not run out of breath?
(Or whatever exercise you do etc)

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
I apologize for the significant time gap.

I honestly don't do much exercise. I never run. Although, I can shop for a few hours without my legs tiring, or getting out of breath. I can bring several bags of groceries up two flights of stairs to my apartment. I become slightly out of breath, but only for less than a minute compared to several minutes to recover before transplant. I walked all over Disney World two years ago during my honeymoon. That was a little difficult because of the heat. By the third day, my legs gave out. I was exhausted. I did pretty well though the first two days. Let me know if you have any more questions.

I've been writing all about my experiences on my blog- http://www.acreativenewmie.com