2-hr OGTT worries

rubyroselee

Hi,
I know a 2-hr OGTT test is common for us CFers to have to go through. After convincing my doc that I think my sugars have been off, he ordered me one. However, I'm totally scared to take the test! Based on the values I've gotten at home on my glucose monitor and my symptoms, I know that I'm going to go high and then come crashing down hard and get super hypoglycemic. Is it OK if I bring some sugar/food to the test in case that happens to me and I have to quit before the 2 hours? I mean, obviously I don't want to get too low, but it happens so fast, I feel like I'm not going to be able to complete the test. Maybe I'm worrying for nothing and my anxiety is getting the best of me! LOL
Thanks for any input!

imported_Momto2

Leah, have them be ready with a glucagon kit in case you start feeling funky. Thats the best for severe hypogycemia. I carry an emergency pen with me.

Printer

Leah:

I had two tests done (over 2 years) At Lowell General. You will he in a hospital setting, relax and bring a good book to read.

Good luck.
Bill

rubyroselee

Thanks. One other question....do you know your results as you do the test (ie. Finger prick) or do they draw blood and send it to the lab (ie. Tube of blood)?

jaimers

Super Moderator
When I had mine done recently it was actual blood draws. They put in a small peripheral IV in my hand and drew them off that until it blew half way through the process and then they just did a couple more regular sticks. Good luck! As the others have said let them know ahead of time or right when you arrive about your concerns and they'll be able to help you. I think the worst part of the process is how bad the glucose drink tastes! :p

rubyroselee

Thanks everyone. I bought a puzzle book tonight so I can keep my mind off the test. I will let them know my concerns ahead of time, so hopefully all will be perfectly fine. Do the results take long to come back?

triples15

Super Moderator
Exactly what I was going to say, just let them know when you get there that you have been testing at home and have concerns about hypoglycemia. That way they can be prepared, and it will put your mind at ease.

The results don't take long to come back, but they may make you wait to hear the results from your doctor's office. When I had a 2 hour while I was pregnant they took the fasting sample and were directed that if the fasting was above a certain number they were not to proceed with the glucola. So we had to wait until the fasting result came back from the lab before proceeding, and I want to say it was about 20 minutes. So not long at all. Just the time it took for the nurse for to run it down there and them to test it really.

Good luck to you!! I need to be going in for mine, but I've been putting it off. No fun! ;)

Autumn

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
With ds they've always told us to have him sit quietly or just sit in the waiting area. They don't want him walking around exerting energy... So he usually watches Netflix on the ipad. As for results, we usually get it back with his other labs later in the week.

rubyroselee

Hi all,
Thanks for all your encouraging words. Apparently I was worrying for nothing. The test went just fine and I didn't have any reactive hypoglycemia. In fact, my test came back normal. My fasting was slightly above normal at 115 (would've liked to see that a bit lower), but at least my 2-hour was under 140. Looks like the glucose monitor I bought over the counter is not accurate. It has been showing much higher values. So I'm happy that it's over with and I'm fine for now. Thanks!