2 Yr Old

S

scm1226

my two year old has been showing spots in her lungs so they decided to do a bronchoscopy. Well the Xray did not show the extent of how much mucus was actually in her lungs. They are running the cultures and we will know by tuesday if we are headed back depending on what is cultured. She hardly coughs, she is gaining weight, running, laughing, NO Visable signs of alot of mucus. Has anyone encountered this before, where they were surprised to see the amount of mucus that was present?

ponytails

We have had this as well. It started when mine was 1 1/2. It led to bronchiectasis in lower lobe by age 3. She had no symptoms either. Cultured mrsa but wasn't treated due to no clinical presentation (cough,etc). If I knew then what I know now I would've been much more proactive. Do manual CPT, try postural drainage techniques, don't let the mucus win!

mama2max

My son was just diagnosed with bronchiectasis, PONYTAILS, and I am concerned/confused at this diagnosis. How many treatments are you having to do now? Max is 4 and I heard the thickening of lower lobe is irreversible. Any more info on this?

ponytails

Hi, mama2max. Have they put your son in for a tune up yet? My daughter went on IVs once a year at ages 3,4 and 5 to try to clear up that area of bronchiectasis. For the first 2 years the area got about 50% better. Last year there was only mild improvement. I would suggest at least trying a tuneup. Unfortunately, there will be at least some part that is irreversible. With that being said, My daughters recent xray has shown improvement with no hospitalization or antibiotics! We have chosen not to do a voluntary admit this year due to these improvements. This is what we've changed. Some of these were my ideas and though the clinic did not suggest them, they were on board. We decided to up her treatments from 2x a day to 3x a day. We use albuterol and hyp. Sal each 3 x aday and pulmozyme once a day. We ramp her vest from 8hz to 18 hz at 10 pressure, 3x aday for 30 min. We use a PEP device that's screwed onto her neb cups with each treatment while she's vesting. Pulmozyme done with PEP but after vest and at night. We also started a supplement of liposomal glutathione which has shown improvments with her FEF. She does lots of physical activity ( ballet, gymnastics, jazz and probably most importantly yoga) and she does breath work with our yoga teacher 3x a week. Don't despair, with all of this my daughters Fev is 127% of predicted and her Fef went from 80% to 130% of predicted and has remained this way for 6 months. If you have anymore questions I'm happy to help. Good luck!