A Trust- putting $ in the right place

Misslove1027

I've been told to put $ from my savings into a trust. This way it won't look like an asset (which will be helpful in future, as far as financial decisions). This way it won't hold me back from being eligable for financial help(medically, educationally, etc). I am currently on SSDI and I work part time, this $ is from a divorce I went through. So I need to protect it in case I get into financial trouble for being unable to work in the future. It's all I have as far as a nest egg.

Has anyone else done this same thing? And if so, can you give me pointers. I'm looking at Trusts online and I don't really understand all of it, such as, if I put my $ in a trust and end up needing some in the future (to pay off my car, etc) can I use it at that point? I'm not in a situation to tie up my $ and let it sit, I still need to use it now and again, and need for it to be available.

Thanks in advance for any help. I certainly appreciate it.

LouLou

I don't know how you go about this but I want to applaud you for planning ahead! Maybe you could get advice from Beth Sufian's law firm? Could you update this thread once you figure out a path forward so others can learn from your experience?

Misslove1027

Hi LouLou,
Yes I will keep you updated. I'm going to look into meeting with attorneys who offer free consultations. But I will also contact Beth, she's been helpful in the past.

julie

A trust is considered an asset. For social security and for state benefit purposes. Overseas or in a friends account is where you can "hide" it. A trust won't do you any good