A1c - please help...advice...encouragement....prayer

kitomd21

(also posted in Families section)

Help guys...my daughter's A1c is 6.1 (result from July). Her doctor didn't say anything about CFRD. We do a similar test in my world of medicine (dog & cat) which would say that the patient is a diabetic given a certain test result range for fructosamine.

I brought a copy of the bloodwork to her nutritionist appointment today and she really raised an eyebrow at the 6.1 level. There wasn't a good explanation as to why her doctor didn't mention anything to me or express concern...or at least schedule a recheck.

My daughter's weight gain has been poor and she never expresses hunger - the nutritionist believes this could be related to CFRD (with further testing needed for confirmation of CFRD, of course). She's going to speak with her doctor and get back to me regarding the next step sometime next week.

My questions -
1. Has your child (or yourself) had a level slightly above high end of normal (high end being 6.0) and not been diagnosed with CFRD upon follow-up?

2. Is her doctor an A** for not noting this value?! (when would something have been caught had I not informed the nutritionist?!)

3. How old were you or your little one upon diagnosis of CFRD?

***** edit *****

I've been reaserching CFRD this evening and freaking myself out.

Any further advice, help, encouragement...anything...would be appreciated.

M

MCGrad2006

I believe that A1C level above 7.0 would be considered CFRD. With that, there are many different reports (as you know from your research I am sure) as to what is normal. I have a level of 6.1 or 6.5 at times and have never had any more tests to look into CFRD. They say the likely tell tale signs would be head aches, nausea, significant weight loss. I have researched it many times, because I also thought my levels were high and I had some vague symptoms. I also think your daughter seems very young to be tested for CFRD, it does not typically appear at such young ages, more into the 20's and 30's (as far as CFers).

If you are concerned, talk to your doctor, I am sure he/she would have a valid reason as to why they were not more worried. Try not to worry, I know what you are feeling. I have not felt this way toward my own children (dont have any yet), but I have gone through the worries of potential CFRD in myself. I know what you are going through. See it through and if your doctor is not worried, try not to be yourself.

kitomd21

Thanks Caitlin. I'm definitely one of those people that jumps onto the Internet and starts researching like mad when I have a concern. Doing so often results in greater stress - too much information, misinformation, etc. Ugh. I would hope that her doctor didn't accidentally overlook her A1c value...I hope you're right. Waiting to hear from him until next week is so tough...

zoe4life

Heh Katie....
Sorry you are worried...I was too with Zoe's numbers. She went throught the whole 3 hours of glucose testing for cfrd. Her A1c is 5.7. I have her lab report right here in front of me....I am going to type exactly what is on it for you.

4.1 to 6.5 non diabetic range
< 7.0 ADA goal for diabetics
7.0 to 8.0 good glycemic control
> 8.0 corrective action suggested

I hope this helps you out. Even with Zoe's A1c being 5.7....and her fasting numbers being high...they STILL did not feel it was time to diagnose her with cfrd. THEN she started gaining weight right after that...:)

Take care,

kitomd21

Thanks Jada...the range on Ellie's labwork is somewhere around the 4.0 mark to 5.9. I think I prefer the range on your paperwork!!! I spoke to her doctor...he's a crotchety ol' guy who basically seems rushed whenever spoken to. He acts like he's "been there, done that" with every question or concern I may have. He ordered a pre/post-prandial confirmatory test but I think that was only to appease me. He said he wasn't worried about the 6.1 value and that the CFF is likely going to drop the A1c value entirely in diagnosing CFRD. Her dietician really worried me with her "I rarely see a number like this in someone her age". I'll keep you posted. Thanks again.

peter

Hi Katie,
This is a link from cff.org on cfrd. Either it will interest you or the 75 pages may put you to sleep. Nevertheless it's authors are highly regarded in cfrd treatment and research. Dana Harden is really special. This iPad doesn't seem to allow me to give an uplink. But you can cut and paste it if need be. <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.cff.org/LivingWithCF/StayingHealthy/Diet/Diabetes/.">http://www.cff.org/LivingWithC...ealthy/Diet/Diabetes/.</a> Really thorough.
Peter