A1c

kitomd21

Help guys...my daughter's A1c is 6.1 (result from July). Her doctor didn't say anything about CFRD. We do a similar test in my world of medicine (dog & cat) which would say that the patient is a diabetic given a certain test result range for fructosamine.

I brought a copy of the bloodwork to her nutritionist appointment today and she really raised an eyebrow at the 6.1 level. There wasn't a good explanation as to why her doctor didn't mention anything to me or express concern...or at least schedule a recheck.

My daughter's weight gain has been poor and she never expresses hunger - the nutritionist believes this could be related to CFRD (with further testing needed for confirmation of CFRD, of course). She's going to speak with her doctor and get back to me regarding the next step sometime next week.

My questions -
1. Has your child (or yourself) had a level slightly above high end of normal (high end being 6.0) and not been diagnosed with CFRD upon follow-up?

2. Is her doctor an A** for not noting this value?! (when would something have been caught had I not informed the nutritionist?!)

3. How old were you or your little one upon diagnosis of CFRD?

***** edit *****

I've been reaserching CFRD this evening and freaking myself out.

Any further advice, help, encouragement...anything...would be appreciated.

kitomd21

Help guys...my daughter's A1c is 6.1 (result from July). Her doctor didn't say anything about CFRD. We do a similar test in my world of medicine (dog & cat) which would say that the patient is a diabetic given a certain test result range for fructosamine.

I brought a copy of the bloodwork to her nutritionist appointment today and she really raised an eyebrow at the 6.1 level. There wasn't a good explanation as to why her doctor didn't mention anything to me or express concern...or at least schedule a recheck.

My daughter's weight gain has been poor and she never expresses hunger - the nutritionist believes this could be related to CFRD (with further testing needed for confirmation of CFRD, of course). She's going to speak with her doctor and get back to me regarding the next step sometime next week.

My questions -
1. Has your child (or yourself) had a level slightly above high end of normal (high end being 6.0) and not been diagnosed with CFRD upon follow-up?

2. Is her doctor an A** for not noting this value?! (when would something have been caught had I not informed the nutritionist?!)

3. How old were you or your little one upon diagnosis of CFRD?

***** edit *****

I've been reaserching CFRD this evening and freaking myself out.

Any further advice, help, encouragement...anything...would be appreciated.

kitomd21

<br />
<br />I brought a copy of the bloodwork to her nutritionist appointment today and she really raised an eyebrow at the 6.1 level. There wasn't a good explanation as to why her doctor didn't mention anything to me or express concern...or at least schedule a recheck.
<br />
<br />My daughter's weight gain has been poor and she never expresses hunger - the nutritionist believes this could be related to CFRD (with further testing needed for confirmation of CFRD, of course). She's going to speak with her doctor and get back to me regarding the next step sometime next week.
<br />
<br />My questions -
<br />1. Has your child (or yourself) had a level slightly above high end of normal (high end being 6.0) and not been diagnosed with CFRD upon follow-up?
<br />
<br />2. Is her doctor an A** for not noting this value?! (when would something have been caught had I not informed the nutritionist?!)
<br />
<br />3. How old were you or your little one upon diagnosis of CFRD?
<br />
<br />***** edit *****
<br />
<br />I've been reaserching CFRD this evening and freaking myself out.
<br />
<br />Any further advice, help, encouragement...anything...would be appreciated.

mag6125

Hi Katie,

I was diagnosed with CFRD at age 16 and I think at the time my A1c had been slightly high and my docs ordered a fasting-glucose to double check. There is also a history of diabetes in my family so my docs were paying close attention to my numbers to begin with. I know when my sugar is out of wack or I'm not keeping up with my insulin I tend to have low to no appetite and problems gaining/keeping weight on. The fasting-glucose test is what you need for a difinitive diagnosis, I would definitely bring it up to your doc. Good luck with everything!

mag6125

Hi Katie,

I was diagnosed with CFRD at age 16 and I think at the time my A1c had been slightly high and my docs ordered a fasting-glucose to double check. There is also a history of diabetes in my family so my docs were paying close attention to my numbers to begin with. I know when my sugar is out of wack or I'm not keeping up with my insulin I tend to have low to no appetite and problems gaining/keeping weight on. The fasting-glucose test is what you need for a difinitive diagnosis, I would definitely bring it up to your doc. Good luck with everything!

mag6125

Hi Katie,
<br />
<br />I was diagnosed with CFRD at age 16 and I think at the time my A1c had been slightly high and my docs ordered a fasting-glucose to double check. There is also a history of diabetes in my family so my docs were paying close attention to my numbers to begin with. I know when my sugar is out of wack or I'm not keeping up with my insulin I tend to have low to no appetite and problems gaining/keeping weight on. The fasting-glucose test is what you need for a difinitive diagnosis, I would definitely bring it up to your doc. Good luck with everything!

robert321

I was dxed with cfrd a couple years ago, my a1c was slightly elevated (don't remember what it was) but the only effect I've seen from it is when the sugars get higher I lose some weight and my appitite goes down.
It's certainly managable

robert321

I was dxed with cfrd a couple years ago, my a1c was slightly elevated (don't remember what it was) but the only effect I've seen from it is when the sugars get higher I lose some weight and my appitite goes down.
It's certainly managable

robert321

<br />It's certainly managable