About tomorrow

Mockingbird

"No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth. For this reason I say to you, do not be worried about your life, as to what you will eat or what you will drink; nor for your body, as to what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth more than they? And who of you by being worried can add a single hour to his life? And why are you worried about clothing? Observe how the lilies of the field grow; they do not toil nor do they spin, yet I say to you that not even Solomon in all his glory clothed himself like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, will He not much more clothe you? You of little faith! Do not worry, then, saying, 'What will we eat?' or 'What will we drink?' or 'What will we wear for clothing?' For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things; for your heavenly Father knows that you need these things. But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:24-34

I am sure I seem like a complete idiot, posting this quote at this time. We can all see with our own eyes God does not always provide for our physical needs, especially with the recent topics concerning health insurance and health care. Furthermore, we see the world rife with starvation and poverty, and while the birds and flowers seem to be getting along all right, it seems to us the race of man is left wanting.

What, then is the meaning of this passage? Is it just empty words so we can provide mindless comfort to each other and ignore reality? The answer is no, these are not empty words, nor are they meant to provide comfort. Where it says, "Do not worry about your life," this is not a suggestion, but a command. We are told not to worry about our own lives because of the fundamental truth, "No one can serve two masters." If we worry about our life, that is, we give service to our worry, then we neglect the service of God. How many times have we refrained from fulfilling our tithe because rent was due, or because we need to pay for medication, or some other expense? How many times have we neglected the study or worship of God because we are busy with work or other commitments? I ask these questions in all humility.

What are we to do? Should we neglect our lives in faith that God will indeed provide? As pointed out before, God does not always provide. So then, if God does not provide does that mean we have lacked faith? Not at all! Despite what we see with our eyes, it is a true statement, "Seek first His kingdom and His righteousness and all these things will be added to you."

Please allow me to explain. We are told Solomon, who was given such wisdom that there was never and shall never be anyone like him, was not clothed as the lilies of the field. So, the lilies were clothed greater than Solomon, and we are told we will be clothed even more than the lilies! We are reminded of the passage, "For we know that if the earthly tent which is our house is torn down, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. For indeed in this house we groan, longing to be clothed with our dwelling from heaven, inasmuch as we, having put it on, will not be found naked. For indeed while we are in this tent, we groan, being burdened, because we do not want to be unclothed but to be clothed, so that which is mortal may be swallowed up by life." 2 Corinthians 5:1-4

Therefore, we realize what it means that we will be clothed even greater, for Solomon was clothed with earthly clothing, but God provides for us eternal clothing, made in heaven. And, if our clothing is eternal, should not our food be eternal as well? For Jesus says, "The bread of God is that which comes down out of heaven, and gives life to the world." and, "I am the bread of life; he who comes to Me will not hunger, and he who believes in Me will never thirst." John 6:33,35.

Once again, we are not comforted by these words, but rather we are instructed by them. For the man who comes to Christ may indeed feel physical hunger and starvation, but he recognizes that the bread of God is greater than the bread of the earth. We recall when Satan tempted Jesus, suggesting He satisfy His hunger by turning stones to bread, yet Jesus replied, "Man does not live by bread alone, but man lives by everything that proceeds out of the mouth of the Lord" Deuteronomy 8:3. When our physical needs are provided for, we rejoice, but when they are not, we do not worry.

It is the same with health care. We cannot deny there are people who fall through the cracks, no matter which health care system is in place. However, we can be confident that God is able to catch us, no matter how many cracks we might fall through.

Of course, it is one thing to say and quite another to do. Do not think that I myself have achieved this level of faith. Still, it is what we are striving toward, reminding ourselves always of the insurance we have in Christ.

Mockingbird

"No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth. For this reason I say to you, do not be worried about your life, as to what you will eat or what you will drink; nor for your body, as to what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth more than they? And who of you by being worried can add a single hour to his life? And why are you worried about clothing? Observe how the lilies of the field grow; they do not toil nor do they spin, yet I say to you that not even Solomon in all his glory clothed himself like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, will He not much more clothe you? You of little faith! Do not worry, then, saying, 'What will we eat?' or 'What will we drink?' or 'What will we wear for clothing?' For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things; for your heavenly Father knows that you need these things. But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:24-34

I am sure I seem like a complete idiot, posting this quote at this time. We can all see with our own eyes God does not always provide for our physical needs, especially with the recent topics concerning health insurance and health care. Furthermore, we see the world rife with starvation and poverty, and while the birds and flowers seem to be getting along all right, it seems to us the race of man is left wanting.

What, then is the meaning of this passage? Is it just empty words so we can provide mindless comfort to each other and ignore reality? The answer is no, these are not empty words, nor are they meant to provide comfort. Where it says, "Do not worry about your life," this is not a suggestion, but a command. We are told not to worry about our own lives because of the fundamental truth, "No one can serve two masters." If we worry about our life, that is, we give service to our worry, then we neglect the service of God. How many times have we refrained from fulfilling our tithe because rent was due, or because we need to pay for medication, or some other expense? How many times have we neglected the study or worship of God because we are busy with work or other commitments? I ask these questions in all humility.

What are we to do? Should we neglect our lives in faith that God will indeed provide? As pointed out before, God does not always provide. So then, if God does not provide does that mean we have lacked faith? Not at all! Despite what we see with our eyes, it is a true statement, "Seek first His kingdom and His righteousness and all these things will be added to you."

Please allow me to explain. We are told Solomon, who was given such wisdom that there was never and shall never be anyone like him, was not clothed as the lilies of the field. So, the lilies were clothed greater than Solomon, and we are told we will be clothed even more than the lilies! We are reminded of the passage, "For we know that if the earthly tent which is our house is torn down, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. For indeed in this house we groan, longing to be clothed with our dwelling from heaven, inasmuch as we, having put it on, will not be found naked. For indeed while we are in this tent, we groan, being burdened, because we do not want to be unclothed but to be clothed, so that which is mortal may be swallowed up by life." 2 Corinthians 5:1-4

Therefore, we realize what it means that we will be clothed even greater, for Solomon was clothed with earthly clothing, but God provides for us eternal clothing, made in heaven. And, if our clothing is eternal, should not our food be eternal as well? For Jesus says, "The bread of God is that which comes down out of heaven, and gives life to the world." and, "I am the bread of life; he who comes to Me will not hunger, and he who believes in Me will never thirst." John 6:33,35.

Once again, we are not comforted by these words, but rather we are instructed by them. For the man who comes to Christ may indeed feel physical hunger and starvation, but he recognizes that the bread of God is greater than the bread of the earth. We recall when Satan tempted Jesus, suggesting He satisfy His hunger by turning stones to bread, yet Jesus replied, "Man does not live by bread alone, but man lives by everything that proceeds out of the mouth of the Lord" Deuteronomy 8:3. When our physical needs are provided for, we rejoice, but when they are not, we do not worry.

It is the same with health care. We cannot deny there are people who fall through the cracks, no matter which health care system is in place. However, we can be confident that God is able to catch us, no matter how many cracks we might fall through.

Of course, it is one thing to say and quite another to do. Do not think that I myself have achieved this level of faith. Still, it is what we are striving toward, reminding ourselves always of the insurance we have in Christ.

Mockingbird

Mockingbird

Mockingbird

Mockingbird

JORDYSMOM

Hi Mockingbird

I am fairly new here, but I have been doing a lot of reading in this section. I have also checked out your website. I just wanted to say that I appreciate your posts. I can even say I have been comforted by them.

I saw a sign on a church billboard a while back. It said worry is a symptom of lack of faith. I must admit that I have been called the queen of worry. Sometimes I just can't help it. In the end, however, I always find comfort in prayer. I know God provides for me and I appreciate you reminding me of it today.

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

Hi Mockingbird

I am fairly new here, but I have been doing a lot of reading in this section. I have also checked out your website. I just wanted to say that I appreciate your posts. I can even say I have been comforted by them.

I saw a sign on a church billboard a while back. It said worry is a symptom of lack of faith. I must admit that I have been called the queen of worry. Sometimes I just can't help it. In the end, however, I always find comfort in prayer. I know God provides for me and I appreciate you reminding me of it today.

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

Hi Mockingbird

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

Hi Mockingbird

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

Hi Mockingbird

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

Hi Mockingbird

Stacey