ACNE and anti-rejection meds

T

theDUDE

Today the doctor said the prednisone will make me break out post tx, is there anyway to clear my skin up? how bad are the breakouts?

T

theDUDE

Today the doctor said the prednisone will make me break out post tx, is there anyway to clear my skin up? how bad are the breakouts?

T

theDUDE

T

theDUDE

T

theDUDE

coltsfan715

Hey there again and no worries with asking questions.

I know for me I had bad breakouts in the immediate time following my transplant because of the prednisone. I hated it not because of the breakout really cause I never really break out on my face with prednisone - but all over my chest and shoulder area. For me it lasted about 1 month then it started to clear up - by the end of the 2nd month my skin was clear and it hasn't been an issue since my prednisone dose has been stepped down.

I will say though I tried EVERYTHING I could get my hands on and only one thing really worked to help clear it up. I used GrassRoots - "The Best and The Brightest" it is a face scrub. It isn't really harsh which is good but it really helps slough off the unnecessary crap on your skin. I would definitely recommend trying it. I seriously tried a TON of stuff - even proactive which worked for me before transplant but wasn't so effective afterward.

Hope that helps - the break outs will probably happen but the bright side is that they are not permanent in most cases. Initially all the side effects from all the meds are pretty extreme because you body is gettin adjusted to a new regimen and new things. As time passes and your med doses are lowered and your body gets used to things it gets better. I am back to the way my skin was pre transplant - I am now 8 months post and my skin has been back to "normal" since about 2-3 months.

It is a minor inconvenience but it will go away.

Best Wishes,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

I know for me I had bad breakouts in the immediate time following my transplant because of the prednisone. I hated it not because of the breakout really cause I never really break out on my face with prednisone - but all over my chest and shoulder area. For me it lasted about 1 month then it started to clear up - by the end of the 2nd month my skin was clear and it hasn't been an issue since my prednisone dose has been stepped down.

I will say though I tried EVERYTHING I could get my hands on and only one thing really worked to help clear it up. I used GrassRoots - "The Best and The Brightest" it is a face scrub. It isn't really harsh which is good but it really helps slough off the unnecessary crap on your skin. I would definitely recommend trying it. I seriously tried a TON of stuff - even proactive which worked for me before transplant but wasn't so effective afterward.

Hope that helps - the break outs will probably happen but the bright side is that they are not permanent in most cases. Initially all the side effects from all the meds are pretty extreme because you body is gettin adjusted to a new regimen and new things. As time passes and your med doses are lowered and your body gets used to things it gets better. I am back to the way my skin was pre transplant - I am now 8 months post and my skin has been back to "normal" since about 2-3 months.

Best Wishes,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Best Wishes,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Best Wishes,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Best Wishes,
Lindsey

F

fr3ak

I never had any breakouts from tx or the pred...

So can't help ya there!

F

fr3ak

So can't help ya there!

F

fr3ak

So can't help ya there!

F

fr3ak

So can't help ya there!

F

fr3ak

So can't help ya there!

summer732

I had a bad breakout the first couple of days after my transplant. it was all over my chest too and I think the docs thought it was more from Prograf then from the Prednisone.

I have been on a steady dose of 20 mgs of prednisone since May. I was fine until about October when my face started breaking out and getting very oily. Luckily, they lowered my dose to 15 mgs so it cleared things up. Unfortunately, i just started another bump and taper (40mgs, then 30 mgs, then 20mgs) to clear up a cold I have right now. So I will probably break out a little.

Just be diligent about washing your face and getting rid of that excess oil. And it's true, once the meds are lowered and your body adjusts the side effects really aren't that extreme any more. so remember, anything that happens in teh beginning is most likely temporary.

summer732

I had a bad breakout the first couple of days after my transplant. it was all over my chest too and I think the docs thought it was more from Prograf then from the Prednisone.

I have been on a steady dose of 20 mgs of prednisone since May. I was fine until about October when my face started breaking out and getting very oily. Luckily, they lowered my dose to 15 mgs so it cleared things up. Unfortunately, i just started another bump and taper (40mgs, then 30 mgs, then 20mgs) to clear up a cold I have right now. So I will probably break out a little.

Just be diligent about washing your face and getting rid of that excess oil. And it's true, once the meds are lowered and your body adjusts the side effects really aren't that extreme any more. so remember, anything that happens in teh beginning is most likely temporary.

summer732

summer732

summer732