ADA violation at 'MasterCuts', Mesa, AZ.

azdesertrat

On Monday, 13 Jan. I walked in to the 'MasterCuts' franchise inside Superstition Springs Mall in Mesa, AZ with the intent of getting my hair cut. (Fancy that!)
There was one other customer in the store. She was an elderly lady & was getting her hair colored.
The fumes from the dye were almost overpowering.
I asked the young lady who was going to cut my hair if we could please move to the far side of the room. I explained I have cystic fibrosis, a chronic lung disease & I couldn't take the fumes from the hair dye.
The young lady became hostile, like I had asked her to give me her paycheck or something!
She moved her equipment to a station about 10 ft. from the lady getting her hair dyed. She asked if THAT was far enough away.
I started to reply 'yes'; but I thought, "This is ridiculous. I'm not asking for a lot." I asked her again if we could please move to a station at the far end of the room. She became even more hostile.
She moved her equipment again, this time to the station I asked for.
By that time, I was getting pretty mad. I told her that her attitude sucked & that I wasn't getting my hair cut that day.
On the way out, I asked her name. She replied, "You don't need to know that."
I went to Guest Relations at the mall & filed a complaint form. When I got home I called Corporate.
Today they finally called me back. They offered a free haircut at a different store. I told the lady from Corporate, no thanks...
If I thought I could be successful, I would sue citing the Americans With Disabilities Act. However, it's kind of a 'He said, She said' kind of deal.
Has anybody got any ideas what I should do? I don't think a free haircut makes up for the attitude directed at me.
I was not rude to the stylist, even after she was very rude to me.
The only time I displayed anger was when I told her that her attitude sucked. I'm still pretty pissed off over this whole situation.
What would you do? Any comments are welcome.
Thank you & be well.

Liza

Sure wish you'd been able to get her name or see her name tag. I would have requested of the corporate office that you wished to receive a formal apology from the manager of that particular location with assurances that the hairdresser in question would receive proper training on how to handle a simple request from a customer. Perhaps scouting them out and looking for her when it's a little more populated and then asking another employee what her name is so you have it to give to corporate. Be sure to fill out a review of that location on the various review sites like yelp and warn your friends on FB to use caution if they decide to use them and make it a public post. That way, if anyone decides to go in and let them know why they have chosen to not use them. Glad to see that you did not go through with getting your hair cut with that girl though, there's no telling what she might have done to your hair!

azdesertrat

Thanks Liza.
Yea, I got in touch with Corporate. They offered me a free haircut. I told them, thanks- but no thanks.
My Sis-in-Law is like a bulldog when something like this happens. She is very familiar with my situation & all the physical crap I've had to deal with. She called me & gave me the stylist's name, the whole bit.
After they offered a free haircut, I told her (Sis) that she could take care of it.
She will.
I couldn't believe that woman could be so unreasonable! It wasn't like I wanted to take her firstborn from her. I guess this is just some of the crap we have to put up with sometimes.
Fortunately, it doesn't happen often because people are so afraid of being sued.