Advice please-girlfriend with CF

M

mommy w/ cf

It is so neat to see you truly searching out what this relationship would mean for you both. I am 23 And was diagnosed with cf when I was two. I have been married to the most amazingly supportive man for almost three years now. We have a son who is 1and 1/2 and is just a cf carrier with no symptoms. They are the best things that have ever happened to me. My man is my support and encouragement and him above all else is the reason I fight so hard to keep healthy.
Hopefully with this post I can give you a perspective of her potential fears and help you understand a tiny bit more what this relationship will entail. these were my personal fears, and to be honest, they are rather hard to share, but I feel that it may help you understand her perspective and help you out too! :)
my biggest fear of getting serious with a guy was that he would regret his decision to marry me because of my cf. the medical bills, sickness on occasion, and daily treatment regime are all real and sometimes daunting, but having married my husband, I have lost this fear of him regretting marrying me. In fact he is my biggest emotional support now. Sometimes life is hard... Even for non CF'ers, but my man is such a stability for me, constantly reminding me that I am in the Lord's hands and He knows what He is doing, even if we can't see it yet. This doesn't mean we are never sad because of health stuff going on, or that life with cf is a walk in the park all the time, but whose life is without hard times? Regular people just have different problems. These difficulties in life are what make us rely on our Creator and cling tightly to the ones we love. They form us into who we are. Though some things I have dealt with because of my cf were very hard, they have shaped me into what I am today and have caused me to look at life from a different perspective. One of hope in tomorrow and joy for today. I hope sincerely that you may find that as well with this girl of yours. :)
You mentioned briefly your fear of having to watch her decline and eventually loose her, and I so appreciate your openness with this fear. My husband has told me that exact fear on so many occasions, and to be honest, it has always scared me to death the thought of leaving him and our son. He did tell me his fear while we were dating... When we were starting to get more serious. We both cried, but it allowed us to be totally open with each other about our dreams and fears, and as a result I firmly believe it actually strengthened our relationship, instead of hindering it. This fear is something, to be brutally honest, that probably will always hang around in the back of your mind, as it probably will for her too. How you deal with it is probably the biggest thing. For my husband and I we realize that for everyone on this planet, not just CF'ers, every day is a gift from God. We do not know about tomorrow, but neither do healthy people. for all I know, God might decide to call my husband home to heaven before me. Looking at cf as being a death sentence is really a sad perspective, instead looking at it as a reminder to live every day as a gift is really the best way of viewing life.
Cf just forces us to come to that realization earlier in life when so many others don't recognize life as a gift until they are much older, if ever. Healthy people have the illusion of being able to live longer just because they do not have any visible illness, and sometimes forget that their lives are just as much a gift as a CF'ers. :) take heart and do not let these fears ruin what could be a very long and happy relationship.
I feel like my cf has brought my husband and I closer together. Cf does come with struggles, as does any medical issue, but his tenderness to me and his willingness to take care of me and love me through the rough times have brought us both so much closer.
You mentioned your desire to have kids, and what that would mean, and it definitely is a real concern. My husband and I decided to start a family right away because we knew my health may not always be this good. we do not know if he is a carrier, but we realized that even though I was scared of having a cf child, I would be able to give him or her the support system I never had growing up. There is nothing like your mommy having to do the same treatment as you to make them seem not so miserable when you would rather be out playing with your friends.
The Lord blessed us with a son, and my health did dip some after having him, so my husband and I have been forced to hold off on having anymore for awhile. We are still hoping though that my health does improve so that we can have more kids. The thought of possibly not having any more kids was really hard for me to accept at first, and sometimes it still makes me sad, but I realized that we are so blessed to even have one, and that we will not keep living life with sadness over what we couldn't have, but instead live with joy because of what we do have.
I guess that is our relationship in an itty bitty nut shell, and I hope it helps some. We embrace each day as a gift and boy is it wonderful spending our life together!
Hey! Just a heads up, there has never been a better time to have cf, they are coming out with so many good, effective treatments that there is not really a good age estimate anymore of how long a CF'er will live. Plus, they are working supper hard on medication to treat what causes cf instead of just treating the symptoms, which is all they have done up to this point. I can't wait to someday watch my grand babies grow up ?

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
What a beautiful post. I pray our son grows up as strong and wise as you and meets a woman as wonderful as your DH. That was so very kind of you to open your heart to share!
It is so neat to see you truly searching out what this relationship would mean for you both. I am 23 And was diagnosed with cf when I was two. I have been married to the most amazingly supportive man for almost three years now. We have a son who is 1and 1/2 and is just a cf carrier with no symptoms. They are the best things that have ever happened to me. My man is my support and encouragement and him above all else is the reason I fight so hard to keep healthy.
Hopefully with this post I can give you a perspective of her potential fears and help you understand a tiny bit more what this relationship will entail. these were my personal fears, and to be honest, they are rather hard to share, but I feel that it may help you understand her perspective and help you out too! :)
my biggest fear of getting serious with a guy was that he would regret his decision to marry me because of my cf. the medical bills, sickness on occasion, and daily treatment regime are all real and sometimes daunting, but having married my husband, I have lost this fear of him regretting marrying me. In fact he is my biggest emotional support now. Sometimes life is hard... Even for non CF'ers, but my man is such a stability for me, constantly reminding me that I am in the Lord's hands and He knows what He is doing, even if we can't see it yet. This doesn't mean we are never sad because of health stuff going on, or that life with cf is a walk in the park all the time, but whose life is without hard times? Regular people just have different problems. These difficulties in life are what make us rely on our Creator and cling tightly to the ones we love. They form us into who we are. Though some things I have dealt with because of my cf were very hard, they have shaped me into what I am today and have caused me to look at life from a different perspective. One of hope in tomorrow and joy for today. I hope sincerely that you may find that as well with this girl of yours. :)
You mentioned briefly your fear of having to watch her decline and eventually loose her, and I so appreciate your openness with this fear. My husband has told me that exact fear on so many occasions, and to be honest, it has always scared me to death the thought of leaving him and our son. He did tell me his fear while we were dating... When we were starting to get more serious. We both cried, but it allowed us to be totally open with each other about our dreams and fears, and as a result I firmly believe it actually strengthened our relationship, instead of hindering it. This fear is something, to be brutally honest, that probably will always hang around in the back of your mind, as it probably will for her too. How you deal with it is probably the biggest thing. For my husband and I we realize that for everyone on this planet, not just CF'ers, every day is a gift from God. We do not know about tomorrow, but neither do healthy people. for all I know, God might decide to call my husband home to heaven before me. Looking at cf as being a death sentence is really a sad perspective, instead looking at it as a reminder to live every day as a gift is really the best way of viewing life.
Cf just forces us to come to that realization earlier in life when so many others don't recognize life as a gift until they are much older, if ever. Healthy people have the illusion of being able to live longer just because they do not have any visible illness, and sometimes forget that their lives are just as much a gift as a CF'ers. :) take heart and do not let these fears ruin what could be a very long and happy relationship.
I feel like my cf has brought my husband and I closer together. Cf does come with struggles, as does any medical issue, but his tenderness to me and his willingness to take care of me and love me through the rough times have brought us both so much closer.
You mentioned your desire to have kids, and what that would mean, and it definitely is a real concern. My husband and I decided to start a family right away because we knew my health may not always be this good. we do not know if he is a carrier, but we realized that even though I was scared of having a cf child, I would be able to give him or her the support system I never had growing up. There is nothing like your mommy having to do the same treatment as you to make them seem not so miserable when you would rather be out playing with your friends.
The Lord blessed us with a son, and my health did dip some after having him, so my husband and I have been forced to hold off on having anymore for awhile. We are still hoping though that my health does improve so that we can have more kids. The thought of possibly not having any more kids was really hard for me to accept at first, and sometimes it still makes me sad, but I realized that we are so blessed to even have one, and that we will not keep living life with sadness over what we couldn't have, but instead live with joy because of what we do have.
I guess that is our relationship in an itty bitty nut shell, and I hope it helps some. We embrace each day as a gift and boy is it wonderful spending our life together!
Hey! Just a heads up, there has never been a better time to have cf, they are coming out with so many good, effective treatments that there is not really a good age estimate anymore of how long a CF'er will live. Plus, they are working supper hard on medication to treat what causes cf instead of just treating the symptoms, which is all they have done up to this point. I can't wait to someday watch my grand babies grow up 

Imogene

Administrator
MommywCF,
Last Sunday our minister Rev. Mark King (Marble Collegiate Church, NYC) gave a beautiful sermon on living life to the fullest. He gave as an example of someone with a life threatening disease as knowing how to live life and appreciate every moment.
I am sending him this beautifully written testimony of your couple life and love together. Peter and I have been married 46 years but there is always so much to learn about this relationship...
Thank you for this.
Salt and light,
Jeanne

triples15

Super Moderator
For the younger women out there with CF, could you help me out and let me know how much you would want to know about my thoughts, fears, concerns, etc? Lord willing that all things for us continue to grow and I can be the rock to support her through it all, but I need to ask and know what I would be supporting. Without scaring her in turn about my own concerns and fears.

Hi and welcome Falling!

I am really late to the ballgame here and don't feel I have much to add as there have been many great responses! Also not so sure I qualify as "young". Lol!

I just wanted to say when my husband and I were dating and still getting to know each other better, I WANTED him to ask me questions about CF. I felt strange just bringing things up and telling him about everything (wasn't sure how much info he wanted at that point), but yet I wanted him to know the realities and have a chance to "bow-out" pretty early on if it wasn't something he could handle. So I appreciated whenever he asked questions because it gave me an "in" to talk about it and kind of lay it out for him, without feeling like I was randomly going on about it. I also appreciated it because he had been googling, so I could straighten out whatever misinformation he had! :) I also told him very directly that he should think a lot about whether or not he could handle it in the long-term, because if not, I would rather we stop things now and I would not begrudge him for it at all. I'd say these conversations took place when we'd been together for about 4 months or so and were getting quite serious.

So I say ask away! :) If she's uncomfortable with your questions you'll pick up the cues and can back off a bit. I also say share away! Tell her your thoughts/feelings/concerns. Communication is HUGE (obviously) and honesty upfront will help you both as things progress in your relationship. She won't want to find out way down the road that you have all these fears/concerns and did not discuss them with her. Also, she has been dealing with this her whole life and might have helpful words to help you allay some of your concerns or give you a different perspective.

I have been married for 8 1/2 years and we have an amazing 3 year old daughter. She does not have CF. We had my husband carrier tested LONG before she was conceived, so we knew we were in the clear there. I should also say that we had a years long journey to getting pregnant. In fact we had completely given up on it when we found out I was pregnant. It was a total shock. As far as the wanting children goes, I'd say this... My husband and I both wanted a child very much. After years of trying, obstacle after obstacle, and no pregnancy, we slowly evolved into the mindset that we were not going to be parents. We were going to forever be a "family of two", and you know what? We were going to be fine. We were together. We loved each other. We got through things together, and we were happy. Yes, it was still gut wrenching to think we were not going to be parents, but it didn't mean we would have rather been with other people.

So here's the deal, if you love her, or think you're falling as you say, then my advice is to fall and come what may. You will face it together, head on. Every relationship has it's challenges and everybody has a cross to bear. Yes, with CF, you are guaranteed some additional challenges, but I think it sounds like you are up for it. Just based on you coming here and seeking out advice says a lot about you as a person, and your feelings for her.

Go with your gut (and heart), and peace be with you!!

Autumn 34 w/cf

FallingForHer

Thank you again everyone who posted. Hearing your stories and perspectives has really helped me while thinking things through. She has been out on vacation this last week and will see her again next weekend when she gets back. I am going to (slowly) be asking her more questions about her CF, how it impacts her, us, and what else we as a couple will encounter together. Send me a private message if you think of anything else to add, I'll check back here periodically. What I know right now is that I am falling for this girl and wouldn't have it be any other way. Be praying and again, thank you all :)
FallingForHer

W

welshwitch

Falling,

I'm the one with CF but I am so happy my boyfriend took a chance and still wanted to be with me despite my CF. We've been together almost 5 years now and it gets better every day! :) He's been with me through health struggles, but also all the OTHER things in life: job stress, family stress, financial stress, etc. etc. etc. CF is just one piece of the puzzle. I always like to say, "Let CF have a place at the table, but don't let it bully you out of what you want in life." (Sidenote: easier said than done.) I hope that you can navigate this challenge with her and she sounds like a great girl!

MGrossan

If you are seeking the absolute perfect girl, then get a robot.
In life you will always find some sort of imperfection: believe me, the nut cases, the emotionally impaired are the worst for a relationship - and yet ... That is what people in love do: they work together to help each other have love and happiness as best they can.
Already, it sounds like the fact that you care for her is making her healthier! Keep it up!

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
The Original Post was quite a while ago but hopefully you're still lurking around here.

I actually met my husband on eHarmony dating site 5 years ago. We just got married last month! My situation is a little different as I've already had my worst days behind me. I had a double lung transplant at 15 years old. I'm now almost 24. Healthy and happy! Although, I simply traded one thing for another. Instead of breathing treatments, it's a bunch of transplant meds instead. Anyway, I told my husband about my health issues right away. I am not one to hide things from others. His immediate response was that it didn't matter to him. A good person is simply a good person. Nothing beyond. He did tell me a little later that his mom and grandma had talked to him about it and just wanted him to realize what he could potentially getting into. Again. Didn't matter. I'm glad his mom had enough sense to ask instead of ignore.

If she understands the reality of CF she should not be freaked out by your fears. Don't dwell on something that hasn't even happened yet or might not ever happen. Live in the moment! Have one, maybe long serious talk about it and spend the rest of the time getting to know each other better. Private message me with any other questions or concerns. Best of luck to you and your girlfriend. (L)