AffloVest : any experience or thoughts

Kristan

Recently came across the AffloVest on another thread that was looking for innovative product ideas. I currently use the Hill Rom Vest, but would appreciate more flexibility. Anybody have one and willing to share their opinion? Thanks

donin

TreasureGoddess and Kristan - I'm going to Google it right now. My son and I have been on the road for transplant evaluations. Lugging the Hill Rom vest feels like one of the toughest parts. It's heavy and awkward and feels like the last straw in this difficult endeavor.

On an unrelated note - TreasureGoddess - how did you get the footer in your post (Mother of Joe,). I can't seem to edit my profile or add that footer. Thanks for any tips.

G

GoryLori

I JUST received my AFFLO Vest yesterday. The rep flew up from Florida to my home in Virginia to demo it (and hopefully get the sale!!). I had already read stories about it online from other users so I pitched it to my Home Care company to get me one. They asked "Don't you already have a "Vest", as in THE Hill-Rom Vest? I explained how I am not in possession of a personal Vest prescribed for me but rather, I am borrowing one from a friend who no longer needed it (since she died). Her family gifted it to me for as long as needed.....so they then called my CF Team and got a prescription. They then sent the claim to Blue Cross (BC) but it was DENIED, stating this was "not medically necessary"--DUH....Like monthly tune ups ARE acceptable all because I can't do effective chest physiotherapy?? I appealed and the CF Team appealed. Reversed immediately. So the Home Care folks told me BC will NEVER agree to buy it outright, but instead, will make monthly payments to the Afflo people for as long as I need it. Afflo has made a commitment to NOT sell their Vest for more than $13,000. You can buy it outright for that if you have the $$$. However, my Home Care folks said that AFTER 13 months of paying $1,150 each month for the rental fee, it is pretty much declared as PAID FOR and the patient then OWNS it. I'll know if I am still being billed post 13 months down the road if that holds.....So Yesterday, my NEW AFFLO-VEST arrived. I wished the carry bag was similar to THE VEST, with wheels and a telescoping handle, just for ease of travel.....I LOVE the NO TUBES ATTACHED part!! Nothing to POP off and no deflated Vest to fight with. OK....I am female and kinda have big breasts, so when I pull the 3 straps across my chest to lock and load, there is about an 8 inch gap where I feel I am not being covered by percussion. They say in the owners manual this is natural and expected...well how am I percussing my anterior lobes when they are NOT being covered??? Anyone got an answer for that?? Now, if you are a frail, thin, weak CFer....you might find it a challenge to get this Vest it on and wear it. It IS HEAVY...but can I overlook that and still want to invest in it?? I have a 90 day trial period and it began last night. I watched TV while "Vesting" and it was comfy and I have no complaints. Mind you, I am a FAT cystic so I have extra weight on board, so I did not struggle to get it on, but I know of those who WOULD have issues.........so try before you buy..........Fully charged, I ran it through 4 episodes of Gold Rush, on the Discovery Channel last night. That was 2 hours straight and it still had more than half the battery charge STILL left for this mornings Vesting. It also has a car plug so you can Vest away as a passenger in a vehicle with that old type of cigarette lighter plug in. I am using a size Large which IS the size I should be in. I tried an XL just to get the front chest closed-- but the Vest was so LONG, it was down to my knees!! So play around with it and do you internet homework by reading what others report to be their experience, and decide if it is the right durable medical equipment (DME) for your arsenal. I'll have a better opinion in 90 days, when I'll report back to BC and my CF Team with my 2 cents worth. Any other stories to share about your AFFLO VEST??? Please post for all to read....

mamaScarlett

I would love to try this. I found it on Pintrest of all places, and watched some of the videos out there. I don't see a chance in getting insurance to pay for it, or even to 'rent' it to me, since I already have a hillrom Vest under my current policy. But I'd love to try it out. Having 3 kids in the house, it would be really helpful to be able to get up and walk to another room when someone yells 'mommy!'. I think I'd still vest sitting, huff coughing, and really focusing on the task at hand though. But having the option of mobility would be so nice. Plus, since we travel alot, having a smaller and less heavy thing to lug around would be a huge help.