Airline travel

rosesixtyfive

Hi, All,We are taking a vacation ina few days, and it is our first time on an airplane with a child with CF, also an albuterol puffer. I want to carry the meds with me in a small lunch bag. Sam takes Tobi, HTS, Pulmozyme and enzymes daily. I don't want the medicine with the other luggage because I am afraid it will get lost. I know there are rules about what you can have on an airplane. Anyone have advice? How have you traveled the most easily in the past?Thanks,rosesixtyfive,mother of Sam (DDF508, 2 years old) and Robin (no CF, 7 years old)

rosesixtyfive

Hi, All,We are taking a vacation ina few days, and it is our first time on an airplane with a child with CF, also an albuterol puffer. I want to carry the meds with me in a small lunch bag. Sam takes Tobi, HTS, Pulmozyme and enzymes daily. I don't want the medicine with the other luggage because I am afraid it will get lost. I know there are rules about what you can have on an airplane. Anyone have advice? How have you traveled the most easily in the past?Thanks,rosesixtyfive,mother of Sam (DDF508, 2 years old) and Robin (no CF, 7 years old)

imported_Momto2

I have never had any problems taking medications and a (both handheld and plug in) nebulizer on a plane. To be safe, have them in the origional packaging with the script info. I'd never pack meds in checked luggage, far too scary. We have traveled quite a bit, not an issue. But do be prepared to be pulled aside and have your meds gone through : ) So far, all TSA agents I've encountered have been polite and professional, and I try to return the favor.

imported_Momto2

I have never had any problems taking medications and a (both handheld and plug in) nebulizer on a plane. To be safe, have them in the origional packaging with the script info. I'd never pack meds in checked luggage, far too scary. We have traveled quite a bit, not an issue. But do be prepared to be pulled aside and have your meds gone through : ) So far, all TSA agents I've encountered have been polite and professional, and I try to return the favor.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I pack DS' fridge meds in a small lunchbag cooler with a good icepack. Keep the tobi and pulmozyme in a baggy and in their original foil packaging with the script label taped to it. When we had liquid meds, did the same along with filled oral syringes for the day. Then pills I put in a plastic bag. Nowdays I travel with two weeks of pills in a daily medical pill box instead of all the individual bottles. Put albuterol/atrovent in another plastic bag. Pack that and neb cups & compressor in a backpack. Then we also have the Vest which we carry on and found it fits in the overhead on most planes or under the seat in front of us on a really small plane. I pack extra disposable neb cups in our luggage.

Sometimes TSA takes a little longer to scan the compressor, once had us turn it on. Same with the vest. Never have had an issue, just a little extra time to examine the nebulizer.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I pack DS' fridge meds in a small lunchbag cooler with a good icepack. Keep the tobi and pulmozyme in a baggy and in their original foil packaging with the script label taped to it. When we had liquid meds, did the same along with filled oral syringes for the day. Then pills I put in a plastic bag. Nowdays I travel with two weeks of pills in a daily medical pill box instead of all the individual bottles. Put albuterol/atrovent in another plastic bag. Pack that and neb cups & compressor in a backpack. Then we also have the Vest which we carry on and found it fits in the overhead on most planes or under the seat in front of us on a really small plane. I pack extra disposable neb cups in our luggage.

Sometimes TSA takes a little longer to scan the compressor, once had us turn it on. Same with the vest. Never have had an issue, just a little extra time to examine the nebulizer.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Oh and medical equipment is exempt from your carry-on allowance; however, we've never really over done it. Backpack with meds, vest bag, then a backpack with my purse in it along with Ipad, Kindle, books....

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Oh and medical equipment is exempt from your carry-on allowance; however, we've never really over done it. Backpack with meds, vest bag, then a backpack with my purse in it along with Ipad, Kindle, books....

rosesixtyfive

So, you guys think the big machine that goes with the vest and the nebulizer should come with us as carry-on luggage? I know the machine that goes with the vest is worth lots and lots of money. So, we should keep it with us?

rosesixtyfive

So, you guys think the big machine that goes with the vest and the nebulizer should come with us as carry-on luggage? I know the machine that goes with the vest is worth lots and lots of money. So, we should keep it with us?

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, it should be carried on and NOT checked. It could get damaged or lost! Not worth the risk!

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, it should be carried on and NOT checked. It could get damaged or lost! Not worth the risk!

jmom

I have another travel question while we're at it....I have heard that creon is heat-sensitive. We travel a lot in the summer by car in 100 degree weather. Does anybody keep their creon in their pants pocket, literally, rather than leave it in the hot car when walking around? Especially if we are not wanting to bother with keeping a cooler or ice chest. Are pants pockets okay or is body temp too high for the enzymes?
And good luck with your airplane trip!!!

jmom

I have another travel question while we're at it....I have heard that creon is heat-sensitive. We travel a lot in the summer by car in 100 degree weather. Does anybody keep their creon in their pants pocket, literally, rather than leave it in the hot car when walking around? Especially if we are not wanting to bother with keeping a cooler or ice chest. Are pants pockets okay or is body temp too high for the enzymes?
And good luck with your airplane trip!!!

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I keep it in my cargo shorts pocket at my inlaws lake home and when we've travelled to Orlando, although the temps have never gotten THAT hot. Although they have been mid to upper 80s before and there haven't been issues. I DID leave enzymes in the car; however, in a cooler with polarpac ice packs -- those REALLY, really good ones that last forever that you get from the CF pharmacy. They last forever.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I keep it in my cargo shorts pocket at my inlaws lake home and when we've travelled to Orlando, although the temps have never gotten THAT hot. Although they have been mid to upper 80s before and there haven't been issues. I DID leave enzymes in the car; however, in a cooler with polarpac ice packs -- those REALLY, really good ones that last forever that you get from the CF pharmacy. They last forever.

Beccamom

We also take nebs, compressor, meds, and vest on the plane as carry on. The only issue we had was on a small commuter plane in which the vest suitcase did not fit in the overhead or under the seat. I took the vest machine, vest, and hoses out of the bag and put them separately under the seat. Then the empty suitcase fit in the over head. I just wished I had them in separate plastic bags even a clear garbage bag for the vest machine because I fealt the need to disinfect it often on the vacation since the machine did touch the floor of the plane.

As for TSA I find that telling them upfront what you have makes things run much smoother. For example, I open the main part of the vest bag and tell the agent at the metal detector I walk through that I have medicine and medical equipment going through the screening. One time my daughter did have to put on her vest because none of the TSA agents had seen it before, but they just listened to her explain the equipment and did not have us completely assemble it.

Jen

GrandmomBEV

We have traveled a great deal. Erin goes back & forth to NC all the time , even for weekends, wedddings, etc. As well as travels with me to CF Conferences & Educ dates. She has a letter from doctor, we call ahead if its a different airline & check what they are requiring. I think the little bag will be acceptable if liquids are small enough.
You could also send to your hotel or place your staying so it is there when you get there. We ship TOBi -pulmo & refriegerated items every day all over the USA from the pharmacy,& they are fine. you could even have it sent overnight so you get as you arrive if no one would be there to receive it at destination
. The hotel will accommate you & keep refri in many cases. The best thing is to deal with each tripbyyoucall airline..... notify hotel front desk....OR take with you on plane if allowed.
HAVE A GREAT TIME......L&H..GMBEV

mackenziesmom

To be on the safe side, I'd also suggest a letter from the doctor. You may not have any trouble at all at one airport and run into problems at another. And be prepared for your child to go through a thorough search. That is what we encountered.
joan

Gammaw

Super Moderator
Just a short story here. The first time we traveled with the compressor and vest, the airline agent couldn't understand what it was and we were holding up the line. Finally a very nice young male agent a few stations over came over and asked us if it was a vest for CF and was obviously very familiar with it. He explained he used one too and smilet my pleasantly surprised 6 year old. They smiled at one another with instant commeraderie. The CF agent explained how to enter it into the system to our ticket agent and we all left feeling much more relaxed.