Alcohol and cf?

Mike Brown

Anyone with cf still occasionally indulge in a few drinks?

Was wondering if being pancreas insufficient was the same as having pancreatis? I know cf effects your pancreas because of the mucous clogging it up, but is this same same as having pancreatis? If so, I know ithat you can't have any alcohol. I haven't had a drink since being diagnosed a month ago and will continue not to if that's the best course of action, but was unsure if occasionally having a drink or two is a big issue or not.

Can anyone with experience chime in that would be much appreciated.

imported_Momto2

I used to drink ocasionally in college, but my health was excellent then, including liver function. I developed gout soon after college and one of the major triggers was........you guessed, alcohol! Havent had a drink since. I know I was warned by my doc to be very careful with alcohol and not drink much. I would assume if you have compromised liver or immune function you definitely shouldnt.

nmw0615

I've never been a huge alcohol drinker. My parents did the smart thing when I was growing up, and if I asked to taste their drink, they'd let me. I was repulsed by almost everything I sipped that when I turned 21 and could legally drink, I didn't care. I usually only have a drink on the holidays, like a martini on Christmas, a glass of champagne on New Years, that sort of thing. I also partake in the "rainbow shot" tradition my family has on people's birthday. The shot is only a third alcohol, though, so one is fine.

kemcloney3

I asked my CF doc this question and the only worry she had was getting dehydrated. She told me to drink plenty of water the next day if I had more than a few. But I'm like y'all, I've never been a big drinker. I probably drink once every couple of months and I can't remember the last time I had more than two drinks in one evening.

Printer

Pancreatic Insufficency simply means that you need enzymes in order to digest the food that you eat. Pancreatitis is a SEVERE pain that requires hospitalization. The pain is, as I've been told, is second only to childbirth.

If you are experiencing Pancreatitis, all alcohol is forbidden.

Bill

H

Hail2Pitt

My clinic is ok with me having the occasional drink, though my CF is mild. I don't know what they'd say if it was severe. Like others have said, I just need to be very careful to stay hydrated. And I tend to not drink while on IVs, because I seem to have more trouble staying hydrated when I'm taking antibiotics.

W

windex125

I found this thread by accident, clicking on blogs.. never did that before.. well this has been my worst nightmare. I know I may sound like I belong in AA but I love my wine. Red in the winter, white in the summer. Never more than 2 glasses really the truth. I was PS my whole life last year Sept. I think I'm hvg this weird belly ache and as the days pass it got worst. I usually doctor myself. But finally gave in went to the doctor and she put me in the hospital. I was diagnosed with chronic pancreasis. I was shocked, but even more when the doctor said no more wine for awhile, not never.... I turned 60 in Dec and had another attack last week of Jan.was back in the hospital for a week. I was completely honest it was my birthday, holiday time as well. I did go over the 2 glass promise but over the course of the month. So I'm dealing with it best I can. Sure it borthers me as a woman of 60 with this horrible disease how many pleasures do you think I hv left?? I wld say be careful don't over do it. Pat/60-CF

Mike Brown

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I'm still newly diagnosed and just starting enzymes this week, so I'm not going to even consider having a drink until I'm feeling like my health is more stable, but I appreciate all of the honest replies.

Bill, I understand there's a difference, but my doctor told me there's more to it than being pancreas insufficient, he said with my cf my pancreas will eventually wear out as in I'll most likely get diabetes and the other good stuff, he said that alcohol can speed this proccess up and ruin what I have left of a working pancreas. That's why I was curious.

jaimers

Super Moderator
I pretty regularly have a beer or wine with dinner or on the weekends (not usually more than 1-2) and as others have said the dehydration is really the only side effect I've noticed if anything. I am sure to drink a couple big glasses of water while I'm drinking alcohol to help offset the dehydration. I also do not usually drink while doing IVs to give my liver and kidneys a break while they are working extra hard on the antibiotics in my system.
i am pancreatic insufficient and have not noticed a difference with my pancreas when I do have a drink. I'm not consuming excessive amounts or getting drunk so it may not be enough to notice any side effects. It's probably smart to hold off until you get your enzyme regimen established and then add it back in and see how you feel.

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
To be clear, pancreatic insufficiency usually is exocrine insufficiency or EPI as doctors use the term when they wish to be clear whether they are referring to digestive enzyme production or insulin production, IPI, since endocrine pancreatic insufficiency would likely be the same acronym. Total Pancreatic Insufficiency is usually PI which is usually accompanied by diabetes. Alcohol consumption does damage that's nearly indistinguishable from the damage inflicted on the pancreas, liver and gallbladder by the ravages of CF. The metric is either rules for diabetics or drinking proportionally to the condition of the affected organs.

Alcohol causes islet cells and the liver work extra hard to metabolize and counter the effects of alcohol. The general advice that a glass of red wine or two drinks daily does depend on how healthy the liver and islet cells are. I am not opposed to alcohol in moderation but we may be working with compromised organs that should involve your doctor's advice. Growing up in Wyoming, drinking was thought of much like smoking except the decision when to start was set at 21. The adult social life was hitting two or three bars or lounges the evenings of Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights. This lasted about a year averaging about s drinks a week. I essentially stopped drinking with several exceptions each year and found a real problem in my thirties.

Business travel is difficult to be healthy and develop relationships. From the early 80's until 2000, I traveled domestically and internationally 50% of the time. I wore several hats, especially internationally where I had distributors, existing and potential customers. With the exception of service calls, everything except for breakfast was an opportunity and usually pressure to share in pitchers of beer or rice wine or Gruppa, Vodka ad infinitum. Fortunately most distributors were happy when I suggested we drop the requisite drinking and leave it individual choice.

I reached a point where the rare meals I'd drink a favorite local beer and then be very sick within minutes. It marked a point that alcohol and the state of my pancreas were at at impasse. I'm fairly certain that most CFers who have a compromised pancreas experience autodigestion to some degree. Pancreatic autodigestion is where digestive enzymes are produced but stick in the pancreas until the enzymes break down any protective mucus and partially digests the pancreas. Printer is being kind. The pain from pancreatitis, especially acute pancreatitis can exceed that child birth/kidney stone top pain comparison.

Gout and gouty arthritis pain is not trivial. Our use of enzymes predisposes us to gout and gouty arthritis. I can remember people my grandparent's age , born around 1900, tittering and snickering when gout was mentioned. It had been a disease of excess, rich foods, fine spirits and sweets. It was Puritan fodder and the conservative and pious had a field day with a condition that can be unbearably painful. And its not any character flaw that causes it. I wouldn't wish gout on my worst enemy.

It isn't the alcohol and enzymes. Mostly it's what remains of islet cells getting a workout. Diabetes has its own rules for alcohol and that is the primary concern. If a person is totally PI and the nerves aren't going nuts with pain, moderation is the rule. There's some valuable information contained in this topic post. It was just a couple months ago that gout and CF were mentioned in an article. It never occurred to me that alcohol for some CFers needs to be avoided.

Great topic,

LL

imported_Momto2

yeah, gout is no laughing matter. I've trained and competed horses with 5 broken ribs....gout is WORSE. Interestingly, I developed gout shortly after I stopped taking enzymes. (I am PI). I often wondered if there was any connection. I used to have to take TONS of enzymes.