Allergies

Every spring when everything starts to bloom, my allergies kick off. Problem is, they stick around and become an infection. I'm doing pretty well right now...so I was wondering if there was anything you had found helpful to help keep your allergies down?

Every spring when everything starts to bloom, my allergies kick off. Problem is, they stick around and become an infection. I'm doing pretty well right now...so I was wondering if there was anything you had found helpful to help keep your allergies down?

Helenlight

Hi,
I have many different allergies but no cf (my daughter has cf), but I can think of a few things that might be helpful.
One thing I have found helpful is probiotics. Another is that if I can minimise my exposure to allergens in general, any reaction I do have is lessened. It's like one allergen exposure can trigger the immune system to be on 'hyper-alert' and consecutive reactions are worse. For example: I get terrible hayfever (grass pollen allergy), but if I cut down on the grass grains in my diet (wheat, barley, rye) my whole system calms down dramatically. I also find dairy consumption to affect my condition, with cream and icecream in particular causing wheezing. I have a theory that this might be because cows eat an entirely grass and grain based diet, but have no idea if that's what it is!
Apart from those preventative measures, I guess the usual anti-histamines could be helpful for you.
Oh and one more thought- could it be possible to take a trip to a different environment for the weeks of the year that your triggers are in season? I find being by the sea very helpful.

Helenlight

Hi,
I have many different allergies but no cf (my daughter has cf), but I can think of a few things that might be helpful.
One thing I have found helpful is probiotics. Another is that if I can minimise my exposure to allergens in general, any reaction I do have is lessened. It's like one allergen exposure can trigger the immune system to be on 'hyper-alert' and consecutive reactions are worse. For example: I get terrible hayfever (grass pollen allergy), but if I cut down on the grass grains in my diet (wheat, barley, rye) my whole system calms down dramatically. I also find dairy consumption to affect my condition, with cream and icecream in particular causing wheezing. I have a theory that this might be because cows eat an entirely grass and grain based diet, but have no idea if that's what it is!
Apart from those preventative measures, I guess the usual anti-histamines could be helpful for you.
Oh and one more thought- could it be possible to take a trip to a different environment for the weeks of the year that your triggers are in season? I find being by the sea very helpful.