alternative medicine?

Sakem

While I believe NAC may have benificial uses and could be an additional treatment regimin to CF, I would disagree with Sakasuka that it has been proven to help the CF lungs. Clearly a Phase II study of 18, that really boiled down to 3 patients, that were not being treated w/ tobi and predisone, being compared to 3 placebo patients does not prove anything. While it has shown to decrease WBC and has the possiblity of increasing FEV1s, there needs to be a larger study to see if there is truly any benifits to NAC or if this will just be another theroy that never makes it past a Phase III study to an actual CF treatment.

Sakem

While I believe NAC may have benificial uses and could be an additional treatment regimin to CF, I would disagree with Sakasuka that it has been proven to help the CF lungs. Clearly a Phase II study of 18, that really boiled down to 3 patients, that were not being treated w/ tobi and predisone, being compared to 3 placebo patients does not prove anything. While it has shown to decrease WBC and has the possiblity of increasing FEV1s, there needs to be a larger study to see if there is truly any benifits to NAC or if this will just be another theroy that never makes it past a Phase III study to an actual CF treatment.

Sakem

Sakem

Sakem

Sakem

NoExcuses

You're never going to find a study that involves CF patients where patients aren't treated with antibiotics for exacerbations. Those in the clinical study who were not taking the NAC, 7/9 were treated for exacerbations. 1/9 for the NAC group were treated for exacerbations. (Results of the 1st 1/2 of the trial....not the open label)

What makes the study even more interesting is that the NAC group, the average age was over 30 years old. For the placebo group, the average age was 15. We generally associate older CFers are having worse lung function and more prone to exacerbations (not always the case, but generally it's the rule).

Take the above two points and examine the decrease in sputum & blood neutrophil count as well as Sputum Elastase Esymatic Activity (week 0 vs. week 12) in the NAC group vs. the placebo group, and we've got some really fascinating results.

<i>Of course </i>Phase III studies need to be conducted. But you will only further see these results amplified when Stanford conducts its multi-center trial in the coming months.

I for one, have seen the results in my own sputum and my own lung health, so I'm not waiting to start my therapy.

NoExcuses

You're never going to find a study that involves CF patients where patients aren't treated with antibiotics for exacerbations. Those in the clinical study who were not taking the NAC, 7/9 were treated for exacerbations. 1/9 for the NAC group were treated for exacerbations. (Results of the 1st 1/2 of the trial....not the open label)

What makes the study even more interesting is that the NAC group, the average age was over 30 years old. For the placebo group, the average age was 15. We generally associate older CFers are having worse lung function and more prone to exacerbations (not always the case, but generally it's the rule).

Take the above two points and examine the decrease in sputum & blood neutrophil count as well as Sputum Elastase Esymatic Activity (week 0 vs. week 12) in the NAC group vs. the placebo group, and we've got some really fascinating results.

<i>Of course </i>Phase III studies need to be conducted. But you will only further see these results amplified when Stanford conducts its multi-center trial in the coming months.

I for one, have seen the results in my own sputum and my own lung health, so I'm not waiting to start my therapy.

NoExcuses

NoExcuses

NoExcuses

NoExcuses