Alternative Medicine

Georgiagirl

I am 46 years old and I have veered off the "regular track" over the years, once my body began to have severe allergic reactions to regular IV antibiotics. I will share a few things that I have learned over the years that may be something for others to consider and to be cautious about in whatever treatment they decide to do.

I have used tea tree oil over the years, however, it is very, very, very potent and should be used with extreme caution. I used to steam with it, however, now I dilute it with an 8 ounce glass of water and add only 3 drops to pour on the shower stall floor before I take a shower. It was also shared with me by a doctor that was concerned with my choice of using the oils, that a patient with CF used essentials oils to fight an infection in their sinuses, which then caused considerable damage to their lungs. So again, use extreme caution and do let the doctors know what you are using!

I began using hs about 4 years ago, however, I cannot tolerate the standard hs made in the vials. It is not the hs that I have a problem with, but whatever is used to preserve it, that is what I am allergic to. My lips looked as though I had had a botox injection!! Anyhow, as an alternative, I use boiled water to mix with the neilmed sinus rinse packet in a half a cup of water (concentrated). It took awhile to find the best concentration for me, one that would be the most effective and not be too harsh to cause any bleeds. I cannot tolerate pulmozyme, after about a week of use, it causes major bleeds. I would say that the hs has been what has helped me the most to keep my pfts above 45%. And also I find it extremely beneficial to be at the coast in Florida, I find that I cough the first day I am there, clear my lungs and the rest of the time I am there, no coughing...even through the night!! There is research to show how hs even began and it was because of observing Australian surfers who had CF that had no progression of CF in their lungs! I'd say then, that hs and the sea-air are a good thing!!

I also take olive leaf extract on a regular basis to strengthen my immune system and help my body to fight against molds, fungal, viral and bacterial infections. I had taken a break from the olive leaf for a couple of months and this last culture I had showed yeast (the first time that I am aware of), so because of that, I am and will continue to take Olive leaf for the remainder of my life!

The essential oils are helpful, but as stated by others here, they are very strong and should not be used day in and day out. They can cause the same effect as regular antibiotics and create resistant bugs. Also many alternative supplements contain goldenseal and echinacea, which are okay to use to help fight a flair up or to get through a cold/flu, but should not be taken on a daily basis. Not only because of the possibility of losing effectiveness, but they can be toxic to your liver. And as mentioned by another post, be careful with humidifiers, yes, they are great to moisten the air, however, that dampness can breed fungus and/or molds. There is also debate about the use of distilled water and it has been recommended to me to boil the water regardless of it being bottled or otherwise.

Hope this gives some help to those that are considering alternative care in combination with traditional treatments. As has been said before, CF is different for each person and what may be a benefit to one is not necessarily a benefit to another. However, we can all make suggestions and learn from each others' experience to try to make the road we are traveling as smooth as possible!

travlinuf

I just happened upon this link while searching for better nutrition for my 3 yr old and found it almost amazing how things change in the CF world, in 4 years since this thread was started its routine for babies to be on HTS- my Dr, even tells us how it is believed to correct the underlying defect at the cellular level, so by all means give your baby HTS. My daughter says it burns her nose - but she hardly ever coughs and does it twice a day- every day. We are also discouraged from humidifers. I pray that in 4 more years we can have even bettter preventative meds or a cure!!!

Anomie

Ya stay away from humidifiers unless you want her to start growing mold in her lungs. If anything I'd go with a de-humidifier with air purification system but really they can pick up these bugs anywhere so whats the point.

Incomudrox

Anomie hardly.... Incense yes. However I found found essential oils to be a GOD SEND. Do some research on Frankincense for example. How it regenerates lung tissue in mice.... How it stops cancer and even ONCO docs use it as an adjudication therapy. Oh not to mention the ancient Egyptians used it to embalm the dead and they are the best preserved bodies. It stops tissue death COLD and promotes tissue regeneration and has an exact affinity to lung tissue. People bash alternative medicine but after all it got man as far as it did for thousands of years. A lot of drugs come about from research done from plants and then they remake the chemicals with side effects because well you can't patent plants. I use Frankincense oil and it works better than advair and ventolin and last for hours. I use a few other oils as well. If you are interested in the actual studies I have relating to any of these you can message me. I think using it exclusively in CF is stupid, but as disjunctive therapies it's whats kept me from lung transplant 100% no doubt.
Furthermore I understand CF as well or better than most doctors I have met. The mantelity of needing a "heafty western meidince" regime is exactly what people are made to think. HTS is junk, I have always suspected it to be that, and now I finally found something better than it that can also kill MRSA and MSSA and weaken PA by a lot but not an antibiotic and has mountains of scientific data behind it that can't be ingorned. That being inhaled glutathione but you're CF doc will never tell you about it because they can't charge a minimum of $2k for it. People take doctors word for gold and question none of it. I did for too long and was so sick for so long. I have never felt better than I am now weird...? No not really just science. The thing that doctors inheriently suck at is science.

To go some more..... HTS is NOT what lung "crave" lungs crave liquid... salt just happens to attract water this has been known for thousands of years. Can salt clean up the defective hypochlorous acid that your daughters lungs are filled with that are slowly fibrosing her lung tissue? I didn't think so. L-Glutathione can, as it is the bodies natural scavenger of hypochlorous acid. It's also semi mutolytic breaking up mucus. HTS is going to cause bronch spams eventually... glutathione won't. Gluthione is also found in every cell in the human body... HTS isn't. It's NOT bacteria in CF that hurts the lungs. Its our DEFECTIVE IMMUNE SYSTEM. It throws out tons and tons of hypochlorous acid and because in CF lungs there is none to very little glutathione to clean it up it stays there and builds up (mucus is from white blood cells in which hypochrlorous acid is transported by the body). So it stays there, causes lung bleeds, bronchial wall thickening, scarring, and hardening. Latin meaning of Fibrosis means literily to harden.

Anomie

We talked to our cf doctor about brocco max and all that stuff to try to reverse bronchiectasis and they told us that stuff is for people with more advanced lung disease who are running out of options. I'm still trying to wrap my head around that one. Yeah lets wait until the bronchiectasis is more prominent before we start trying to reverse it.

I just don't like how this lady labels HTS as western medicine "bad" when its just salt water and at the same time she's seeking advice from complete strangers on how to experiment with controlling her son's cf on her own. Its like she's trying to substitute natural healing for the treatment regimen her son needs. I want to give my kid some of these natural remedies but my girlfriend won't let me give her ANYTHING without the doctors approval and they're not really for it. Sucks!

HisAngel

I must agree with Incomudrox; My husband has CF, he will be 51 this July and diagnosed at 18months old. I firmly believe if it was not for alternative medicine/treatments he would be on the tx list or had a transplant already. Do I think his regular allopathic treatments are not important? Absolutely not! They are indeed! They play a huge role in keeping him as healthy as he can be for having CF. I believe the two compliment each other.
With each CF patient being different, they have to see what works for them. No individual is a text book, sadly many doctors think that they are. We use the Frankincense oil as well and have had very good luck with it, we also use other essential oils. When he did have an exacerbation and was in the hospital I brought the oils with me, as well as some other alternative treatments, the nurses and doctors saw me, as well as him with them. The response? After looking at him, his age and what he looked like even with an infection. Their response was? What ever your doing for him? Keep doing it, because for his age and having CF, he looks really good. Alternative treatments are not a cure-all, but neither is regular allopathic medicine.
CF is not regular kind of illness/disease. I believe until a "real" cure is found, people should keep looking, researching, reading, learning and aye, trying different things that are shown to improve the quality of life and improve the lungs. CF is not black and white, there are a LOT of Grey area's, the human body is a complex item, what works for one person may not for another, but then again without trying? One would never know and if improvement is possible? Why not go for it. I have a strong background in alternative/holistic medicine & therapies. As well I am a certified personal trainer. I would ever give my husband anything I did not fully research or thought would even come close to harming him. He as well always researches things we use, and his knowledge is vast also, having a PhD in Analytical Chemistry. We are out to improve his life as well as mine, not harm it and thus far doing what we have been doing seems to be working. These alternative medicines were out long before allopathic medicine came on board, many of the medicines used to today are a base of that natural substance, the bad side effects of many drugs out there comes not from the base substance, but instead the chemical components they have added to it, to make it a drug they can patent.

Incomudrox

Originally posted by: Anomie We talked to our cf doctor about brocco max and all that stuff to try to reverse bronchiectasis and they told us that stuff is for people with more advanced lung disease who are running out of options. I'm still trying to wrap my head around that one. Yeah lets wait until the bronchiectasis is more prominent before we start trying to reverse it. I just don't like how this lady labels HTS as western medicine "bad" when its just salt water and at the same time she's seeking advice from complete strangers on how to experiment with controlling her son's cf on her own. Its like she's trying to substitute natural healing for the treatment regimen her son needs. I want to give my kid some of these natural remedies but my girlfriend won't let me give her ANYTHING without the doctors approval and they're not really for it. Sucks!

I hear what you are saying. The doctors are REACTIVE.... not proactive. Your daughter obivously isn't able to advocate so you have to. You need to prevent everything you can in any way possible. A lot of the stuff I do I would never give to a younger child. However the lady who started L-Glutathione in CF has 3 children with CF and they have take it for quite a while and are in great health. I see no reason to wait to try to reverse it? Makes no sense. If you don't want to give her the broccomax see if you can get her to eat broccoli everyday. HTS isn't a bad therapy there are just things that are a lot better and better tolerated.

Anomie

It seems like alot of doctors scoff at this stuff too all the while taking huge kickbacks from the pharmaceutical companies. I just browsed the internet real briefly about the glutathione and it looks like there have been some studies done with it relating to CF for the reasons Incomudrox stated. So my question is do you nebulise it and how? I would be willing to try anything in addition to her treatments to help my daughter out. I already feel really bad that she got off to a poor start with her mis-diagnosis.

Incomudrox

Originally posted by: Anomie It seems like alot of doctors scoff at this stuff too all the while taking huge kickbacks from the pharmaceutical companies. I just browsed the internet real briefly about the glutathione and it looks like there have been some studies done with it relating to CF for the reasons Incomudrox stated. So my question is do you nebulise it and how? I would be willing to try anything in addition to her treatments to help my daughter out. I already feel really bad that she got off to a poor start with her mis-diagnosis.

Yep, there are a lot of kick backs... in any event. I was miss dx'd until I was 7 so I know how it is.

<a href="http://www.theranaturals.com/">http://www.theranaturals.com/</a>you want the Reduced L-Glutathione Plus DO NOT get it anywhere else. This has sodium bicarb in it which acts as a buffer and give it the ability to be inhaled. You open one cabsule into 3-5cc of sterile water or normal saline and nebbulize. This company is run by the lady I was saying has the kids with CF that use it. Using it twice a day.

Tisha

I've been "nebulizing" (breathing in three drops of essential oil in a bowl of boiling water, towel over my head) lavender oil and it makes me feel great!
Incomudrox: how do you use the Frankincense oil?
I've always combined regular "western" medicine with antibiotics, hypersaline, pulmozyme, etc but added all sorts of natural treatments. I strongly feel I'm alive and looking good thanks to all of that! We need to use all tools available, this disease is extremely complex (and every person is different) but doctors don't give any real solutions, so we must do as much as we can to stay well!