Ambry test with cord blood

ehtansky21

We are very close to having our second child and I am having trouble getting everything taken care of for getting him tested for CF as soon as possible. A question I have not been able to get answered......
I have read on the forum that they test the cord blood...my medical knowledge tells me that that contains both my blood and the babies blood. Please clarify for me. Because it doesn't seem like a good way to test the baby for CF if the cord blood also contains my blood.
Thanks,
Missa

ehtansky21

We are very close to having our second child and I am having trouble getting everything taken care of for getting him tested for CF as soon as possible. A question I have not been able to get answered......
I have read on the forum that they test the cord blood...my medical knowledge tells me that that contains both my blood and the babies blood. Please clarify for me. Because it doesn't seem like a good way to test the baby for CF if the cord blood also contains my blood.
Thanks,
Missa

ehtansky21

Thanks,
Missa

ehtansky21

Thanks,
Missa

ehtansky21

Thanks,
Missa

S

sdelorenzo

Two of my friends who already had children with cf had their next children's cord blood tested to see if they had cf. Both times it was difficult to tell what was the mom's blood and baby's blood, so they had to later do a sweat test. Both of my children had high positive sweat tests when they were a few weeks old, so that is possible to get a good read as newborns. If it were me, I would wait until the drs say it is okay to get some blood from the baby to send off to see if they have the same mutations. Oh and congratulations on the second sweet baby you are welcoming into your family soon.
Sharon, mom of Sophia, 6 and Jack, 4 both with cf

S

sdelorenzo

Two of my friends who already had children with cf had their next children's cord blood tested to see if they had cf. Both times it was difficult to tell what was the mom's blood and baby's blood, so they had to later do a sweat test. Both of my children had high positive sweat tests when they were a few weeks old, so that is possible to get a good read as newborns. If it were me, I would wait until the drs say it is okay to get some blood from the baby to send off to see if they have the same mutations. Oh and congratulations on the second sweet baby you are welcoming into your family soon.

S

sdelorenzo

S

sdelorenzo

S

sdelorenzo

U

usedtobeinca

Congrats on your soon-to-be new addition!

Our son was tested and DX using cord blood w/in 3 days of birth. I have limited medical knowledge but it was considered one of the better ways to make a definitive DX by our CF team and was carefully planned for prior to our son's birth. We already had pretty good indicators including blood tests showing that my wife and I are trait carriers and an ultrasound showing echogenic bowel. Your concern makes sense though. I believe the cord contains different pathways for fluids going to/from the fetus. That might explain why it's seen as a useful DX tool even though it technically contains blood from both mother and child. Good question - I wonder if anyone else can shed some light on it.

U

usedtobeinca

Our son was tested and DX using cord blood w/in 3 days of birth. I have limited medical knowledge but it was considered one of the better ways to make a definitive DX by our CF team and was carefully planned for prior to our son's birth. We already had pretty good indicators including blood tests showing that my wife and I are trait carriers and an ultrasound showing echogenic bowel. Your concern makes sense though. I believe the cord contains different pathways for fluids going to/from the fetus. That might explain why it's seen as a useful DX tool even though it technically contains blood from both mother and child. Good question - I wonder if anyone else can shed some light on it.

U

usedtobeinca

U

usedtobeinca

U

usedtobeinca

S

sdelorenzo

I forgot to mention that both of the children who were tested ended up just being carriers. I am sure that it what led to the need for more testing. They just to make sure it wasn't the carrier status of the mom they actually tested.
Sharon

S

sdelorenzo

I forgot to mention that both of the children who were tested ended up just being carriers. I am sure that it what led to the need for more testing. They just to make sure it wasn't the carrier status of the mom they actually tested.
Sharon

S

sdelorenzo

Sharon

S

sdelorenzo

Sharon

S

sdelorenzo

Sharon