Anti-IgE Test

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS' doctor retired and we're now attending a new CF Clinic and a few new labs were ordered. Got most of them figured out --- an additional liver test, the usual vitamin levels, glucose, immunoglobulin... However, on test that I couldn't find any info on, was
Anti-IgE
, which was shown just as "elevated", no numbers. Of course looking on the internet managed to scare the heck out of me....

We see the CF doctor later in the month. Meanwhile, what is
Anti-IgE
testing for?

kenna2

I've had this tested a couple of times. From my understanding, basically this is a test to see how well your body's immune system works and is able to fight off infection. They look at your white blood cell count. Some people with CF have auto immune issues or are at risk of developing them.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Turns out they were supposed to run a regular IGE test or panel and not the Anti-IGE test. So next time he has bloodwork, it's on order.

Runnergirl227

IgE levels are used to detect Allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis (ABPA). A rise in IgE is an early indicator of aspergillosis.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
The doctor said she ordered an IgE test and didn't know what or why the lab did an Anti-IgE test.