Antibiotics and birth control

Jriet

Hi All,

I know antibiotics can interfere with birth control and make it less effective and even fail. But I am just wondering which antibiotics exactly do this and to what extent? Is it inhaled such as Tobi (taken every other month) or the pill antibiotics such as azithromycin ( I take 3 times a week)? I always want to be safe in preventing pregnancy but this worries me. Thanks for your feed back!

W

welshwitch

I'd talk to your doc. In my experience CF related antibiotics do not affect birth control and its effectiveness. But run it by your doc first.

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
The best science says antibiotics don't interfere with oral birth control excepting rifampin type antibiotics. That's one source. There seems to be a weirdism where the gut reabsorbs some estrodiol altering serum concentration but again only proven with rifampin drugs.

The best advice would be to read the information sheet that comes with antibiotic prescriptions. Ask for one if your pharmacy doesn't automatically give one to you. If a baby is a no, consider augmenting birth control with spermicidal foam or sponge during the risky days.

LL