Antibiotics and Probiotics

tara

I'm finding the zithromax maintenance dose of 500mg three times a week is giving me recurring vaginal yeast infections, about every 6 to 12 weeks. Does anyone take the supplement, acidophilus everyday? And if so, how much do you take? How many times a day do you take it?

When I'm on IV antibiotics I take Clotrimizole lozenges proactively throughout the whole IV course and I never get the vaginal yeast or thrush in my mouth. It works wonderfully! But my CF doctor does not want me on the lozenges 365 days a year. So what to do when I'm not on IVs or any other abx other than zithro?

I'm not interested in the yogurt solution, I won't eat it regularly, I've tried. I'm not a fan. So I'm wondering, what's another pill? (the acidophilus) But how much does it take to ward off these recurring infections?

tara

I'm finding the zithromax maintenance dose of 500mg three times a week is giving me recurring vaginal yeast infections, about every 6 to 12 weeks. Does anyone take the supplement, acidophilus everyday? And if so, how much do you take? How many times a day do you take it?

When I'm on IV antibiotics I take Clotrimizole lozenges proactively throughout the whole IV course and I never get the vaginal yeast or thrush in my mouth. It works wonderfully! But my CF doctor does not want me on the lozenges 365 days a year. So what to do when I'm not on IVs or any other abx other than zithro?

I'm not interested in the yogurt solution, I won't eat it regularly, I've tried. I'm not a fan. So I'm wondering, what's another pill? (the acidophilus) But how much does it take to ward off these recurring infections?

tara

tara

tara

<br />
<br />When I'm on IV antibiotics I take Clotrimizole lozenges proactively throughout the whole IV course and I never get the vaginal yeast or thrush in my mouth. It works wonderfully! But my CF doctor does not want me on the lozenges 365 days a year. So what to do when I'm not on IVs or any other abx other than zithro?
<br />
<br />I'm not interested in the yogurt solution, I won't eat it regularly, I've tried. I'm not a fan. So I'm wondering, what's another pill? (the acidophilus) But how much does it take to ward off these recurring infections?

Emily65Roses

The acidophilus does a pretty good job. It doesn't work for me anymore with constant abx (every day ones). But when I was on the maintenance Zithro (for about 3 years?), I took two acidophilus every day (one with morning meds and one at night) and it kept me mostly yeast-free. I don't do yogurt either, it grosses me out. Haha.

Emily65Roses

The acidophilus does a pretty good job. It doesn't work for me anymore with constant abx (every day ones). But when I was on the maintenance Zithro (for about 3 years?), I took two acidophilus every day (one with morning meds and one at night) and it kept me mostly yeast-free. I don't do yogurt either, it grosses me out. Haha.

Emily65Roses

Emily65Roses

Emily65Roses

Melissa75

Administrator
I have been drinking Kombucha Tea--it is a yeast and probiotic mix. I know the word yeast sounds like what you are trying to avoid, but it has kept me yeast free where it counts, and I gained five pounds since starting it (less diarrhea).
I buy the Synergy brand from Whole Foods and drink 1/2 bottle a day because it ain't cheap.

Melissa75

Administrator
I have been drinking Kombucha Tea--it is a yeast and probiotic mix. I know the word yeast sounds like what you are trying to avoid, but it has kept me yeast free where it counts, and I gained five pounds since starting it (less diarrhea).
I buy the Synergy brand from Whole Foods and drink 1/2 bottle a day because it ain't cheap.

Melissa75

Administrator

Melissa75

Administrator

Melissa75

Administrator
<br />I buy the Synergy brand from Whole Foods and drink 1/2 bottle a day because it ain't cheap.

Juliet

I take 2 pills a day, one with AM and one PM meds. I've pretty much been on oral ABX (it was 3 different ABX but is now down to only 1) for about 20 straight months now. I rotate brands depending on what the local Rite Aid carries and occasionally depending on if one goes on sale. They have a count listed on the bottle with shows the variety and the # of millions count. Some of the ones I've tried have had more than just the acidophillus (I don't recall the other varieties). I haven't noticed a big difference between brands, but if I do run out and skip them for 3 or more days I'll get a yeast infection. Then I'll double up on them for 3-4 days to get the bod back on track. ~Juliet

Juliet

I take 2 pills a day, one with AM and one PM meds. I've pretty much been on oral ABX (it was 3 different ABX but is now down to only 1) for about 20 straight months now. I rotate brands depending on what the local Rite Aid carries and occasionally depending on if one goes on sale. They have a count listed on the bottle with shows the variety and the # of millions count. Some of the ones I've tried have had more than just the acidophillus (I don't recall the other varieties). I haven't noticed a big difference between brands, but if I do run out and skip them for 3 or more days I'll get a yeast infection. Then I'll double up on them for 3-4 days to get the bod back on track. ~Juliet

Juliet

Juliet

Juliet