any ideas on how long airway clearance systems last ?

jethro

hi,

if anyone has information about hours or years these systems last i would appreciate it

i'm considering purchase of a used system, probably hill-rom
because my insurance won't cover it adequately with high monthly rentals

knowing how long they last would help with purchase decision

thanks

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS' first brand new vest lasted about 3-4 years. Since it was new and had a lifetime warranty, Hill Rom replaced it. I suspect the replacements are refurbished. Nowdays they seem to last about 2 years. The last one they replaced was this past summer and it's started to make noise, but hasn't thrown a code yet. I'd be cautious about buying a used one because I don't believe the warranty is valid.

Have you tried working with your clinic and insurance? When we first applied for the vest Hill Rom warned us that it would be denied initially and our insurance then required us to come up with 20% of any durable medical purchases. We went thru an appeal process, were able to trial the vest and received calls the first year asking for # of hours used --- checking for compliance. And after a year we were told it was covered. Hill Rom does have financing. In our case I think we had to come up with $500 when it was all said and done, when I was putting money away for $3000. A friend of mine's insurance covered a portion one year and the remainder the following year. Think there was a lease period. IMO, ask your clinic to write up a script and start the process.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
So my teen's vest stopped working tonight, wouldn't inflate properly. Pulled out the manual to call for a replacement and it said the machine should last about two years.

jethro

is this regarding a hill rom 105?

2 years is not a long time !

So my teen's vest stopped working tonight, wouldn't inflate properly. Pulled out the manual to call for a replacement and it said the machine should last about two years.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, it's a hill rom 105. Brand new vests from hill rom have a lifetime warranty, ds has had a vest for about 12 years. And I think they've replaced it 4 times for sure, soon to 5.

dmckulster

Hi Guys,

Have you ever tried using the PEP devices? What do you think of them? Do they work and what one should I get?

Thanks

kosdancer

Woah. Maybe I've been lucky, but my original vest just turned 18 and is still kicking. I don't use it much - it's at my parents' - but I've never had any issues. It was used heavily for 11 years. My current vest is about 7 and a half and is fine (SmartVest) as well.