ANy parents with feeding tips and tricks?

L

lrs2015

Our dietitian recomended getting some avacados into our lil ones diet. It has all that good fat, high calorie, and vitamin and minerals that could be so benifical to her diet and well being. So I gave it to her and she gulfed down half of it. I also let it ripen a lil more. Since then she wants nothing to do with it. Loved it and now hates it. I don't get it. Lol. I've tried mixing it with other things. Has anyone gone through this and any recipes for what there lil ones liked?

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
I'm not a parent but I'll tell you she ate so much of it she got tired of it. Happened to me all the time. Unless you mean she ate it once? That's weird. She had a weird liking for it that day!

Does she like peanut butter? It's full of calories! You don't have to do the usual PB&J. Maybe just a slice of bread with PB spread on it. You can also spread on crackers or dip pretzels, apples or celery in it. Also, a peanut butter chocolate shake! Lots of Nuts are high in Calories to.

Gammaw

Super Moderator
Is this a weight issue for her? Or is she low on certain vitamins? Is your dietician concerned about increasing fat content or just weight. How old is your little one? I'm thinking a little more info on your circumstances and goals might help get some tips for you.....
Blessings

fourdeans

We've had better luck getting whole foods in by using shakes and smoothies. Avacados pair nicely with chocolate so a snack smoothie of almond milk, PB powder, cocoa powder, avacadp and honey is a great protein boost with healthy fats. My son is texture and color sensitive so for fruit smoothies made with kefir, Greek yogurt, kale I use red/purple berry juice to cover the color. You can put A LOT of leafy greens and good fats in and still
Mask the color/taste with beet juice or grape juice.

lovemyboy507

My little monkey is the same and will only eat them when they are a certain ripeness not too soft and not too hard if I get it right he eats a whole one if not it goes in then comes straight back out!

ethan508

Raw avacados leave my mouth feeling itchy (slight allergy) and the texture of over or under ripe ones is unpaletable to me. I wouldn't totally worry about a rejection of 1 single food. Find other good fat foods. Variety of good foods seems better than just a single 'super food'.

How old Is your little One?? I am working on a cf cookbook and I would be happy to share . Besides the avocado , what have you tried???? My little girl is 2 1/2 and the trick with her is persistence. how is your little
One doing??

L

lrs2015

My lil one is one. She still won't eat avacados. Just obe time and that's it. What is this pb powder? I'm afraid she's gonna loose weight and I just don't know what to do. Shes refusing food. Pushes bottle, spoons away and is doing the typical one year old thing. I just don't know what to do I'm at my wits end.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS liked avocados briefly and 11 years laters, he still dislikes them. He pretty much survived on Mac and cheese, carnation instant breakfast made with whole milk and cream, Greek yogurt, spagettios. He did discover cut up hamburger, no bun. And ham patties PB powder is peanut butter powder. I've seen it at Walmart, target and Costco. Never used it.. Just find something she likes and shovel it in. I also still fed him some of the baby foods he liked, doctored with olive oil and butter.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
My lil one is one. She still won't eat avacados. Just obe time and that's it. What is this pb powder? I'm afraid she's gonna loose weight and I just don't know what to do. Shes refusing food. Pushes bottle, spoons away and is doing the typical one year old thing. I just don't know what to do I'm at my wits end.

Dear Mom,

I strongly strongly recommend you get ASAP Ellyn Satter's book "Child of Mine." From your posts, I think you might be so worried about the food that it is causing her to start to refuse to eat from the pressure. I did that to DS because I was soooo scared he's wouldn't gain weight. An OT (occupational therapist) at the Children's Hospital where our CF Center is and referred us, recommended the book and it was an eye opener. DS was born very little 12ish? I think weight and slowly made it to 20-30% but the pressure for him to be 50% caused me to pressure him to eat and then he went back into the teens and they started talking feeding tubes. I read the book changed my approach and he slowly climbed. He's now at 90%+ BMI after I learned that whether he eats and how much he eats is his responsibility. Mine is what, when and where he eats. So I just give him lots of structured opportunities with lots of high fat options and lots of pleasant pressure-free meals.
If you do get the book and want to brainstorm after, let me know. Hugs mom. I know. I really really know what your facing!

L

lrs2015

Do you have a g tube and what is it exactly? Is it the feeding tube down your throat or a sugerical mark into your lower intestine. Do you have to have it? I'm sorry if I'm being to forward I'm a parent of a lil girl with cf. Shes only one. But isn't eating very well and this was one of the things brought up in a disscussion with our clinic. They were trying to tell me it a good thing but it sounds bad.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Do you have a g tube and what is it exactly? Is it the feeding tube down your throat or a sugerical mark into your lower intestine. Do you have to have it? I'm sorry if I'm being to forward I'm a parent of a lil girl with cf. Shes only one. But isn't eating very well and this was one of the things brought up in a disscussion with our clinic. They were trying to tell me it a good thing but it sounds bad.

I think you mean this for me, if not sorry for intercepting: No. Our son is 6 and has CF but at about 1 we faced the EXACT same issues and it was due to us pressuring him to eat. I changed course in time and he gained weight and is now over 90% BMI without a g-tube or a feeding tube. Before agreeing to either, I strongly recommend you read the book and try the approach for a month at least, FULLY. What you are doing now isn't working, so trying to back off and let her eat on her own can't make things worse. It took 3 days of almost no food and then our son started up full force. You might be able to get it off Kindle so you can read now.

L

lrs2015

Dear aboveallislove
Thank you for the suggestion. I know a lot of parents hsve faced the same isdue here. I think another part if it with my lil one is shes teething. I'm gonna look into this book!

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
It's a tough age -- trying to reason with a toddler who doesn't have health issues can be a struggle in itself. Gets a little easier when they're older you can take them shopping, especially if there are samples, and they can indicate their likes. I once took DS to the grocery store when they had a holiday showcase of samples and discovered he loved aged cheeses and shrimp (or shrimp legs as he called them). He also was a snacker, so between the carnation instant breakfast and snacks, we did okay.

Pc1975

Not sure if someone has suggested this already but my son is 16 months old and although a good eater is not particularly fond of avocados so we got some advocado oil it comes in bottles just like olive oil and a little added to food they are eating he doesn't eve