Anybody master quieting your cough?

erock77

I'm surprised I haven't really seen this come up. Sometimes my cough is frequent and very loud. I'd love to have a solution to muffle the sound significantly. I looked for a device last year, they sell cough mufflers for hunters. I bought one and it's a joke. Just a block with dense foam, but it so dense I can't cough into it. Like sealing your lips on a bottle and coughing, it just flies out. Maybe it works for infant coughs, but not CF ones. Particularly at the gym, meetings, restaurants, movie theaters, etc, this would be handy. I try coughing into a bunched up jacket or my hands. Just wondering if others have a good tip for this so we draw less attention.

S

stephen

KALYDECO! It completely stopped my cough!

For most Cfers (at least for now) Menthol Cough Drops - CVS or Halls - may prove to be a more available remedy. For years before Kalydeco, I “lived” on them. They were extremely effective.

I attend the Metropolitan Opera quite often. Coughing during much of an opera would be very uncomfortable. During every opera, I kept a menthol cough drop in my mouth for the entire performance. I kept a supply of partially unwrapped cough drops in a shirt pocket. As one was close to being finished, I was able to replace it with another, with minimal noise. This let me control my need to cough until an appropriate time presented itself. At times it meant holding off coughing for in excess of half an hour.

Thankfully, I now have several hundred menthol cough drops that will probably never get used; or maybe they will be. The Menthol Cough Drops were also quite effective in temporarily relieving nasal congestion, which Kalydeco has had no effect on. So maybe the cough drops will get used.

erock77

Yeah I'd love some Kalydeco, of course it won't work for me yet. Waiting for progress on meds is getting a little frustrating when it all seems so close. I've been trying to get on the Aerovanc study at my CF center for over a year.

Anyway, good idea on the cough drops. I've used them for plane rides and other stuff sometimes, I think it helps at least a little. I forget about them. In general we're not supposed to use them, since coughing is good for us, but in certain public situations I'll try and use them.

W

welshwitch

The way I "quiet" my cough is to beat it out of myself so that it's not there! My cough is worse in the morning. So I go on a run the night before. WHen I wake up, I do a pulmozyme treatment before work! I've noticed a remarkable difference. Run night before + morning pulmo = way reduced cough.

Twistofchaos

Good topic and yes, the older I get the more self-conscious I become of my cough strangely. (Because I get more self confident overall.)

At home I mostly cough in a balled up tshirt. It dampens well without giving too much resistance to the air/cough.

Out of the house in winter I cough in my sleeve. In summer and no sleeves to cough in I cough through a hankerchief if I can grab it in time. Though sometimes I feel that a strange muffled cough attracts more attention than to just cough out loud like everyone does. It depends on the setting.

erock77

I know it's been a while, but thanks for the responses. I tried cough drops, Fisherman's Friend was a pretty potent one. I feel it open my airway up a little, but it doesn't really stop the coughing which comes from mucus moving around. Welshwitch, unfortunately the mucus is produced pretty quickly many days, so I never really seem to get rid of it.

I generally use Twists idea, which isn't incredibly effective. If I have a jacket on me I'll ball it up and cough in that, which seems to help some. I guess it's just something we deal with.

W

windex125

I as well suffer VERYYYYYYYYYYYY badly from this in the morning its dry hacking 1-4 hrs. do my morning treatment then abt 4hrs. later when the pulzoyme kicks in the flow starts and I carry around wax Dixie cups with me everywhere if I am out I bend down into my pocket book to spit, sounds terrible but I have had to swallow this gook a few times when at the theater or the opera as I love both and refuse to not go enjoy the things I love but as mentioned before 2 glasses of red wine works wonders, and at my age I just say if I am going out I will use what ever necessary to have a good time and silence this hacking. I truly wish with everything else I/we deal with there wld be something that wld suppress the cough esp. the dry hacking that is the worse. Pat/59

MGrossan

Normally cilia move bacteria and phlegm out of the chest; when cilia fail, then cough takes over. To get the cilia moving
Try humming. Best is low tone like "ooommmm'
Lemon and lime help as does green tea.
Hope this helps.

R

Red9928

I have found that chewing gum has helped me the most, particularly when I have a dry hacking cough. Helps quiet it pretty well for those times when I really don't want to let loose.