Anyone allergic to Levaquin still able to take Cipro?

CysticKid

Last time I took Levaquin I had an allergic reaction that took me to the ER. I am having a slight exacerbation now and my doctor prescribed Cipro for me. I asked about my reaction to Levaquin and she said they are decidedly two different molecules, even though in the same family. It worries me anyway.

So I am looking for feedback. Has anyone had experience with an allergy to Levaquin but still take Cipro without any issues?

Thanks!

nmw0615

I have taken Cipro for many years, but had to stop Levaquin after the first dose. My joints swelled and hurt like hell (please pardon my language, but it's the only phrase that describes it). Never taken levaquin again, but I've still taken and handled cipro just fine.

jaimers

Super Moderator
i have terrible joint pain in most of my joints along with horrible nightmares from Levaquin and now refuse to take it. Never had any issues with Cipro at all.

W

windex125

This happened to me as well I was covered in hives, yet I had used it many times before. We stopped and yes I am able to use Cipro with no problem.

nanny

I too ended up in the ER with Levaquin, but was able to take Cipro without problem for several years. A few months ago I had to stop Cipro because of a rash reaction, but it took lots of doses before any problem. I was warned by my pharmacist that they are in the same family, but my reaction was very different. Good luck.

C

CFinCalifornia

Yep - I can take Cipro, but no Levaquin. My doctor is leery of it, but it seems to be fine.

CysticKid

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I started my Cipro a week ago and have had no problems at all. Best of all I am feeling much better and was able to skip the IV's.

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
Caution is always prudent when antibiotics and allergies are involved. Today's antibiotics are cataloged by families or types and by families of pathogens and mechanism for killing. Ciprofloxacin and Levofloxacin have a common molecular base called quinolones.

The risk of reacting to another quinolone is high enough to merit a warning by drug manufacturers. In fact Cipro comes from tetracycline varients and when Cipro was new, sensitivity to tetracycline drugs were in the warning. The "it's a completely different molecule" is not an assurance of anything although it's simpler than saying that most patients don't have allergic reactions to similar antibiotics.

A lot depends on how serious the reaction to Levaquin or such was. I reacted to my Shingles vaccination a few years ago. Within 3 minutes my voice went hoarse and I into full blown anaphylaxis, reversed with a pair of EpiPens. Normally flu shots are prepared the same way shingles vaccine is. I no longer get flu shots at a pharmacy.

If you are cautious, carry an EpiPen while taking antibiotics, trying a similar antibiotic may not be a choice. You know what the early signs of allergic reaction and without looking for trouble, be observant. It's a crap shoot that mostly works. If/when you become allergic to a drug, your options are limited. As pathogens develop resistance to antibiotics and we develop allergies to antibiotics only recycling older antibiotics or developing new antibiotics keeps the fight against infections.

LL

Ayn

I can take Cipro but not Levaquin. Verrry allergic to Levaquin, but Cipro has been a life-saver :)