Anyone get a copy of their PFTs at clinic visits?

AttyMom

I'm an adult patient at Boston Children's. I get a copy every time. I love being able to compare my numbers -- the printout includes historical numbers going back several years and a graph showing the trends. I also have online access to all my lab work and cultures too.
Definitely talk to your clinic about a change in policy.

D

Dhobs

I've always been given a copy of my daughter's PFTs every time. I used to just recycle them, but I started a medical records notebook after her first hospitalization and I keep them now.

rickiesdad

We have experience at both the U of M(ichigan), and Children's Healthcare of Atlanta/Emory. We receive copies of anything we request, and are generally offered my son's PFT's and other documents without asking. We have a record going back years now. I find it unconscionable that Riley isn't providing them to you. There is certainly no legislative or insurance barrier - it is simply an arbitrary hospital rule. Perhaps they haven't heard about the whole "customer service" trend that has affected just about every other hospital in th4 country. My recommendation is to contact the Chief Hospital Administrator at Riley. You have a right to know why they insist on withholding information from you. My God, it's 2014...

Gammaw

Super Moderator
I really appreciate all the responses. It tempts me to ask if anyone has been REFUSED a copy of their PFTs at the time of testing or their clinic visit, since so far no one else appears to currently be experiencing the same difficulty that I am.

To those who have asked, I have spoken to docs, respiratory therapists, nurses, clinic managers and the former Administrators office. The former Administrator agreed with me and then the office manager informed me that I would receive copies from now on. However I didn't. As I kept pressing the issue, I discovered that a new Administrator had taken over and the policy of withholding the printouts was reaffirmed. That's where I am now. . . No disclosure.

This thread has been frankly my attempt to determine if I was fighting the tide. Obviously Im not.

Anyone else being refused info?

Tisha

Of course you have the right to get a copy of your records!
My Mallorca doctor always gave me a printout, my Madrid doctors some times did, and my Swedish doctors don´t print them out but I have full access to see and make notes of the computer screen - and can of course get a printout.
Claim your rights! Doctors are not almighty nor necessarily any more intelligent than any patient.

All of my PFTs (with numbers, charts, and graphs) have always been given to me or my parents (back in the day). Something is wrong here! Wage a campaign!! Knowledge is power!

M

morgo

I don't see how having years worth of spirometric data is going to help you to help your child manage their CF better or make more informed decisions about treatment options. Even if you were qualified to interpret the data. Moreover, the important readings from the spirometry you have access to through your doctor FVC, FEV. Pouring over graphs and curves of flow vs volume and volume vs time and all the finer details like the FEF80-90 is not going to change anything except your stress levels which is very detrimental to your whole family. Be smart, not excessive.

Make a table, include a spot for the important values created from the data acquisition software: FEV1, FVC, maybe FEF25-75(probably not necessary though), include the following: environmental factors: temperature high-low, humidity, allergen index, etc; internal factors:recent illness, inhalation therapies administered that day and when, perhaps things eaten that morning of the pft, physiotherapy done that day, etc; leave a section for miscellaneous notes as well. Doing this myself, I've discovered that milk makes me more mucousy, black coffee and green tea help to open up my airways. Humidity is one of the single biggest day to day factors in my lung function. Knowing these things has helped me to manage my condition better by giving me predictive power, if its a humid day I make sure to take my puffer with me when i leave. In contrast, knowing the peak value of the flow vs volume graph does not help me in anyway, in fact it becomes detrimental. Stress is a real killer and when my parents aren't stressed I tend to be more at ease. We are products of our environment and you are the foundation for your child, don't let things like this prevent you from providing stability and comfort.

If this is about control and power and freedom.... let it go and truly be free and powerful. But be smart and keep track of the important details in an organized and elegant fashion and you will be able to make the appropriate treatment decisions in the future. Privacy laws and hospital policy can be excessive but be glad your doctor is following them and not being a reckless lone wolf.

azdesertrat

We always get a copy of results from virtually all tests performed, including PFT's. All we do is ask.
If I don't Becky will be sure to.
That's just wrong if your doc refuses to give you hard copies of test results.
I would politely, but firmly, remind the doctor that the subject of the testing is your child, you have every right to know the outcome of every test performed on him/her.
If that doesn't work, go over the doc's head.
Find the doc's boss & let them know you want hard copies.
I'm sure if you press the issue, you'll get what you want.
When it gets right down to it, you are the customer, the docs' are the provider.
You pay your co-pays & that being the case, you deserve to see what you're buying.
Hope this helps, our best to you all, 'Pat'.

MichaelL

I keep a spreadsheet that includes FEV1, FEV1 % and FVC. I find it helpful to look at the trends, where my high and low values are. They would give me a copy if I wanted, but I wouldn't use any of the other information. My clinic actually keeps a hand-written list in my chart that tracks these key pieces of data for the same reason.

D

DrRoe

You have a legal right to review your (dependent) child's health records.. and as his advocate, to do your job, you need to be informed of his health status. I have years of printouts for my son. We are/were given copies of test results including PFTs at each visit (from three separate clinics). Its a good thing your clinic wasn't dealing with me as I would have given them the option of giving me copies OR responding to a formal complaint I would immediately file with DHHS. Frankly their lack of openness would concern me greatly. For more info you might want to read - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1291341/

Gammaw

Super Moderator
That's right . . . I haven't been outright refused the basic data in written form as long as I want to wait a couple of months and pay for them. It definitely discourages it. It just really seems rather silly since the doc shows me the sheet when I'm there and discusses some of the results with me. I understand HIPPA prohibits disclosure of identifying information in written form, but heck I'm sitting there already, I'm known to them as the parent, and . . . . They're discussing it with me! So if need be, take a sharpie and draw a line through the identifying information if we want to be silly about it. Lets face it, sometimes corporate types (as well as the rest of us) do things they think they have to do even when they make no sense.
I agree that if this were a control issue, I.e. I want it so you should give it to me even if I just threw it in the trash kind of attitude then I would - or should - ignore this. Pressing the issue just because you can is a pretty typical adolescent attitude and effort wasting endeavor. I don't mean to offend adolescents - I'm just recognizing the personal evolution to discriminate fights worth fighting.
But that simply not it. My problem has always been what I perceive as my only partial ability to appreciate what they're saying and its significance in the middle of a session when so many topics are discussed and my little guy is already climbing the walls from boredom as I try to control him. In addition, I don't feel as though I've had the significance of each measurement (or it's INsignificance as it may be) explained to me in sufficient terms for me to fully understand. it's as though I wish somebody had given me a decent handbook on PFTs at some point so I could self-educate instead of figuring everything out as I go along on th CF journey, piece by piece. Not that they wouldnt explain each measurement as I ask, but I dont absorb it all as i sit there. There are times some of the values have been mentioned as significant for that visit or for some particular purpose at that time, when they haven't been mentioned before. So, in my efforts to be thorough and comprehend as much as possible, I would love to have the printout, so I could study it a bit and familiarize myself with the various measurements, what they mean, and how theyve change over time....and what that would mean too. And that way I can formulate further questions in reflection. How many of us walk out of a docs office wishing they asked another question that didn't occur at the time?
The significance of these measurements is obvious from all the replies here - and especially the way SO MANY people are plotting their values on spreadsheets. And the personal significance has become obvious to me in many ways, including finding out that there was a pattern to my little guys ups and downs that appeared to be related to the season since we moved into a wetter, more moldy allergen filled climate. I don't feel comfortable that we know - or the doc can know - all the factors affecting my sons individual ups and downs. And I can't know what to report to the doc, or to look for, or consider, without the data sitting in front of me. Over a period of time. I do not pretend to know the significance of everything the way the pulmonologist or CF Team does. But I consider myself a very significant partner in this detective work and my knowledge and insight is being under utilized by not partnering with me in a more effective way.
Ok. I'll step down from my soapbox. The information everyone has provided has shown me that my CF Center may well be one of the FEW that doesn't provide the informational report to the parent or patients, and that my concern appears well founded.
I can see another round coming at the next clinic visit. I am more convinced that the failure to provide this information may be compromising or at least hampering the care my DS receives. Unacceptable.

Angelo

unless the law has changed, by law you are the owner of your medical records. I have always asked for a copy and they just print another copy and hand it to me. As much as I don't like Vandy, they always gave me a copy. Now I go to a doctor at the Cleveland Clinic in South Florida, and do the same. They have not problem giving me whatever I ask. Again, unless the law has changed in recent years, by law they cannot refuse to give you your medical records. You may have to threaten them.

JustaCFmom

Keeping track of the pft results

I always get a copy from the technician. I am legally entitled to the information and the clinic obliges me. (I live in Israel) I think you mentioned a real solution, which is to just take a picture!

I have charted my son's PFT almost since the day he was diagnosed. This video got me into it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7psgQoMXzv0

I have an excel file and an ongoing chart that plots my son's weight and FEV1. It is remarkable to see the correlation. I share it with him and he gets a visual idea of how he is doing. There were a few months where I was only doing inhalation once a day and his functions were falling. The minute I got back to 2x/day his functions bounced back up. Months where he was more active he saw his functions improve also. I think it is an educational tool. A graph means more than a bunch of numbers. You know what they say? A picture is worth a 1000 words.

If you want to understand the test and its significance, then you tube has loads of videos about it. There might even be one on Khan Academy. Try pft or pulmonary function tests and see what you get.

Good luck!

Jet

The technician always prints 2 copies, one for me and one for the doctor. I go over them with the doctor during the visit.