Anyone going to school part time?

My son (14 yrs, 8th grade middle school) is getting to the point where he just can't make it through the school day. We go to public school and they are good about working with us to modify assignments, etc, but it's just not enough. Joe isn't sick enough to be put into the hospital, but he's not well enough to be at his top baseline levels where he can get through the day either.

I'm thinking of asking to modify his schedule to go in late and miss the first 2 hours daily and either make them up through online options or working on our own or just not doing them. Currently my son tries to make it to school, but often calls after 2 or 3 hours needing to come home and do treatments, rest, etc before going back in the afternoon. We end up with him missing parts of ALL the classes as he comes/leaves at different parts of the day. Last year he ended up with "K" letter grades (Pass or Credit) instead of letter grades for most of his classes. I'm not at the point where we can home school and I'd like him to keep up with the social aspect of school as he really does get a lot out of it when he's there.

We have a 504 Plan in place that can be modified. I'm just curious if anyone has suggestions or options that have worked for them as their kids get older. Middle school/elementary grades don't seem too important as nothing goes forward. We have a tutor (my aunt) that helps with math and he does a lot of reading on his own too. Does anyone do a half-day or partial day in school and what do you do about the other hours? Online school? Home School? or just know you're not going to get them done and get pass credits for those hours?

I meant to add that while middle school and elementary grades haven't bothered us in the past, in order for my son to go to college and have any kind of a career, he WILL need to pass his classes in high school with actual GRADES not just pass/fails. Thanks!

K

katethekid

Throughout parts of tenth, eleventh, and twelfth, grades I was considered hospital/home-bound. Meaning whenever I needed a break from physically going to school or was in the hospital, I could have a home bound teacher come to my house. My biggest problem was, and still is, chronic pancreatitis. I underwent 6 pancreatic stents, a Whipple, and a Puestow during high school. So sometimes I wasn't even in the state. I was kicked out in eleventh grade for being out of state having surgery and recovering for over six weeks. Apparently you have to have a visit from your home bound teacher every 6 weeks or so and since I wasn't in state (Florida) it was obvious I hadn't seen her. I was still completing my work with help by my teachers cutting things back a bit. Sometimes I only took tests. It was rough but with extra adult Ed classes I graduated on time. I hope you can find a suitable protocol for your son. I was able to go to school on occasion, but I missed a lot and was angry about it (like most teenagers) for years. If you have any questions feel free to ask!

kosdancer

I did a modified schedule for 10th-12th grade. I didn't take a first period class and then made up two to three semesters worth of work each summer with online classes. It was a great decision for me and I would highly recommend it. Cutting two classes would have led to a delayed graduation for my school but it depends on your high school. In Georgia you need 23 full (as in year-long) credits to graduate so that's 6 classes per year with 1 year of 5 classes. Middle school might not offer online summer school but should certainly have in person summer school.
College is easier to accommodate CF IMO because you can tailor your schedule to your personal needs and take a lighter course load if needed.

jshet

I am meeting with my sons school tomorrow regarding a 1/2 day program. His situation is a little different. He also has autism and we are looking at the life skills class for him. We are trying to get his service dog to attend also. We are able to do 1/2 day because of treatments and he's on a feeding tube. So far the school seems open. Good luck

Thanks guys! I meet with the district next week as the school doesn't have the authority to make the change officially. I guess our 504 Plan is written that if my son's not able to attend regularly he gets a "K" (pass/credit) grade, so we could just not go until 3rd hour. Next year is high school and I want to work something out that will let him graduate on time but only attend part of the classes. Summer school and partial days sounds like a plan, I'll make sure to check how many have to be year long credits, thanks for the info as I'd not have known I had to verify that!

jshet

Good luck TreasureGoddness, we received news that my so can attend 1/2 day with his service dog. I hope things go as easily for you as it did me. Janelle

Janelle, YAY! Best of luck. Glad the school and district are working with you guys! I've talked it over with my folks and we're going to just use the existing 504 Plan as is (where if he can't make it to enough of a class to get a letter grade, get a "K" pass for that class) instead of battling the district for this now. I will schedule a meeting with the high school counselors to discuss options of part days at school and summer classes to set up a plan NOW for next fall. Even though when my son is at his top health he can make it full days, it seems that we're not at that level for most of the school year. I'd rather be proactive and see what we can set up ahead of time. I got another email asking me to bring "substantial documentation" and just warning me that the representative from the district was not open to the idea for us to change my son's schedule officially. The counselor wasn't trying to scare me off, just wanted me to be prepared. She also said if he agrees it will only be temporary. I figure I want to pick my battles, so will wage this one for the high school where things could potentially be more difficult.

jshet

Wishing you the beat of luck also. Maybe look into having an advocate attend with you. I hope things go well for you. Take care!

Good idea!! I will bring along my aunt, a retired school teacher that has been an integral part of my son's care and our unofficial math tutor. :)

K

katethekid

Great idea to bring your aunt. My Mom worked at the school so she handled everything for me. College is way easier, the 'office for student's with disabilities' is a big help. Though I don't like being called 'disabled', they provided me all the help I needed.