Anyone have info on joint replacement for someone w/CF?

kristenj

Hey there,
I'm new to the forums and almost 35 years old with CF. I'm going to need a hip replacement and my CF clinic tells me there's really no research on this, which I believe, however, I have a hard time believing that joint replacements have not occured at all in any one with CF.
So, if anyone has heard of it happening or knows anyone or has had it themselves, I would love to get info. Obviously the risks are high (particularly of infection), although, the risks of not having it done are high too, due to my increasing pain which equals decreased activity which is a huge way I take care of my lungs. Thanks so much for any help!
Kristen

kristenj

Hey there,
I'm new to the forums and almost 35 years old with CF. I'm going to need a hip replacement and my CF clinic tells me there's really no research on this, which I believe, however, I have a hard time believing that joint replacements have not occured at all in any one with CF.
So, if anyone has heard of it happening or knows anyone or has had it themselves, I would love to get info. Obviously the risks are high (particularly of infection), although, the risks of not having it done are high too, due to my increasing pain which equals decreased activity which is a huge way I take care of my lungs. Thanks so much for any help!
Kristen

kristenj

Hey there,
Kristen

kristenj

Hey there,
Kristen

kristenj

Hey there,
<br />I'm new to the forums and almost 35 years old with CF. I'm going to need a hip replacement and my CF clinic tells me there's really no research on this, which I believe, however, I have a hard time believing that joint replacements have not occured at all in any one with CF.
<br />So, if anyone has heard of it happening or knows anyone or has had it themselves, I would love to get info. Obviously the risks are high (particularly of infection), although, the risks of not having it done are high too, due to my increasing pain which equals decreased activity which is a huge way I take care of my lungs. Thanks so much for any help!
<br />Kristen

benthyr123

I'm facing this also...I see there were no replies. I CAN'T be the only one who is about to embark on this. Thoughts? I'm going to try to have this done with a spinal, but I'm doubtful they will agree to this.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Hopefully your bump will help. I can't help with the CF component, but a very dear friend has had her two hips replaced (and then redone after whatever part they used were defective), and both knees replaced. Coincidentally, she also has two nephews with CF (so strange given "orphan disease"), and I know she'd be happy to share with me any of the details unrelated to CF to pass on to you, so let me know if there's anything I can ask her about for you.

I'm facing this also...I see there were no replies. I CAN'T be the only one who is about to embark on this. Thoughts? I'm going to try to have this done with a spinal, but I'm doubtful they will agree to this.