Anyone started IV antibiotics instead of orals for their first ever infection?

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Hey Mom,

I wonder if it might be good to share a little more detail with him with videos so he isn't completely on edge the second everyone walks in the door. I wish I could give you a play by play but DS's hospitalization was for GI issues so not sure how the first IV treatment goes. Maybe someone could walk you through everything so you can explain. And then see if you can Google and find a YouTube video showing IV lines etc. DS is very sensitive and before his 5 year old blood draw a couple weeks out I found a video of a little boy who didn't even flincth, and watched is many times. Then I got all the things out and walked him through it...alcohol wipe, strap for arm, needle (I didn't poke him overiously!). Started on his stuffed animal and then him and then at the blood craw place I reinded him of everything that would happen. It went 100 times soother than prior years when we could hold him easier. And for his temperament it works better as his mentally prepares hiself. For his flu shoot a couple months past I didn't mention it because we were doing at the end of clinic and he was hysterical, couldn't be held down, etc etc. So next time I'll fess up a couple weeks out and prepare him. aybe soething similar will help.
Good luck.

Hi All,
Just looking for some advice. My son who has just turned 5 and now has to go in for his first IV treatments.
Similar to your situation, he has been on oral anti biotics for 2 weeks but this did not clear the infection so now we have to go in.

The plan is to stay 2 nights in hospital and then bring him home and do home IV's.

We have told our boy that he needs to go in for these IV's (without going into too much detail).

He is naturally quite scarred about it, does anyone have advice on what to say to their kid about what is about to happen?

Thanks

Tipper

Thanks for the reply (i'm the Dad by the way :))
Yeh we had similar issues with the annual bloods and he used to get hysterical, our problem with the bloods was that he had to go back every two weeks for 2 months to give bloods (as he had a thyroid issue) so by the time it came to give all his annuals he was so fed up with giving blood, now he hates it(as do most kids).
I will look up some video's, he loves knowing what other kids with CF do for treatments as he never talks to anyone or meets anyone with CF (for obvious reasons) - but before we bought the Vest earlier this year we showed him you tube clips and he thought it was great.
We are in Ireland but found the cartoons on the UK CF website very good at explaining CF to kids. I might see if there are any clips on IV's.

Thanks for the advice.