Anyone w/CF not want to have kids?

Playswithpixels

Until recently I always believed CF women couldn't get pregnant. But I never wanted kids, even as a little girl I never "dreamed" of being a mom. Before I got married I discused this with my hubby and he agreed it was best not to have kids. My concern like many others was my meds and health and the effect it may have on the baby, also I refuse to bring a child into this world with the chance it might have CF. When I turned 21 I got my tubes tied, would have done it eariler but my insurance had an age limit for it. I've been married 14 yrs and we are happy, especially when I spend time with friends who have kids and I know I can go back to my quiet clean home and not be bothered...LOL. I do have dogs, and they are the best "kids" I could have :)

Andrea K :) 32 w/CF F507 F508, fev1 33%

Playswithpixels

Until recently I always believed CF women couldn't get pregnant. But I never wanted kids, even as a little girl I never "dreamed" of being a mom. Before I got married I discused this with my hubby and he agreed it was best not to have kids. My concern like many others was my meds and health and the effect it may have on the baby, also I refuse to bring a child into this world with the chance it might have CF. When I turned 21 I got my tubes tied, would have done it eariler but my insurance had an age limit for it. I've been married 14 yrs and we are happy, especially when I spend time with friends who have kids and I know I can go back to my quiet clean home and not be bothered...LOL. I do have dogs, and they are the best "kids" I could have :)

Playswithpixels

Playswithpixels

Playswithpixels

<br />
<br />Andrea K :) 32 w/CF F507 F508, fev1 33%

Diane

I was never into the "having babies" thing myself. Most of my friends couldnt wait to be parents and then once they were parents all they did was complain about it and tell me how lucky i was not to be one. When i was about 15 years old and there was hardly even a hint of cf in me a Dr. told me the worst thing i could do is have a baby. I had one cf Dr. tell me a growing baby would be like a parasite in my body taking everything from me nutrition-wise and leaving me with little to nothing. Looking back i think that was a harsh way to put it, but i got his message. Pregnancy isnt easy on a healthy person from what i have seen, and i imagine with cf it has to be be pretty hard especially if they arent in great condition.I am now 43 and i get exhausted when my neighbors 6 year old Granddaughter comes to visit me . Kids have no "off" button, they are always on "go".
I cannot imagine if i had a child how that could possibly be a good thing. Like a few on here have mentioned ,kids are forever sick, which with my having cepacia would wreak havoc on my health. I remember years ago when i was younger i had babysitting jobs ( one was for a whole week long stay at the house with the kids while the parents were at a medical conference). I came to realize even then while i was still healthy that kids arent in the cards for me. Its just too much work that i dont have the energy or patience for. I really admire those who can do it but for me , it would not work.

Diane

I was never into the "having babies" thing myself. Most of my friends couldnt wait to be parents and then once they were parents all they did was complain about it and tell me how lucky i was not to be one. When i was about 15 years old and there was hardly even a hint of cf in me a Dr. told me the worst thing i could do is have a baby. I had one cf Dr. tell me a growing baby would be like a parasite in my body taking everything from me nutrition-wise and leaving me with little to nothing. Looking back i think that was a harsh way to put it, but i got his message. Pregnancy isnt easy on a healthy person from what i have seen, and i imagine with cf it has to be be pretty hard especially if they arent in great condition.I am now 43 and i get exhausted when my neighbors 6 year old Granddaughter comes to visit me . Kids have no "off" button, they are always on "go".
I cannot imagine if i had a child how that could possibly be a good thing. Like a few on here have mentioned ,kids are forever sick, which with my having cepacia would wreak havoc on my health. I remember years ago when i was younger i had babysitting jobs ( one was for a whole week long stay at the house with the kids while the parents were at a medical conference). I came to realize even then while i was still healthy that kids arent in the cards for me. Its just too much work that i dont have the energy or patience for. I really admire those who can do it but for me , it would not work.

Diane

Diane

Diane

<br />I cannot imagine if i had a child how that could possibly be a good thing. Like a few on here have mentioned ,kids are forever sick, which with my having cepacia would wreak havoc on my health. I remember years ago when i was younger i had babysitting jobs ( one was for a whole week long stay at the house with the kids while the parents were at a medical conference). I came to realize even then while i was still healthy that kids arent in the cards for me. Its just too much work that i dont have the energy or patience for. I really admire those who can do it but for me , it would not work.

LGMClark

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>NoExcuses</b></i>
it's not fair for a kid in my opinion. If the CF prognosis stuff changes one day, I'll re-evaluate. But for now, it doesn't matter what I want. It's not fair for the kid.</end quote></div>

I have to agree...I wouldn't want to watch my mother, slowly get more and more sick...and god-forbid leave a child motherless.

This may be easy to say for me because I lost my father at a young age and would NEVER want my own child to go through that sorrow and pain.(and he died unexpectedly)

Im a teacher...I have 22 kids (age 11) from 8-3, M-F and that gives me my fix.

The saddest part that I have to come to terms with is my loving husband...who I know would make such a great father. He is the most supportive man I know and cares so deeply for me that he knows it's not healthy to do. He always says that he doesn't care if we don't have kids. He grew up without a mother and perhaps he feels the same as I. I just really feel bad sometimes.

Bottom line...I'm too selfish...not in a bad way...but in the fact that most of my time has to do with ME...taking care of myself...I need sleep.

From what I can see from all of my friends who ar trying for their second...parenting is very time consuming..and time is just something that I need and something that I don't have.

I'm glad someone posted this...it's been on my mind for a few years now.

LGMClark

it's not fair for a kid in my opinion. If the CF prognosis stuff changes one day, I'll re-evaluate. But for now, it doesn't matter what I want. It's not fair for the kid.</end quote></div>

I have to agree...I wouldn't want to watch my mother, slowly get more and more sick...and god-forbid leave a child motherless.

This may be easy to say for me because I lost my father at a young age and would NEVER want my own child to go through that sorrow and pain.(and he died unexpectedly)

The saddest part that I have to come to terms with is my loving husband...who I know would make such a great father. He is the most supportive man I know and cares so deeply for me that he knows it's not healthy to do. He always says that he doesn't care if we don't have kids. He grew up without a mother and perhaps he feels the same as I. I just really feel bad sometimes.

Bottom line...I'm too selfish...not in a bad way...but in the fact that most of my time has to do with ME...taking care of myself...I need sleep.

From what I can see from all of my friends who ar trying for their second...parenting is very time consuming..and time is just something that I need and something that I don't have.

LGMClark

LGMClark

it's not fair for a kid in my opinion. If the CF prognosis stuff changes one day, I'll re-evaluate. But for now, it doesn't matter what I want. It's not fair for the kid.</end quote>

LGMClark

<br />it's not fair for a kid in my opinion. If the CF prognosis stuff changes one day, I'll re-evaluate. But for now, it doesn't matter what I want. It's not fair for the kid.</end quote>
<br />
<br />I have to agree...I wouldn't want to watch my mother, slowly get more and more sick...and god-forbid leave a child motherless.
<br />
<br />This may be easy to say for me because I lost my father at a young age and would NEVER want my own child to go through that sorrow and pain.(and he died unexpectedly)
<br />
<br />Im a teacher...I have 22 kids (age 11) from 8-3, M-F and that gives me my fix.
<br />
<br />The saddest part that I have to come to terms with is my loving husband...who I know would make such a great father. He is the most supportive man I know and cares so deeply for me that he knows it's not healthy to do. He always says that he doesn't care if we don't have kids. He grew up without a mother and perhaps he feels the same as I. I just really feel bad sometimes.
<br />
<br />Bottom line...I'm too selfish...not in a bad way...but in the fact that most of my time has to do with ME...taking care of myself...I need sleep.
<br />
<br />From what I can see from all of my friends who ar trying for their second...parenting is very time consuming..and time is just something that I need and something that I don't have.
<br />
<br />I'm glad someone posted this...it's been on my mind for a few years now.

LGMClark

LGMClark

LGMClark

LGMClark

it's not fair for a kid in my opinion. If the CF prognosis stuff changes one day, I'll re-evaluate. But for now, it doesn't matter what I want. It's not fair for the kid.</end quote>

LGMClark

<br />it's not fair for a kid in my opinion. If the CF prognosis stuff changes one day, I'll re-evaluate. But for now, it doesn't matter what I want. It's not fair for the kid.</end quote>
<br />
<br />I have to agree...I wouldn't want to watch my mother, slowly get more and more sick...and god-forbid leave a child motherless.
<br />
<br />This may be easy to say for me because I lost my father at a young age and would NEVER want my own child to go through that sorrow and pain.(and he died unexpectedly)
<br />
<br />Im a teacher...I have 22 kids (age 11) from 8-3, M-F and that gives me my fix.
<br />
<br />The saddest part that I have to come to terms with is my loving husband...who I know would make such a great father. He is the most supportive man I know and cares so deeply for me that he knows it's not healthy to do. He always says that he doesn't care if we don't have kids. He grew up without a mother and perhaps he feels the same as I. I just really feel bad sometimes.
<br />
<br />Bottom line...I'm too selfish...not in a bad way...but in the fact that most of my time has to do with ME...taking care of myself...I need sleep.
<br />
<br />From what I can see from all of my friends who ar trying for their second...parenting is very time consuming..and time is just something that I need and something that I don't have.
<br />
<br />I'm glad someone posted this...it's been on my mind for a few years now.