Anyone with S945L ?

HeatherC123

Three weeks after giving birth to my son I got a call saying he had failed his newborn screening for CF. We went to UVA about a month later for a sweat test. He tested in the "grey" area. After blood work I was told they were only able to find 1 mutation, Delta F508. We then went every 6 months for sweat test. This summer we decided to join a test group that Johns Hopkins was offereing. They were able to find his second mutation... S945L. Our doctor has never worked with anyone who has these 2 mutations. I would LOVE to talk with someone who has this.

triples15

Super Moderator
Three weeks after giving birth to my son I got a call saying he had failed his newborn screening for CF. We went to UVA about a month later for a sweat test. He tested in the "grey" area. After blood work I was told they were only able to find 1 mutation, Delta F508. We then went every 6 months for sweat test. This summer we decided to join a test group that Johns Hopkins was offereing. They were able to find his second mutation... S945L. Our doctor has never worked with anyone who has these 2 mutations. I would LOVE to talk with someone who has this.

Hi Heather!

I have DF508/S945L! S945L is a more rare mutation, hence why they didn't find it until they did the expanded genetic testing. I tested borderline my first sweat test as well. However, it was done at our local small town family practice. When we got to the accredited CF clinic and they retested, I was positive (in the low 80s, always forget the exact number).

Anyway, not sure what all you are curious about, but I am a 34 year old college graduate, married with a 3 year old daughter. My current baseline FEV1 is in the mid to upper 60s. I am pancreatic insufficient on paper, however, require very few LOW dose enzymes. I actually didn't take any for several years, but after the birth of my daughter I lost a lot of weight due to breastfeeding and not eating enough, so they put me back on enzymes just in an effort to help to me gain weight. Prior to that I had never had an issue keeping weight on, and my weight is now back up to where I could actually stand to lose about 5 lbs! Lol. I do, however, have a history of pancreatitis, and my fecal elastase number is VERY low, despite needing few to no enzymes. The docs say they sometimes see the really low fecal elastase numbers in people who have had pancreatitis, so they think that explains the number.

So one of the excellent things about the S945L is that it is a "residual function" mutation, and it looks like Kalydeco should work very well for us! Just a matter of getting through the trials and getting it approved for it.

I'm sorry to hear of your little guy's diagnosis, but there is reason for you to have SO much hope, especially with all the stuff that's going on right now! Does he have any symptoms? My parents say I coughed from the moment I was born, and would sometimes cough until I literally turned blue. My mom kept taking me to the doctor, but they kept telling her that my lungs sounded clear. It wasn't until they witnessed one of my coughing episodes that they realized something was off. :( So thankful for the newborn screening so that other parents don't have to go through what mine did (although some cases do still get missed).

Anyway, please let me know if there's anything else I can answer for you!

Take care,

Autumn 34 w/CF

HeatherC123

It is so nice to meet you! We have never met anyone else with those 2 mutations. Our son has never had a positive sweet test. He actually had one today and it was still in the Grey area. He is undund

HeatherC123

He is underweight and needs to gain several pounds. So we are going to try enzymes even though he is considered pancreatic sufficient.

HeatherC123

Where are you from? If you don't mind me asking. Also do you do treatments? He currently does albuterol and pulmazyme once a day with 30 mins of vest therapy.

D

Dank

I also have this. Both of my mutations are rare I believe, so not sure what good I can be. Looks like Autumn here would be a perfect reference for ya.

triples15

Super Moderator
Oh yes, Dank has S945L! And there are a couple others that jump on this site from time to time! :)

I don't mind answering your questions at all! I was born and raised in Nebraska, but recently moved to Texas.

Yes, i've always done treatments. Currently for nebs I do albuterol, Hyper-Sal, Pulmozyme, and alternating months of Cayston. I also take Zithromax on M-W-F, Advair, and of course vitamins. I use The Vest twice daily for CPT (more often during exacerbations).

How old is your son now? I'm kind of wondering why they are re-sweat testing him again, given the genetics proving cystic fibrosis. I guess maybe just curiosity?

I hope he is able to gain some weight soon! There is lots of good advice on this site for how to help add calories! Let me know if you want any help finding an old thread discussing ideas, or you could start a new one. I'm always impressed with all the ideas that I would have never thought of!

Autumn 34 w/CF

jpear1977

My son is nine and was recently diagnosed with F508 and S945L. I would love to hear how everyone is doing that has this mutation and what treatments you are one. I can't seem to find anyone with the same combo as him.

jpear1977

F508/s945l

Hi Heather!

I have DF508/S945L! S945L is a more rare mutation, hence why they didn't find it until they did the expanded genetic testing. I tested borderline my first sweat test as well. However, it was done at our local small town family practice. When we got to the accredited CF clinic and they retested, I was positive (in the low 80s, always forget the exact number).

My son also has these mutations. He is 10 and was just diagnosed last year. He was repeatedly misdiagnosed with severe asthma and allergies. Multiple cases of "pneumonia" -- turns out he has CF. No one in my family was previously diagnosed. What a shocker.

I see your message is a few years old- I hope your son is doing well. Is he PS? any other issues that you have encountered?

triples15

Super Moderator
Hi Jpear,

I think your message is directed more at Heather, but wanted to say that I'm still around. :) Still doing pretty well at 36. I'm still PI on paper, but require few to no enzymes and am actually "pleasantly plump". My lung function is now in the 50s, but working more on exercising and hoping to get them up a smidge. Since starting Kalydeco this year I do feel better, cough less, and have more energy, but have not had any lung function improvement.

I'm sorry to hear about your son, but it's good to finally have a diagnosis and proper treatment.

Let me know if you have any specific questions for me!

Take care,

Autumn