Anyone with tattoos on arm/ forearm - does it make it harder for IV treatments?

nocode

Hello,

I have a tattoo on my forearm and it's never been a problem as far as IV treatments go. I have been considering getting a half sleeve on one of my arms but I am afraid that it might interfere with IV treatments and anything related with veins in that area. I certainly won't get a tattoo if that will make it difficult to find my veins or cause any other difficulty cf wise.

Anyone know anything about this/ has experienced this?

In case it makes a difference, I have not had a transplant.

Thanks for any input,
Vera, 29

Note - If you are against tattoos please refrain from replying. I am looking for people who will be able to help with regards to my specific concern. :) Thanks.

B

bookperson

Hi,

I got a tattoo after I got my first picc line, right over the scar. It was to commemorate, I suppose, crossing into a new phase of CF life. Anyway, every subsequent picc has gone into the exact same spot/vein with no interference. I asked the picc nurse about it once, and she said the only trouble it might cause is for the tattoo, because there will be a little scar at the insertion site.

Hope that helps you.

M

Matt31

I have tats on forearm an upper arm. They don't make any difference at all. I'm in the process for a full sleeve tat.

azdesertrat

I have a tattoo on my right forearm.
Actually, it helps insert an IV in my case.
There is a certain feature on the tattoo the nurse can aim for & she/he will stick it just about every time!
I have not used the vein too much yet. So it is still a valued little 'Aimpoint' that I don't want to abuse.
As you are probably well know, if you use the same area too frequently you will wreck that vein.
I would not suggest going to get a tattoo based on such a thing, but since I already have it I guess it works, eh...

running4life

I have a tattoo on the inside of my right bicep. I've had one PICC line and they just used my left arm instead, because I didn't want a scare in the middle of my tat.

Craige Leeder

Kind of related, but I wonder if tattoo placement would have an effect on different treatments in the future. Are there areas we should avoid completely, such as our chest (Trastplant, Port), or any other areas that could cause interference one day?

Personally, I'd avoid the chest all together, because why risk it, but I'm not sure if there are other areas that we should think about.