Appealing an SSI denial

Jane

Digital opinion leader
Josh applied for SSI and just received his letter saying they find him not disabled. Has anyone else written a successful appeal? How do you go about it?

triples15

Super Moderator
Hi Jane,

Sorry you guys are dealing with this, it's beyond stressful!

I was approved on my initial application for SSDI, however, last year on a review I was determined to "no longer be disabled". That's right, I got better. HA! So, I had to appeal.

Anyway, for both my initial application and my appeal (of the review decision), I used Julie Raysbrook (Disability Advocates for Cystic Fibrosis). I'm guessing you've probably seen her around this site. I think the appeal process for my "cessation" was pretty dang similar to a regular appeal of an initial denial. I was SO glad to have Julie's help, it was pretty nerve racking. We won the appeal on what they call "reconsideration", before having to go before an adjudicator. I was beyond relieved. Basically, Julie just sent them a strongly worded letter and broke down EXACTLY how I met (exceeded) the impairment listing. Then highlighted my PERTINENT medical records (I think our medical records can be overwhelming/confusing to the average Joe Schmo) and sent that with the letter. After that I received a letter saying that I was, after all, still disabled. UGH. The whole thing was a nightmare.

My advice would be to not go it alone. I'd look into either Julie, or Beth Suffian as previously mentioned. I think Beth can only take on so many cases, so you *may* have a hard time getting her assistance. Julie is free and i had a great experience with her both times I needed her!

Anyway, good luck!! And please let me know if you have any other questions I could maybe help with.

Autumn 33 w/CF

triples15

Super Moderator
PS. If you choose to go it alone, I could scan and send you the letter Julie sent with mine and you could use the format.

cflawyer

The CF Social Security Project (CFSSP) has no limit on the number of cases it can take and the service is provided FREE to people with CF.

The CFSSP is funded by the CF Patient Assistance Foundaton, a subsidiary of the CF Foundation.

CFSSP typically takes cases at the application stage because that allows the attorneys to develop the case properly and usually obtain approval in 3-4 months. But it will sometimes take appeals and can represent people in a review of benefits. All cases are handled by attorneys with a combined 58 years of experience representing people with CF.

Congress has instructed SSA to increase scrutiny of SSA applications and appeals. So it is important to be represented by an attorney who will spend time working on the case.

SSA may be changing the medical eligibility for benefits in July 2014. These changes may make it harder for people with CF to obtain benefits and will make it even more important to have representation by an attorney who will spend a significant amount of time developing the case.

The CF Social Security Project shares the same staff as the CF Legal Information Hotline. You can call
1-800-622-0385 for more information about Social Security benefits or email CFLegal@sufianpassamano.com.

Nothing in this post is meant to be a solicitation of legal work but is only meant to inform the community of a resource.

ep1713

Hi Autumn (triples15),

I'm sending you a PM with a few questions if you don't mind. Thanks so much in advance!

Liza

There is a difference between SSI and SSDI. My Rachel has never worked so was not eligible for SSDI. She applied for SSI, was told she qualified but then was turned down for any SSI because her A1C husband apparently makes too much money because they (Social Security powers that be) counted their housing allowance as income even though they don't see it (it's all taken) because they chose to live on base so she'd be in a safe environment in the event of deployment. We contacted the program spoken of earlier, through the CFF. They'll determine if they can help, then review if you're eligible, financially, for their program. Which helps with legal expenses. I don't know if we understood it wrong but we understood it to mean that there'd be legal expenses (ie, lawyer) They can't afford a lawyer in any way, so they've given up. Which I am sure is exactly what the SSA is hoping most people will do.

Jane

Digital opinion leader
From what I understood from talking to Beth, the CFF helps pay for legal expenses associated with your appeal. That may be incorrect, but it's worth checking.

Jane

Digital opinion leader
I went back to check my email from Beth Sufian

"Thank you for contacting the CF Social Security Project about filing an application for Social Security benefits. As we discussed, we have funding from the Cystic Fibrosis Patient Assistance Foundation (CFPAF), a subsidiary of the CF Foundation, which allows us to represent people with CF whose household income is less than 400% of poverty with an initial application for SSA benefits."