Are you continuing HTS for <6?

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
We had recently saw the study results on the <6 for hypertonic saline. Our son will be 3 shortly. He's been on hts since about 2. I was curious what others are doing? We plan on continuing for several reasons:
1) It seems to induce a cough and he coughs during treatment and then much less often throughout the day.
2) Even if the study says no benefit, logically I don't see how hydrating his lungs can't be of some benefit. It's not like it will magically start helping at 6.
3) He is use to it now and given #1 & 2, I like the idea of not having to start it up again "new" when he is 6,not use to it and at that point might seem icky/harsh (he doesn't mind it at all now).
I would love to hear other's thoughts though!

bbell420

I actually completely agree with you. My son is 15 months old and has been doing the HTS for the past 3 months now and is finally use to it. We started it because of his test results from his first PFT showed he already has lung disease starting in his airways. Immidiately after starting the HTS we noticed he had a large increase in the amount of his coughs and more mucus coming out with these coughs. It took about a month for him to get everything that was stuck down in his lungs out but now that he has his coughs are much less in frequency.
I really don't seem the harm in continuing it either so unless his doctor wants him of it I plan to keep doing it as well.

MargaritaChic

Does anyone havea link to the study results?
My daughter is 4and is currently on a 3 week round of HTS due to having been hospitalized for pnemonia and influenza. At this point, we do not plan to continue HTS after the 3 weeks.
My daughter was a part of the ISIS study that tested HTS on children under 6 years old. I am curious if the study results you are discussing are from that study.

Rebjane

Super Moderator
My daughter has been on HTS since she was about 4; She is now 9. I remember when she started Hypersal at 4 years old she ended up gaining a few pounds; she coughed like crazy for a month, needed some oral antibitotics and then felt better. My daughter is of course over 6 years old and does have lung involvement. I do not plan on taking her off HTS, of course. We use a face mask and it helps her sinuses. Every kid is different and this treatment has been another tool to keep things cleaned out.

scanboyd

Hts works for me, can not say enough good things about it. Used it for 10+ yrs. As stated on previous post, I have both 3 & 7%, for me personally can not tell the difference, both help me cough mucous up and out. I use the 3% since no difference to me. One thing that I do is get well hydrated espically prior to the A.M. rx. Mucous gotta be thined a bit before it breaks loose.
I read the study, .9% is not strong enough, needs to be at least 3% hts to do any good in my opinion. 7% might be a bit too strong for very small children??
Good luck.

MargaritaChic

I believe the .09% was the control group. The participants that actually got HTSrecieved 7%.
My daughter participated in the study. She does not have significant lung involvement yet. She had her first hospitalization recently (for pnemonia and influenza). She is 4 1/2.
My personal opinion is that when children are this young we need to take into account the effort versus the gain. For my daughter HTS added an additional 40 minutes a day to her treatments. She was 2.5-3 years oldduring the study. Going from 1 hour to 1 hour and 40 minutes is a significant change for a child that young. If I saw huge benefits, then I would definately be pushing her doctors to put her on it. SHe did not get a hugeimprovement from it at that time (there was not alot to approve upon at that point in her life). Therefore, I am not pushing for it at this time. I will however push to add it as time goes on, because I do think it can offer alot of benefit.
If your child has lung involvement and you see a difference when they are taking HTS. I suggest you push for it. It is realitively inexpensive,it does not have major side effects and it gets them coughing up the junk in their lungs.
My daughterhas been on Mucomyst and albuterol 2X a day since she was 1 month old. Right now our current routine is working well for us, so we are sticking with it. :0)