At my wits end

Seana30

Hi all. Hope everyone is well.

I am going to try to make a long story short. Courtney is ill and no one can seem to figure out what is wrong!

About 3 weeks ago Courtney was started on Augmentin for a sinus infection (no big deal, she gets sinus infections about 3 to 4 times a year. While on the augmentin she started having belly and back pain.

The pain got so bad I took her to the ER. We had this quack doctor and he did nothing. He was more interested in telling us that since she has CF she should be drinking milk from type D cows instead of type A cow. He looks at her urine tests, said nothing was wrong and sent us home.

Two days later she is in so much pain she is crying. Take her to the doc, he opens the urine test results and in two seconds tells us she has a uti. He puts her on bactrum. A day later he calls me and says she has a rare bacteria in her urine that normally only pregnant women have (no she is not pregnant) group B strep virus. He says to stay on the bactrum, that it will take care of it.

Two days later she is still in pain and breaks out in a horrible rash. Back to the doc. She says Courtney has Scarlet Fever, which is Group A strep and that the bactrum will NOT take care of the uti. She puts her on PenK.

Yesterday, STILL not better, back to the doc. This doc says she now has the normal bacteria (ecoli) in her urine. She said she would call us today with the results, but no call.

Today, Courtney has started throwing up.

SOOOO...in a matter of two weeks, while being on three seperate types of antibiotics this child has contracted 3 diffirent types of bacteria or virus.

THIS MAKES NO SENSE TO ME! I am at my wits end. I just dont know what to do!

For those of you that dont know, Courtney has military insurance and is seen at the local military hospital who does not have a CF doc. Her CF doc is in San Antonio and she only sees him maybe once a year.

Help, this is not making any sense to me and I dont know what to do!

Seana

Seana30

I am going to try to make a long story short. Courtney is ill and no one can seem to figure out what is wrong!

About 3 weeks ago Courtney was started on Augmentin for a sinus infection (no big deal, she gets sinus infections about 3 to 4 times a year. While on the augmentin she started having belly and back pain.

The pain got so bad I took her to the ER. We had this quack doctor and he did nothing. He was more interested in telling us that since she has CF she should be drinking milk from type D cows instead of type A cow. He looks at her urine tests, said nothing was wrong and sent us home.

Two days later she is in so much pain she is crying. Take her to the doc, he opens the urine test results and in two seconds tells us she has a uti. He puts her on bactrum. A day later he calls me and says she has a rare bacteria in her urine that normally only pregnant women have (no she is not pregnant) group B strep virus. He says to stay on the bactrum, that it will take care of it.

Two days later she is still in pain and breaks out in a horrible rash. Back to the doc. She says Courtney has Scarlet Fever, which is Group A strep and that the bactrum will NOT take care of the uti. She puts her on PenK.

Yesterday, STILL not better, back to the doc. This doc says she now has the normal bacteria (ecoli) in her urine. She said she would call us today with the results, but no call.

Today, Courtney has started throwing up.

SOOOO...in a matter of two weeks, while being on three seperate types of antibiotics this child has contracted 3 diffirent types of bacteria or virus.

THIS MAKES NO SENSE TO ME! I am at my wits end. I just dont know what to do!

For those of you that dont know, Courtney has military insurance and is seen at the local military hospital who does not have a CF doc. Her CF doc is in San Antonio and she only sees him maybe once a year.

Help, this is not making any sense to me and I dont know what to do!

Seana

Seana30

<br />
<br />I am going to try to make a long story short. Courtney is ill and no one can seem to figure out what is wrong!
<br />
<br />About 3 weeks ago Courtney was started on Augmentin for a sinus infection (no big deal, she gets sinus infections about 3 to 4 times a year. While on the augmentin she started having belly and back pain.
<br />
<br />The pain got so bad I took her to the ER. We had this quack doctor and he did nothing. He was more interested in telling us that since she has CF she should be drinking milk from type D cows instead of type A cow. He looks at her urine tests, said nothing was wrong and sent us home.
<br />
<br />Two days later she is in so much pain she is crying. Take her to the doc, he opens the urine test results and in two seconds tells us she has a uti. He puts her on bactrum. A day later he calls me and says she has a rare bacteria in her urine that normally only pregnant women have (no she is not pregnant) group B strep virus. He says to stay on the bactrum, that it will take care of it.
<br />
<br />Two days later she is still in pain and breaks out in a horrible rash. Back to the doc. She says Courtney has Scarlet Fever, which is Group A strep and that the bactrum will NOT take care of the uti. She puts her on PenK.
<br />
<br />Yesterday, STILL not better, back to the doc. This doc says she now has the normal bacteria (ecoli) in her urine. She said she would call us today with the results, but no call.
<br />
<br />Today, Courtney has started throwing up.
<br />
<br />SOOOO...in a matter of two weeks, while being on three seperate types of antibiotics this child has contracted 3 diffirent types of bacteria or virus.
<br />
<br />THIS MAKES NO SENSE TO ME! I am at my wits end. I just dont know what to do!
<br />
<br />For those of you that dont know, Courtney has military insurance and is seen at the local military hospital who does not have a CF doc. Her CF doc is in San Antonio and she only sees him maybe once a year.
<br />
<br />Help, this is not making any sense to me and I dont know what to do!
<br />
<br />Seana

jbrandonAW

Well first, WHY are you not seeing her CF doc 4 times a year. Its SOO important. IF the place is too far away -1 the military will reimburse you or 2 you can get a compassionate reassignment to an installation closer to another CF clinic. We are army and deal with this b/c our clinic is 3 hours away.

2nd, I would take her BACK to the doctor and make them redo all tests -urine AND blood work, along with a chest xray. And then go from there. While she is on those meds I suggest starting garlic (its a natural antibiotic and kills most things). I would get her on a good probiotic and double the dose(this will help with tummy troubles and boost immune system). Also try some vit C to boost her immune system.

Also ask them about doing 2 differnt antibiotics at the same time. You need to make them understand that with CF you have to be extremely agressive!

jbrandonAW

Well first, WHY are you not seeing her CF doc 4 times a year. Its SOO important. IF the place is too far away -1 the military will reimburse you or 2 you can get a compassionate reassignment to an installation closer to another CF clinic. We are army and deal with this b/c our clinic is 3 hours away.

2nd, I would take her BACK to the doctor and make them redo all tests -urine AND blood work, along with a chest xray. And then go from there. While she is on those meds I suggest starting garlic (its a natural antibiotic and kills most things). I would get her on a good probiotic and double the dose(this will help with tummy troubles and boost immune system). Also try some vit C to boost her immune system.

Also ask them about doing 2 differnt antibiotics at the same time. You need to make them understand that with CF you have to be extremely agressive!

jbrandonAW

<br />
<br />2nd, I would take her BACK to the doctor and make them redo all tests -urine AND blood work, along with a chest xray. And then go from there. While she is on those meds I suggest starting garlic (its a natural antibiotic and kills most things). I would get her on a good probiotic and double the dose(this will help with tummy troubles and boost immune system). Also try some vit C to boost her immune system.
<br />
<br />Also ask them about doing 2 differnt antibiotics at the same time. You need to make them understand that with CF you have to be extremely agressive!

M

moxie1

Is she still on the first antibiotic?

My mom was put on an antibiotic for a UTI and immediately started experiencing stomach and back aches. It turns out that she was having a reaction to the drug.

M

moxie1

My mom was put on an antibiotic for a UTI and immediately started experiencing stomach and back aches. It turns out that she was having a reaction to the drug.

M

moxie1

<br />
<br />My mom was put on an antibiotic for a UTI and immediately started experiencing stomach and back aches. It turns out that she was having a reaction to the drug.

JustDucky

Weird....maybe the lab is messing up on her urine cultures or there is contamination issues. Either way, she needs to be recultured to see what is going on and blood tests would be helpful too. Poor thing, UTI's are painful, I have had my share of them along with kidney infections and the pain has brought me to my knees at times. If she is still having bad back pain, maybe her kidneys are infected too which might take a little longer to clear. I can tell you that cranberry juice is helpful, drink lots of it along with lots of other fluids. Being well hydrated to flush the bacteria is important. If she keeps getting these infections, maybe they should look into why this is the case such as a cystogram (not pleasant but they can get a good view of the bladder, urethra and the opening of the ureters), ultrasound of the kidneys, even a CT scan.
I hope she feels better soon and that you get answers, it all just seems so confusing that 3 different bacteria have been named as the cause. Poor girl...
Hugs,
Jenn

JustDucky

Weird....maybe the lab is messing up on her urine cultures or there is contamination issues. Either way, she needs to be recultured to see what is going on and blood tests would be helpful too. Poor thing, UTI's are painful, I have had my share of them along with kidney infections and the pain has brought me to my knees at times. If she is still having bad back pain, maybe her kidneys are infected too which might take a little longer to clear. I can tell you that cranberry juice is helpful, drink lots of it along with lots of other fluids. Being well hydrated to flush the bacteria is important. If she keeps getting these infections, maybe they should look into why this is the case such as a cystogram (not pleasant but they can get a good view of the bladder, urethra and the opening of the ureters), ultrasound of the kidneys, even a CT scan.
I hope she feels better soon and that you get answers, it all just seems so confusing that 3 different bacteria have been named as the cause. Poor girl...
Hugs,
Jenn

JustDucky

<br />I hope she feels better soon and that you get answers, it all just seems so confusing that 3 different bacteria have been named as the cause. Poor girl...
<br />Hugs,
<br />Jenn

JustDucky

I reread your post and see that she is vomiting, I did that whenever my kidneys were infected. Is she running a fever by any chance? Sounds like she needs more aggressive antibiotics to clear this. She has been sick with this for 2 weeks? Wow...Yeah, I would be angry with the doc if I were you too. Take her to a different doc if this one won't listen, she needs to see someone who will take her seriously. After two weeks, she should bee feeling much better, not still sick and in pain. Usually, I felt better within days of treatment...so something isn't right.
Jenn

JustDucky

I reread your post and see that she is vomiting, I did that whenever my kidneys were infected. Is she running a fever by any chance? Sounds like she needs more aggressive antibiotics to clear this. She has been sick with this for 2 weeks? Wow...Yeah, I would be angry with the doc if I were you too. Take her to a different doc if this one won't listen, she needs to see someone who will take her seriously. After two weeks, she should bee feeling much better, not still sick and in pain. Usually, I felt better within days of treatment...so something isn't right.
Jenn

JustDucky

<br />Jenn

hmw

I can't help by make a point... group B strep is not necessarily found more often among pregnant woman than the general population. They just TEST all pregnant women for it because of the effects it can have on a newborn if they contract it during the birthing process. Someone can test positive for it and be completely asymptomatic- pregnant or not. But without a risk factor like pregnancy, there isn't really a reason to look for it if there is no sign of infection. I'd be really confused too, though, hearing about all these forms of bacteria showing up, etc and wonder what they were talking about, if the tests got mixed up, or if the dr was just really incompetent about the whole thing.

Clearly, something is not right and more aggressive action needs to be taken by a more knowledgeable doctor. Bactrim, for example, IS a common first-line treatment for UTI's- but someone with CF often has been on that abx so many times at very high dosages as part of their tx for exacerbations, and may not respond to it for something like this. She might need a med in a class that she does not typically use for her CF exacerbations to tackle this infection.

I agree with all of the above. I hope she is feeling better soon once she can get repeat testing and onto a more effective course of treatment. I've had some nasty UTI's and know how miserable they are. I'm so sorry she's going through this.

hmw

I can't help by make a point... group B strep is not necessarily found more often among pregnant woman than the general population. They just TEST all pregnant women for it because of the effects it can have on a newborn if they contract it during the birthing process. Someone can test positive for it and be completely asymptomatic- pregnant or not. But without a risk factor like pregnancy, there isn't really a reason to look for it if there is no sign of infection. I'd be really confused too, though, hearing about all these forms of bacteria showing up, etc and wonder what they were talking about, if the tests got mixed up, or if the dr was just really incompetent about the whole thing.

Clearly, something is not right and more aggressive action needs to be taken by a more knowledgeable doctor. Bactrim, for example, IS a common first-line treatment for UTI's- but someone with CF often has been on that abx so many times at very high dosages as part of their tx for exacerbations, and may not respond to it for something like this. She might need a med in a class that she does not typically use for her CF exacerbations to tackle this infection.

I agree with all of the above. I hope she is feeling better soon once she can get repeat testing and onto a more effective course of treatment. I've had some nasty UTI's and know how miserable they are. I'm so sorry she's going through this.

hmw

<br />
<br />Clearly, something is not right and more aggressive action needs to be taken by a more knowledgeable doctor. Bactrim, for example, IS a common first-line treatment for UTI's- but someone with CF often has been on that abx so many times at very high dosages as part of their tx for exacerbations, and may not respond to it for something like this. She might need a med in a class that she does not typically use for her CF exacerbations to tackle this infection.
<br />
<br />I agree with all of the above. I hope she is feeling better soon once she can get repeat testing and onto a more effective course of treatment. I've had some nasty UTI's and know how miserable they are. I'm so sorry she's going through this.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
IMO, you should call the CF clinic. Could be she's being misdiagnosed. A friend of mind had gallbladder issues with similar symtoms. Have they done an Ultrasound to see if it's something else -- bowel, kidney, gallbladder...?

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
IMO, you should call the CF clinic. Could be she's being misdiagnosed. A friend of mind had gallbladder issues with similar symtoms. Have they done an Ultrasound to see if it's something else -- bowel, kidney, gallbladder...?