baby is having odd symptoms

Scarlett81

I didnt know where to post this since my LO does not have cf, (I do), but all you parents of kids with Cf are so experienced in this particular issue, and we cfers are too!

My 5 month old has had these sneezing episodes and morning stuffiness, well since day one pretty much. I regularly give her saline and suction her each morning. The nasal stuff basically comes and goes. She has had a morning cough on and off too. I assumed this is just typical baby stuff. Being a first time mom, I don't know what normal stuffiness is. She sneezes every day.
This past week it is increased though. She has a little cough with it. It sounds wheezy. Her nasal discharge is clear and pretty continuous. At night she has been sleeping with her mouth open and nightime nursing she is very stuffed up.
Today things got a little scary. I suctioned her as usual. Last night she seemed esp stuffed while nursing-she had trouble eating bc of it. I laid her on the floor on a blanket while I ate breakfast. As I ate she had a few sneezing fits. Then she started to gasp for air and get very red eyes.
She had the gasping 5-6 times in a 1 hr period.
The past few days she has been out of it. "Zoning" out. A little droopy, lethargic would be the clinical term I guess. It comes and goes. Its not all the time. She is interested in her toys and in engaged in us, but not as much as usual. She's not my typical happy girl. I can see it in her eyes. She's not giving as much eye contact as usual.
I called the doc and they said we had to come in right away. We are going at 6. They said if she gasps again we have to go the ER.

More background info-fyi-
I am being treated for an exacerbation right now. I am on Zosyn and Ceftaz IV. I
don't think this is related, but I figured I'd mention it.

What do you think?

Scarlett81

I didnt know where to post this since my LO does not have cf, (I do), but all you parents of kids with Cf are so experienced in this particular issue, and we cfers are too!

My 5 month old has had these sneezing episodes and morning stuffiness, well since day one pretty much. I regularly give her saline and suction her each morning. The nasal stuff basically comes and goes. She has had a morning cough on and off too. I assumed this is just typical baby stuff. Being a first time mom, I don't know what normal stuffiness is. She sneezes every day.
This past week it is increased though. She has a little cough with it. It sounds wheezy. Her nasal discharge is clear and pretty continuous. At night she has been sleeping with her mouth open and nightime nursing she is very stuffed up.
Today things got a little scary. I suctioned her as usual. Last night she seemed esp stuffed while nursing-she had trouble eating bc of it. I laid her on the floor on a blanket while I ate breakfast. As I ate she had a few sneezing fits. Then she started to gasp for air and get very red eyes.
The past few days she has been out of it. "Zoning" out. A little droopy, lethargic would be the clinical term I guess. It comes and goes. Its not all the time. She is interested in her toys and in engaged in us, but not as much as usual. She's not my typical happy girl. I can see it in her eyes. She's not giving as much eye contact as usual.
I called the doc and they said we had to come in right away. We are going at 6. They said if she gasps again we have to go the ER.

I am being treated for an exacerbation right now. I am on Zosyn and Ceftaz IV. I

What do you think?

Scarlett81

What do you think?

Scarlett81

What do you think?

Scarlett81

What do you think?

JohnnaMarie

That is so scary when your little one is having a bad time. Sounds like she needs to be in the hospital for a bit too. Good Luck

JohnnaMarie

That is so scary when your little one is having a bad time. Sounds like she needs to be in the hospital for a bit too. Good Luck

JohnnaMarie

JohnnaMarie

JohnnaMarie

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Is she breathing very fast, retracting? With teeny tiny infants they have a very difficult time breathing when they're stuffed up. DS had a couple of sinus infections when he was about 6-8 months old and I'd stand by his crib or while rocking him and watch him breathe -- he'd sound terrible.

But might be a good idea to have her checked for RSV (respiratory synctial virus).

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Is she breathing very fast, retracting? With teeny tiny infants they have a very difficult time breathing when they're stuffed up. DS had a couple of sinus infections when he was about 6-8 months old and I'd stand by his crib or while rocking him and watch him breathe -- he'd sound terrible.

But might be a good idea to have her checked for RSV (respiratory synctial virus).

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

JennifersHope

I was going to say right away as soon as I saw this.. Never ever wait when a baby is gasping for air.. Babies can't fake it or over play something... if she was gasping that means she was in distress...

I hope the doctor gave you some answers... You can never and I mean never be to safe when it comes to newborn babies........They don't have any means to protect themself or really clear their airway...

Please update so I won't be nervous..

Jennifer

JennifersHope

I was going to say right away as soon as I saw this.. Never ever wait when a baby is gasping for air.. Babies can't fake it or over play something... if she was gasping that means she was in distress...

I hope the doctor gave you some answers... You can never and I mean never be to safe when it comes to newborn babies........They don't have any means to protect themself or really clear their airway...

Jennifer

JennifersHope

Jennifer

JennifersHope

Jennifer

JennifersHope

Jennifer