Bad smell and taste = infection?

K

kross10911

So for the past two months for sure I have noticed a bad taste and recently a bad smell to the majority of what I cough up.
Backround info on me: I culture PA and sometimes staff( but its been only been 1 time in the last 12 months). I am currently for the first time doing the alternating Cayston and TOBI.
I am 24 weeks pregnant so I am trying my hardest to stay off IV meds. My pfts are down slightly from what I should be. I should be in the 70's but have dropped to high 60's. But this could be attributed to my pregnancy. I did have hemo over a month ago and it cleared up quickly once I started tobi.
I guess what my question is, Im wondering if because there is a smell and taste to what Im getting up if it means infection. Or is it a possibility I am just getting the older more gross stuff up since Ive been doing the inhaled meds. My pfts last month were up 2% since doing the TOBI and I go back july 10th to see how the Cayston is working.
My theroy is that as long as my PFTs arent dropping from what they are now, then I shouldnt worry at the moment. Is itwrong to think like that?
Honestly I dont feel 100%, but because I dont want to expose my baby to IV TOBI (which my Dr insists I would have to doif I went to IV route) im avoiding the IV meds if at all possible. Im due Oct 20th so I still have a bit to try and maintain and keep the PA under control since there isnt a safe oral med to take right now.
Does anyone else have a smell and taste to their sputum when healthy?TIA for any insight or ideas.

SoyaSauce

Are you growing any Mycobacterium complex?

Ever since I stared growing that, I notice my sputum has really tasted gross and had a musty odor to it and become green to almost a greenish-brown, esp in the morning since it sitting there all night.

I haven't had PA, but I do know that famously stinks and smells like 'grapes' !!!

I personally think all CFers sputum taste bad and stinks like turds -whether mild or severe ,but we don't notice the smell , - when we do notice it def. indicates of over growth and maybe even different bacterias, -thanks to the way bacteria works, its byproducts of its own poop....!!!

K

kross10911

Would that be MAC? I honestly am just learning more about my CF personally. I didnt have a very informative upbringing and just within the past 1 to 2 years Ive finally taken an interest in learning and becoming compliant. from what ive heard the Dr say my main bug is PA, and my sputum has been green for as long as I can remember. Ive only ever taken Cipro, Levaquin and Keflex as far as oral antibiotics and my Iv meds have consisted of Tobi, Cephtaz (sp?) and another from that family that smells like cat pee lol and Meropenum ( I am now resistant to that).

I really wish I knew more about my bugs :/ Im just going to hope I havent picked up another bug to bring this change on.

reginadpruitt

I was on IV Tobramycin through most of both of my pregnancies and my boys are both great. My doc monitored me very closely, and my OB and pulmonologist were always in close contact. Renal function monitoring is imperative. It is my understanding that IV Tobramycin is not harmful to the baby. I would look it up on Rxlist to be sure though. My boys are 17 and 13 so I don't think it had any adverse effects on them. They are both healthy and have always been, but I understand your worry!! In regards to an infection.....if you aren't "feeling" that well, I wouldn't sit on it, especially b/c you're pregnant. I can tell you from experience that you can decline VERY rapidly while pregnant b/c respiratory function is already compromised.
Best of luck to you!! Prayers for you and your baby!
Regina--37y/o CF w/CFRD, Still's Dz. Hx of BC, MAC, MRSA--married with 2 biological sons

K

kross10911

Thanks Regina. IV Tobi is considered a Class D which means there are risks to the baby. Which is why Im nervous. I get tingling in my face fingers and toes when I take it, let alone what it could possibly do to my baby. BUT I know there are CF women who have taken it and had no issues. Its always going to be one of those benefits vs risks kind of thing :/

It is very encouraging knowing that you had a good outcome with both of your sons, which is exactly the type of info im looking for when I ask about TOBI and pregnancy.

K

kgfrompa

Bad smell and taste

I to have a bad taste in my junk I cough My question is besides Mouth wash and brushing of the teeth what is the best way to have a fresher breath!I hate the the smell in my lungs and have someone i really want to start Dating and would love to know what others are doing!Also what are your partners saying can they detect the smell!Thanks guys.

So for the past two months for sure I have noticed a bad taste and recently a bad smell to the majority of what I cough up.
Backround info on me: I culture PA and sometimes staff( but its been only been 1 time in the last 12 months). I am currently for the first time doing the alternating Cayston and TOBI.
I am 24 weeks pregnant so I am trying my hardest to stay off IV meds. My pfts are down slightly from what I should be. I should be in the 70's but have dropped to high 60's. But this could be attributed to my pregnancy. I did have hemo over a month ago and it cleared up quickly once I started tobi.
I guess what my question is, Im wondering if because there is a smell and taste to what Im getting up if it means infection. Or is it a possibility I am just getting the older more gross stuff up since Ive been doing the inhaled meds. My pfts last month were up 2% since doing the TOBI and I go back july 10th to see how the Cayston is working.
My theroy is that as long as my PFTs arent dropping from what they are now, then I shouldnt worry at the moment. Is itwrong to think like that?
Honestly I dont feel 100%, but because I dont want to expose my baby to IV TOBI (which my Dr insists I would have to doif I went to IV route) im avoiding the IV meds if at all possible. Im due Oct 20th so I still have a bit to try and maintain and keep the PA under control since there isnt a safe oral med to take right now.
Does anyone else have a smell and taste to their sputum when healthy?TIA for any insight or ideas.