belly distention

mistylavon

Hello everyone! I was wondering if any of you or your kiddos have trouble with belly distention? This was the first sign to us that something was wrong with her. She's been on her enzymes for about 2 wks. now and she's still having the distention, we thought it would subside by now, but maybe not.

mistylavon

Hello everyone! I was wondering if any of you or your kiddos have trouble with belly distention? This was the first sign to us that something was wrong with her. She's been on her enzymes for about 2 wks. now and she's still having the distention, we thought it would subside by now, but maybe not.

anonymous

I am looking for the same kind of help Caden is going to be 4 years old in a month and his belly has been fully distended since he began taking enzymes when he was 4 months old. The doctor's made a lot of cute little jokes about him not having any trouble gaining weight and everyone thinks it is a sign of health (fat). But, recently I have noticed he is getting taller and leaner and his belly is not getting any smaller. He won't wear pants around his waist or anything tight. I think it is very tender and I am very concerned. He has also started to have rectal prolapse, which was very scary at first.

Tina, mom to Caden-3 w/CF, Carter-5 carrier, Cole-2 no CF

anonymous

I am looking for the same kind of help Caden is going to be 4 years old in a month and his belly has been fully distended since he began taking enzymes when he was 4 months old. The doctor's made a lot of cute little jokes about him not having any trouble gaining weight and everyone thinks it is a sign of health (fat). But, recently I have noticed he is getting taller and leaner and his belly is not getting any smaller. He won't wear pants around his waist or anything tight. I think it is very tender and I am very concerned. He has also started to have rectal prolapse, which was very scary at first.

Tina, mom to Caden-3 w/CF, Carter-5 carrier, Cole-2 no CF

eli

I think having a distended tummy is common in CF. Every child i have seen with CF has a distended tummy. My daughters has had one since birth and her doc's said its ok, its normal.
So i wouldn't be too worried, unless you have noticed it become much more distended then she may have a bowel blockage.
If you are concerned, speak to her doc's and see what they have to say.

Hope this helps
Eli

eli

I think having a distended tummy is common in CF. Every child i have seen with CF has a distended tummy. My daughters has had one since birth and her doc's said its ok, its normal.
So i wouldn't be too worried, unless you have noticed it become much more distended then she may have a bowel blockage.
If you are concerned, speak to her doc's and see what they have to say.

Hope this helps
Eli

anonymous

DS has a little buddha belly. His doctor commented that some patients lose it eventually, others do not. My noncfer sister had skinny little arms and legs and big belly until she was about 5-6. Liza

anonymous

DS has a little buddha belly. His doctor commented that some patients lose it eventually, others do not. My noncfer sister had skinny little arms and legs and big belly until she was about 5-6. Liza

anonymous

Hi,

Just an adult cf'ers perspective. I've had a distended belly my whole life. It's the bane of my existence! I would probably be a size 2 if I didn't have it. I'm small everywhere else but there. Bathing suits are a pain.

I'm thinking of switching enzymes, b/c it's been worse lately.

Anyway-prepare your child. They may have to deal with the "buddha belly" their whole life. Most CFers do.

Christian

anonymous

Hi,

Just an adult cf'ers perspective. I've had a distended belly my whole life. It's the bane of my existence! I would probably be a size 2 if I didn't have it. I'm small everywhere else but there. Bathing suits are a pain.

I'm thinking of switching enzymes, b/c it's been worse lately.

Anyway-prepare your child. They may have to deal with the "buddha belly" their whole life. Most CFers do.

Christian

Bill

My 46 year old son (w/CF) has had belly distention problems all his adult life. Neither he, my wife or me have ever come up with any solution. His doctor considers him a little (her word) over weight, but considering the possibility of extended hospitalization, she has not pressed him to try to lose any weight. It almost seems that whatever he eats, goes straight to his belly. He has been off and on one diet or another for years. Nothing helps or at least not for very long. All I can say is good luck to all of you. You with smaller children, I would suggest starting something right now! Bill

Bill

My 46 year old son (w/CF) has had belly distention problems all his adult life. Neither he, my wife or me have ever come up with any solution. His doctor considers him a little (her word) over weight, but considering the possibility of extended hospitalization, she has not pressed him to try to lose any weight. It almost seems that whatever he eats, goes straight to his belly. He has been off and on one diet or another for years. Nothing helps or at least not for very long. All I can say is good luck to all of you. You with smaller children, I would suggest starting something right now! Bill

mistylavon

Thanks for the input. I feel better now that I know it's somewhat normal. It's always flatter in the mornings and gets bigger as she eats through the day.

mistylavon

Thanks for the input. I feel better now that I know it's somewhat normal. It's always flatter in the mornings and gets bigger as she eats through the day.