Best birth control?

jamoncita

i would say condoms, right off the bat. however i've also tried the ring, and i found it especially convenient. i dunno what kind of insurance coverage you've got, so look into that. definitely do your research and talk with your doctors so you can get an educated opinion, particularly regarding drug interactions. be smart and be safe!

jamoncita

i would say condoms, right off the bat. however i've also tried the ring, and i found it especially convenient. i dunno what kind of insurance coverage you've got, so look into that. definitely do your research and talk with your doctors so you can get an educated opinion, particularly regarding drug interactions. be smart and be safe!

anien2

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>SIcklyhatED</b></i> If you're not ready to have a kid, you're not ready to have sex, plain and simple. (coming from an almost 19-year-old). We had a a guest baby in class the other day for observation--cutest thing ever, but the child of young, irresponsible parents who had essentially made this child a Shaken Baby. Brain damage, cerebral palsy, the whole 9 yards. I'll get off my soap box now.</end quote>

In that case if you are unemployed and you cant afford a baby you are not ready to have sex???? Come on!! sex is a lot more than a way to get pregnant!!!

By the way, one advice for faerush, if it is the first time for both you and your boyfriend dont expect too much from the experience. First time usually is a disaster, just like any other activity that needs a little practice to be done right. Just remember the first time you drove a car.

anien2

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>SIcklyhatED</b></i> If you're not ready to have a kid, you're not ready to have sex, plain and simple. (coming from an almost 19-year-old). We had a a guest baby in class the other day for observation--cutest thing ever, but the child of young, irresponsible parents who had essentially made this child a Shaken Baby. Brain damage, cerebral palsy, the whole 9 yards. I'll get off my soap box now.</end quote>

In that case if you are unemployed and you cant afford a baby you are not ready to have sex???? Come on!! sex is a lot more than a way to get pregnant!!!

By the way, one advice for faerush, if it is the first time for both you and your boyfriend dont expect too much from the experience. First time usually is a disaster, just like any other activity that needs a little practice to be done right. Just remember the first time you drove a car.

M

MCGrad2006

I spoke with my clinic before I went on birth control and they did not recommend the pill at all. I started with the patch. You attach it to your skin (arm, belly, whatever) for a week, then change it for another week and another. So you essentially wear it three weeks in a row, then get your period. That worked fine for me, but some weeks it did start to peel off and you sometimes have to be careful what you do. Then I went to the Nuvaring. I love the nuvaring. You place it for three full weeks and then take it out for a week.

The reason my doctors advised me this way is because birth control pills go through your digestive system and are fat soluble so may not be absorbed by CFers the way they should be and could therefore be ineffective. Then of course there is the fact that we are on abx all the time, which makes them even less effective. The patch or the ring are not absorbed that way, so you don't have to worry so much.

M

MCGrad2006

I spoke with my clinic before I went on birth control and they did not recommend the pill at all. I started with the patch. You attach it to your skin (arm, belly, whatever) for a week, then change it for another week and another. So you essentially wear it three weeks in a row, then get your period. That worked fine for me, but some weeks it did start to peel off and you sometimes have to be careful what you do. Then I went to the Nuvaring. I love the nuvaring. You place it for three full weeks and then take it out for a week.

The reason my doctors advised me this way is because birth control pills go through your digestive system and are fat soluble so may not be absorbed by CFers the way they should be and could therefore be ineffective. Then of course there is the fact that we are on abx all the time, which makes them even less effective. The patch or the ring are not absorbed that way, so you don't have to worry so much.

saveferris2009

IUD's are an awesome option. They are inserted and can remain in the body for 5+ years - so one less pill/patch/ring to remember.

I took ativan and tylenol #3 to help with my IUD insertion. I'm kind of a weenie (I need ativan for PICC line insertion) and it was a pretty smooth process.

IUDs are also quite a bit more effective than other methods of birth control.

Scroll down to the table that shows failure rate:

http://www.womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/birth-control-methods.cfm

saveferris2009

IUD's are an awesome option. They are inserted and can remain in the body for 5+ years - so one less pill/patch/ring to remember.

I took ativan and tylenol #3 to help with my IUD insertion. I'm kind of a weenie (I need ativan for PICC line insertion) and it was a pretty smooth process.

IUDs are also quite a bit more effective than other methods of birth control.

Scroll down to the table that shows failure rate:

http://www.womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/birth-control-methods.cfm

mamerth

Due to my diabetes and antibiotic use I am unable to do oral birth control. My sugars were out of control and the antibiotics killed the effectiveness of the PIll. They offered me a few other options but I have clotting issues and I really don't want a blood clot in my lung or leg. The patch was out as I am allergic to most things that come into contact with my skin.

I agree with a few previous posters. Talk it over with your CF docs and your OB-Gyn!!! Make sure they are both on the same page. Since you are so young... please don't make a rush decision. Also, don't put your health in jeopardy.

mamerth

Due to my diabetes and antibiotic use I am unable to do oral birth control. My sugars were out of control and the antibiotics killed the effectiveness of the PIll. They offered me a few other options but I have clotting issues and I really don't want a blood clot in my lung or leg. The patch was out as I am allergic to most things that come into contact with my skin.

I agree with a few previous posters. Talk it over with your CF docs and your OB-Gyn!!! Make sure they are both on the same page. Since you are so young... please don't make a rush decision. Also, don't put your health in jeopardy.

Tisha

I've done a lot of research on the topic and asked several health professionals and read a book geared to people with CF. Condoms is obviously the best in order not to catch any additional infections, herpes, etc (better not to add any more bugs to your existing collection!) Regular pills cannot be used when having a port.Implanon isoverall a quite good option, but I'd say for when your older...(works during 3 years so it's cheaper than other options)
But if you're not in a very stable relationship, condoms are the best! (do remember to use lube, though, since females with CF tend to be rather dry down below)

Tisha

I've done a lot of research on the topic and asked several health professionals and read a book geared to people with CF. Condoms is obviously the best in order not to catch any additional infections, herpes, etc (better not to add any more bugs to your existing collection!) Regular pills cannot be used when having a port.Implanon isoverall a quite good option, but I'd say for when your older...(works during 3 years so it's cheaper than other options)
But if you're not in a very stable relationship, condoms are the best! (do remember to use lube, though, since females with CF tend to be rather dry down below)

athanasia

I agree with some of the posts listed above. I used the NuvaRing for years and loved it. I ALSO used condoms OR spermicide inserts (since I am engaged and KNOW we are monogamous). There was always a second birth control option used to make sure that I was covered. I have been told by my docs and my gyno that the implants such as Marana are not good because they are for people that have had children already (also, since I have had a transplant and am immune compromised, it increases the risk of infection because of it staying in the body for years at a time). Pills do come with the problems listed above, problems absorbing them and becoming less effective while on antibiotics.

As others have said, it is important that you are emotionally ready for this change as sex changes things in a relationship. I am not judging your choice either way, just want to pass on some of the amazing advice I received when I was your age. Do not allow yourself to be pressured in either direction. Also, as mentioned, if you are not in a stable, healthy relationship, sex will not make it better. Sex should not be used to fix problems (because it won't). But make sure you talk to your docs first and have been on birth control long enough for it to take effect first before you make that decision.

Best of luck to you!

athanasia

I agree with some of the posts listed above. I used the NuvaRing for years and loved it. I ALSO used condoms OR spermicide inserts (since I am engaged and KNOW we are monogamous). There was always a second birth control option used to make sure that I was covered. I have been told by my docs and my gyno that the implants such as Marana are not good because they are for people that have had children already (also, since I have had a transplant and am immune compromised, it increases the risk of infection because of it staying in the body for years at a time). Pills do come with the problems listed above, problems absorbing them and becoming less effective while on antibiotics.

As others have said, it is important that you are emotionally ready for this change as sex changes things in a relationship. I am not judging your choice either way, just want to pass on some of the amazing advice I received when I was your age. Do not allow yourself to be pressured in either direction. Also, as mentioned, if you are not in a stable, healthy relationship, sex will not make it better. Sex should not be used to fix problems (because it won't). But make sure you talk to your docs first and have been on birth control long enough for it to take effect first before you make that decision.

Best of luck to you!

Redneck2009

dont listen to these hippocrits talking about "oh abstinence" if your going to have sex at least your being safe about it... live life. personally my gf is on bc and i use condoms, yes being a guy i have almost a guaranteed chance i am fertile, but i never went to the doctor to check FOR SURE so i STILL use a condom and shes on bc. however i dont know much about all the bc's out there anymore so id talk to both your CF doctor and an OBGYN that KNOWS about CF.

Redneck2009

dont listen to these hippocrits talking about "oh abstinence" if your going to have sex at least your being safe about it... live life. personally my gf is on bc and i use condoms, yes being a guy i have almost a guaranteed chance i am fertile, but i never went to the doctor to check FOR SURE so i STILL use a condom and shes on bc. however i dont know much about all the bc's out there anymore so id talk to both your CF doctor and an OBGYN that KNOWS about CF.

semnle34

I have tried all kinds and have had the best luck with the Depo shot. Its once every three months. They inject it into the arm. The only worry is that it can lead to bone deterioration so an extra calcium supplement is a good idea.

semnle34

I have tried all kinds and have had the best luck with the Depo shot. Its once every three months. They inject it into the arm. The only worry is that it can lead to bone deterioration so an extra calcium supplement is a good idea.

justdance

A couple of things regarding some of these comments that I have learned when asking the questions you are asking-
-the patch may not be as effective in cf due to increased salt on the skin
- they really aren't sure whether the pill is affected by malabsorption- the problem in cf is more due to lack of digestive enzymes rather than an actual problem with compounds passing through gut membrane
- someone here said they are taking seasonique and only get 4 periods a year and have felt healthier while on it. This may actually have scientific backing. Papers have been published in the last year on the effect of the "oestrogen spike", which occurs in the three days around ovulation. This surge in the hormone has an anti-inflammatory effect which, while usually a good thing, can go too far and reduce the immune response in the lungs too much allowing pathogens, especially mucoid PA, to proliferate. In addition the oestrogen spike reduces airway surface liquid level. That is two hard hitters for around 3-4 days each month in which mucoid PA is allowed have a field day. The accumulative effect suggests a reason as to why female cfers do worse from puberty onwards compared to males. A possible treatment to come from this will be prescribing the pill to females to avoid the monthly oestrogen spike (because it is only the heightened levels that are dangerous- not the regular baseline oestrogen)
- I use nuvaring and find it great. I tried a pill and felt severe emotional problems- i went nuts!, felt i was in PERMANENT pms so stopped it and went back to the ring, its a dream
I might just add i am in a long term relationship- I waited for the right guy and have no regrets whatsoever. This is not a religious site so we might curb the moral lectures a little?
Best of luck finding the bc that suits, I hope all goes well! x

justdance

A couple of things regarding some of these comments that I have learned when asking the questions you are asking-
-the patch may not be as effective in cf due to increased salt on the skin
- they really aren't sure whether the pill is affected by malabsorption- the problem in cf is more due to lack of digestive enzymes rather than an actual problem with compounds passing through gut membrane
- someone here said they are taking seasonique and only get 4 periods a year and have felt healthier while on it. This may actually have scientific backing. Papers have been published in the last year on the effect of the "oestrogen spike", which occurs in the three days around ovulation. This surge in the hormone has an anti-inflammatory effect which, while usually a good thing, can go too far and reduce the immune response in the lungs too much allowing pathogens, especially mucoid PA, to proliferate. In addition the oestrogen spike reduces airway surface liquid level. That is two hard hitters for around 3-4 days each month in which mucoid PA is allowed have a field day. The accumulative effect suggests a reason as to why female cfers do worse from puberty onwards compared to males. A possible treatment to come from this will be prescribing the pill to females to avoid the monthly oestrogen spike (because it is only the heightened levels that are dangerous- not the regular baseline oestrogen)
- I use nuvaring and find it great. I tried a pill and felt severe emotional problems- i went nuts!, felt i was in PERMANENT pms so stopped it and went back to the ring, its a dream
I might just add i am in a long term relationship- I waited for the right guy and have no regrets whatsoever. This is not a religious site so we might curb the moral lectures a little?
Best of luck finding the bc that suits, I hope all goes well! x