bloating and gas

thisisme

Hi all. so the last 2 or 3 weeks trouble with bloating and gas. I figured I was backed up with stool so contacted the dr and came in for an xray and sure enough he said I was. He said to do golytely for a day so I did and definitely cleaned every out to the point only liquid was coming out. However I'm still bloated up, feels like lots of gas in stomach and on left side under bottom part of ribs. Stomach makes some gasy sounds once in awhile. Any ideas how to get rid of the bloating still or maybe will it just take a few days after the golytely cleared all stool out to get the system back to normal?

MichaelL

I've been dealing with these types of issues the last few years. Bloating and gas could be caused for a number of reasons.

You may need more golightly. How many litres (or gallons if you're in the US) did you do? I usually do 8 to 10 litres (2 to 3 gallons) in a day. It's also important you drink it as quickly as possible. My best time is to drink 8 litres in 4 hours. I've had the liquid come out clear, but an x-ray has shown I still need to do more.

Your problem could also be caused by small intestinal bacterial overgrowth. This also seems to be a problem for me. I have to take yet another antibiotic to treat this.

My doctor has also increased my Losec (generic Omeprazole) to help with the gas.

Hopefully, your clinic has a GI doctor that you can see. They may offer other suggestions.

thisisme

Thanks for the info, I just did a gallon in around 3 hours. So could be possible that I just need to do another dose. I go see my dr Wednesday so maybe I'll see if an xray shows more stool in there still.
I'm curious if the xray shows you still have in there, does more golightly seems to always do the trick? do you usually get pretty instant satisfaction from the bloating once it works?

W

windex125

This has been my problem for a few years now abt 5yrs ago was diagnosed with gastroparsis the food not moving out of the stomach to the small intestine was put on Reglan for over a year that pain you described is exactly where my pain was and still is occasionally. Weaned myself off the Reglan(very serious side effects) as everything was working rather well also at that time using Miralax as well but not everyday. Now of course hvg problem with the pancrestis which I've always been PS so now taking enzymes as well, but still hvg the lack of BM's tried Milk of Magnesium and that seemed to work pretty well using it every other day. I just can't drink those gallon drinks I start to vomit it's just to much. I also use Duclax occasionally which gives me a great clean out, and drink prune juice still with all this work I still get the bloating and backups. I guess it's something we will always have to work at Pat-59/CF

MichaelL

thisisme -- with regards to your question above, the golightly has relieved my bloating pretty much right after using it. If it doesn't, it either means that I need to do another round to get things cleaned out or the bloating was being caused by something else. I've never had to switch to anything stronger than golightly to clean out my system. I have heard of people having to go into the hospital and being fed many gallons through a feeding tube in order to get unblocked. There are other possible explanations for the bloating. It sounds like you went to the doctor yesterday, so hopefully she or he had some suggestions on next steps.

thisisme

I did visit the dr last week, xray showed still backed up stool, a tad better but still there. they recommended another round of golytely so I did that. And now they said to take a senna tablet and miralax daily. I would say it is slightly better but still have the left discomfort which feels more like gas than anything and bloating. bloating seems worse after eating so that seems to tell me I'm a bit backed up still. Dr said it would likely just take some time to get things moving back to normal so I've just accepted that it will take a little time to get the digestion back in order. Hoping the daily miralax and senna will slowly get things going. I'm having bowel movements, I guess just not enough. I seemed to deal with this a couple years back and all of a sudden it got better so I'm not sure there is a rhyme or reason to it. Dr didn't seem too worried about it though so I'm trying to get it out of my mind a bit also, hoping that might help as well. But I do feel like a have a lot of gas lately so I'm thinking that is part of the problem or maybe that's just caused by the stool being backed up.

MichaelL

My bowel movements never stop entirely. They just are sometimes not enough to keep things cleared out. I take Miralax twice a day every day as well as 45 ml of mineral oil. This usually keeps things moving, although I recently had to do a couple rounds of GoLytely. Your doctor probably didn't seem worried because this is fairly common in people with CF.

Hopefully the Miralax will help get you cleared out and not feeling as bloated.

RobinB29

I once drank a gallon of golightly and nothing happened. Anyone else ever wonder what sick SOB named it that anyway? For me its usually more like go-violently....