Boyfriend in the hospital

rwatterson

My boyfriend was just admitted to the hospital today for the first time since we've been dating. He has been sick since September without really feeling much better, even though during that time he's had 3 PICC lines and sinus surgery. Him being sick lately has been really hard on our relationship since before this bout he hadn't had IVs for 9 years. Yesterday he was complaining of his heart racing and today didn't get better and he just "didn't feel right". He was recently diagnosed (last week) with bronchiectasis and will now be in the hospital for at least a week. They will be doing chest pt on him - he usually just does an acappella - and possibly a bronchoscopy.

I guess I'm just hoping someone can offer support/experience on a similar situation. Also, will the bronchoscopy be painful and more importantly will it help?

rwatterson

My boyfriend was just admitted to the hospital today for the first time since we've been dating. He has been sick since September without really feeling much better, even though during that time he's had 3 PICC lines and sinus surgery. Him being sick lately has been really hard on our relationship since before this bout he hadn't had IVs for 9 years. Yesterday he was complaining of his heart racing and today didn't get better and he just "didn't feel right". He was recently diagnosed (last week) with bronchiectasis and will now be in the hospital for at least a week. They will be doing chest pt on him - he usually just does an acappella - and possibly a bronchoscopy.

I guess I'm just hoping someone can offer support/experience on a similar situation. Also, will the bronchoscopy be painful and more importantly will it help?

rwatterson

<br />
<br />I guess I'm just hoping someone can offer support/experience on a similar situation. Also, will the bronchoscopy be painful and more importantly will it help?

LouLou

Hi Rachel, The bronchoscopy is likely being performed because they aren't very happy with the results of the last 3 PICC line IV antibiotic treatment. 3 rounds in 7 months is a lot. The bronch will give them samples and insight into what is really growing down there. Most of us adults are able to produce a good sample in a cup by coughing and spitting that is analyzed every 3 months to see what is growing. If he is not able to produce a sample working on this at home would be helpful. Look into huff coughing. He will likely be given a light sedation during the bronch (thats actually quite nice!) and it will not be painful. While in there they will likely lavage and suction which may stir things up a bit for a few days. His throat may be irritated a bit from the intubation but should hurt just may be hoarse.

I'm not sure why him not being on IVs for 9 yrs and then being on them is "difficult on your relationship" but I would guess it has something to do with you wishing he was more careful and compliant with his care than he is? Or perhaps you thought he was invinceable and was beating cf. A seperate thread reaching out to other spouses of cfers would be a good idea regarding your relationship woos.

Bronchiactisis is a normal part of cf. It's thickening of the airways. It's not something that happened overnight. Had he read his prior lung xray reports...it may have been saying bronchiactisis for years. If in fact he didn't have it until he was 25 he should consider himself lucky :) and must have a pretty mild case.

How have his lung function numbers been? FVC and FEV1 and FEF25-75 are the numbers to watch. I think looking at these and following them will give you a deeper understanding of this disease. Also, have you been going to his appts? He should be invitiing you to attend as cf is becoming an increasingly bigger part of your relationship. You deserve to know and be involved. Not that you need to be his nag but two people on a project is always better than one.

Chest pt in the hospital is the #1 reason some people prefer to be hospitalized. He should enjoy it and really work it. If he finds a RT that is good or better than the others he should try to schedule him/her to be his regular RT.

If he has good insurance, perhaps you could help him in getting a Vest for pt at home. The acapella is great but the Vest is considered superior and preferred by most. Hil-rom and other companies will let him try it out if you think that will help him commit to using it. It's so widely used that the $16K machine is covered by insurance because it keeps people out of the hospital which is much more expensive. This info is assuming you live in the US. Outside the US the Vest is difficult to obtain but not impossible.

Hope this helps. Your very sweet to care and get on here. Advocating for him, he is likely to live a higher quality longer life.

LouLou

Hi Rachel, The bronchoscopy is likely being performed because they aren't very happy with the results of the last 3 PICC line IV antibiotic treatment. 3 rounds in 7 months is a lot. The bronch will give them samples and insight into what is really growing down there. Most of us adults are able to produce a good sample in a cup by coughing and spitting that is analyzed every 3 months to see what is growing. If he is not able to produce a sample working on this at home would be helpful. Look into huff coughing. He will likely be given a light sedation during the bronch (thats actually quite nice!) and it will not be painful. While in there they will likely lavage and suction which may stir things up a bit for a few days. His throat may be irritated a bit from the intubation but should hurt just may be hoarse.

I'm not sure why him not being on IVs for 9 yrs and then being on them is "difficult on your relationship" but I would guess it has something to do with you wishing he was more careful and compliant with his care than he is? Or perhaps you thought he was invinceable and was beating cf. A seperate thread reaching out to other spouses of cfers would be a good idea regarding your relationship woos.

Bronchiactisis is a normal part of cf. It's thickening of the airways. It's not something that happened overnight. Had he read his prior lung xray reports...it may have been saying bronchiactisis for years. If in fact he didn't have it until he was 25 he should consider himself lucky :) and must have a pretty mild case.

How have his lung function numbers been? FVC and FEV1 and FEF25-75 are the numbers to watch. I think looking at these and following them will give you a deeper understanding of this disease. Also, have you been going to his appts? He should be invitiing you to attend as cf is becoming an increasingly bigger part of your relationship. You deserve to know and be involved. Not that you need to be his nag but two people on a project is always better than one.

Chest pt in the hospital is the #1 reason some people prefer to be hospitalized. He should enjoy it and really work it. If he finds a RT that is good or better than the others he should try to schedule him/her to be his regular RT.

If he has good insurance, perhaps you could help him in getting a Vest for pt at home. The acapella is great but the Vest is considered superior and preferred by most. Hil-rom and other companies will let him try it out if you think that will help him commit to using it. It's so widely used that the $16K machine is covered by insurance because it keeps people out of the hospital which is much more expensive. This info is assuming you live in the US. Outside the US the Vest is difficult to obtain but not impossible.

Hope this helps. Your very sweet to care and get on here. Advocating for him, he is likely to live a higher quality longer life.

LouLou

<br />
<br />I'm not sure why him not being on IVs for 9 yrs and then being on them is "difficult on your relationship" but I would guess it has something to do with you wishing he was more careful and compliant with his care than he is? Or perhaps you thought he was invinceable and was beating cf. A seperate thread reaching out to other spouses of cfers would be a good idea regarding your relationship woos.
<br />
<br />Bronchiactisis is a normal part of cf. It's thickening of the airways. It's not something that happened overnight. Had he read his prior lung xray reports...it may have been saying bronchiactisis for years. If in fact he didn't have it until he was 25 he should consider himself lucky :) and must have a pretty mild case.
<br />
<br />How have his lung function numbers been? FVC and FEV1 and FEF25-75 are the numbers to watch. I think looking at these and following them will give you a deeper understanding of this disease. Also, have you been going to his appts? He should be invitiing you to attend as cf is becoming an increasingly bigger part of your relationship. You deserve to know and be involved. Not that you need to be his nag but two people on a project is always better than one.
<br />
<br />Chest pt in the hospital is the #1 reason some people prefer to be hospitalized. He should enjoy it and really work it. If he finds a RT that is good or better than the others he should try to schedule him/her to be his regular RT.
<br />
<br />If he has good insurance, perhaps you could help him in getting a Vest for pt at home. The acapella is great but the Vest is considered superior and preferred by most. Hil-rom and other companies will let him try it out if you think that will help him commit to using it. It's so widely used that the $16K machine is covered by insurance because it keeps people out of the hospital which is much more expensive. This info is assuming you live in the US. Outside the US the Vest is difficult to obtain but not impossible.
<br />
<br />Hope this helps. Your very sweet to care and get on here. Advocating for him, he is likely to live a higher quality longer life.

rwatterson

Lauren, thanks for the response.

Mark does have a vest but practically refuses to use it, he believes that the acappella/flutters work just as well. He also pretty much refuses to let me perform chest pt (mostly due to pride I think). His FEV1 has ranged from about 53%-65% during this span of 7 months. He did not pay much attention the them before, so I don't really have any idea of where he was before, but I think above that 65%. I do go to his appointments with him fairly regularly.

He is able to produce sputum samples on his own, but I think you are right and the doctors are not happy with his past IVs. Also, the physician who diagnosed him with the bronciectasis said he has small pockets of infections. Will bronchoscopy be able to clear many of these out, that he clearly cannot get up on his own?

rwatterson

Mark does have a vest but practically refuses to use it, he believes that the acappella/flutters work just as well. He also pretty much refuses to let me perform chest pt (mostly due to pride I think). His FEV1 has ranged from about 53%-65% during this span of 7 months. He did not pay much attention the them before, so I don't really have any idea of where he was before, but I think above that 65%. I do go to his appointments with him fairly regularly.

He is able to produce sputum samples on his own, but I think you are right and the doctors are not happy with his past IVs. Also, the physician who diagnosed him with the bronciectasis said he has small pockets of infections. Will bronchoscopy be able to clear many of these out, that he clearly cannot get up on his own?

rwatterson

<br />
<br />Mark does have a vest but practically refuses to use it, he believes that the acappella/flutters work just as well. He also pretty much refuses to let me perform chest pt (mostly due to pride I think). His FEV1 has ranged from about 53%-65% during this span of 7 months. He did not pay much attention the them before, so I don't really have any idea of where he was before, but I think above that 65%. I do go to his appointments with him fairly regularly.
<br />
<br />He is able to produce sputum samples on his own, but I think you are right and the doctors are not happy with his past IVs. Also, the physician who diagnosed him with the bronciectasis said he has small pockets of infections. Will bronchoscopy be able to clear many of these out, that he clearly cannot get up on his own?