Breathing pain

Mockingbird

Whenever i exercise anymore, it starts to hurt when i breathe. My doctor told me it's simply just some asthma-like symptoms and gave me a Albuterol inhaler which seemed to work. My question is, is there anything I could be doing to strengthen my lungs up... or something? Still not entirely sure exactly what is making me hurt... imean, i know it's an asthma-like symptom, but I never got around to asking my doctor what that meant exactly. =-) So anyway, anything I could be doing (or, i guess more importantly not be doing) would help. Thanks. =-)Jarod 22 w/cf

Taylor

I will be glad to answer your question when I'm finished with patient care for the day.Thanks for your posting.Dr. Lee

cfgirl38

I would be interested in hearing your comments on this as well. I have been trying to stregthen my lungs by walking on treadmill. But I don't feel I'm doing a good enough job as I get tired and out of breath start coughing, then I have to slow down. Repeat... Like a visous cycle. Am I doing myself any good by slowing down the heart rate then going faster just to slow back down? I really need to strengthen my lungs. I walk for 2 miles usually. Becky

Taylor

Jarod,Thank you for visiting cysticfibrosis.com and posting your question!What type of exercises have you been participating in? Does the pain occur during the physical activity or after? These are some of the questions you should ask yourself in order to form a better picture of what may be happening.The intensity of your bouts of exercise may be too high or the duration may be too long. You don't want to be causing an inflammatory response within your pulmonary system every time you exercise, which is counterproductive to where you want to be. A regular exercise regimen is intended to maintain/increase total and fat free mass. It also assists in decreasing the viscocity of the mucus for preparation for chest PT. You may also want to try warming-up before you dive into a relatively intense physical activity. If you haven't done so already, it may be in your best interest to incorporate a regular aerobic exercise program to improve your cardio-pulmonary system function. Resistance training (anaerobic exercise) will help improve muscle mass. Consistency and being disciplined to stay within your tolerance should help your symptoms.If this problem persists or intensifies, please seek medical consultation.Best Regards,

Mockingbird

It can start just simply by walking a little bit. and it usually happens during the activity. If I do any intense exercises (Which I rarely do at all anymore =-), though, then it is almost guaranteed. I guess I could start doing light aerobic stuff and just be consistent about it. Something else I just thought of, would Yoga help? A friend told me it would, and I tried it for a while, but I got sidetracked. I'm not talking about the put-your-leg-behind-your-head-and-touch-your-nose-with-it type of yoga, just the beginners yoga that has a lot of strectching and standing and concentrating and such. I'd probably be much more able to do something like that instead of aerobics, since my energy level isn't always wanting to cooperate. =-)Jarod22 w/cf

shamrock

i've heard that yoga is good for you because all the streching you do opens out and streches all the tiny muscles and things in your lungs

anonymous

Hi,I have been doing yoga for 6 years now ( not the leg behind your head/nose to toe kind either) and think it really does help me. Even though it is not 'aerobic', with all the deep breathing and then the relaxation at the end, I usually cough up a lot of junk after it is over. Oh, and on top of that I am more flexible, relaxed and can focus well! It makes me feel great. I do think it is important to find the right teacher and always important to respect your own body and know your limits. Don't try to get into a weird position just because everyone else is! Good luck with it if you decide to try.

Mockingbird

<blockquote>Quote<br><hr><i>Originally posted by: <b>Anonymous</b></i>Hi, Don't try to get into a weird position just because everyone else is! Good luck with it if you decide to try.<hr></blockquote>Great. Now you tell me. I've been stuck like this for a week.

anonymous

Hi Jarod, someone told me before that at times we have a sharp pain in our chest because of mucus plugs. I dont know if it's true or not but seems logical. I'll try to look more on it. I think I have it in my email. I forgot to sign in. Becky

cfgirl38

I can't find where I read that. Maybe it was my Cf book. I'll keep checking but I believe it's anytime. Because it's trying to move. That's why its so extremely important to do CPT. I do flutter valve and I dislike it a whole lot. But it works so I do it. HeeHee. But anyway I have alot less sharp pain. I usually get pain in my chest when I catching cold now. I'll get back. I know I seen it somewhere...