brief, yet smart CF explanation?

Mockingbird

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I'm currently writing something and I have a short description of CF in it.

-------------------
Cystic fibrosis is a genetic defect which affects the use of salt within the body. We all know the body needs water to stay hydrated and keep us alive. To be more specific, the body needs both salt and water. In the lining cells of many organs of the human body, there is something called a transmembrane conductance regulator. This "CFTR" as it is called uses sodium and chloride ions to regulate the flow of water in and out of these organs. The sodium ions are responsible for leading the water into the lining cells, while the chloride ions are responsible for leading the water into the organs. With cystic fibrosis, however, the CFTR is defective, and the chloride ions are unable to pass through the lining cells and into the organ, which means water is also prevented from passing through.

This tiny malfunction is responsible for many catastrophic problems. The dehydrated mucus in the lungs becomes thick and sticky, blocking airways and becoming a veritable playground for fungal and bacterial infection which, in turn, incites the lungs to create even more mucus. Meanwhile, the digestive system is incapable of delivering digestive enzymes to the small intestine, and vital nutrients are flushed down the toilet instead of being absorbed into the body. These are the two most prevalent symptoms of cystic fibrosis. Others can include diabetes, acid
reflux, sinusitis, osteoporosis, arthritis, or cirrhosis of the liver.
---------------------------

I have not really checked all the information yet to see if it is 100% accurate, but as far as I know this is basically how CF works.

Dreamer

This dumbs it down so much that it's not even CF anymore, but I typically tell people it's like having really bad asthma. Sometimes I throw in a line about mucus being in the lungs.

Dreamer

This dumbs it down so much that it's not even CF anymore, but I typically tell people it's like having really bad asthma. Sometimes I throw in a line about mucus being in the lungs.

Dreamer

babycakes

I basically tell people that... Salt isn't utilized properly in the body resulting in thicker mucous secretions. This in turn causes build up in certain areas of the body. Not sure if it makes much sense to those who ask but it seems to work?

babycakes

I basically tell people that... Salt isn't utilized properly in the body resulting in thicker mucous secretions. This in turn causes build up in certain areas of the body. Not sure if it makes much sense to those who ask but it seems to work?

babycakes

Rokiss12

i tell people its: genetic, not contagious, lungs and digestion, mucus, infections. haha for some keywords
and i mention bad asthma too

but i once asked a similar question on here, and somebody told me to tell people its like 'breathing threw a straw' for normal people. i thought that was a really good comparison!

good luck on your search :p

Rokiss12

i tell people its: genetic, not contagious, lungs and digestion, mucus, infections. haha for some keywords

but i once asked a similar question on here, and somebody told me to tell people its like 'breathing threw a straw' for normal people. i thought that was a really good comparison!

Rokiss12

M

MCGrad2006

I usually just say that my body produces an etra thick and sticky mucus that causes asthma like symptoms in the lungs and also digestive issues. I also throw in the not contagious and that I will have it forever. Sometimes I say its progressive and that it will get worse, but I dont like to harp on that. I like the breathing through a straw thing, that kinda sums it up.

M

MCGrad2006

I usually just say that my body produces an etra thick and sticky mucus that causes asthma like symptoms in the lungs and also digestive issues. I also throw in the not contagious and that I will have it forever. Sometimes I say its progressive and that it will get worse, but I dont like to harp on that. I like the breathing through a straw thing, that kinda sums it up.

M

MCGrad2006

karenanne99

breathing threw a star..thats exactly how an elementry school teacher explained it to my class one time..cannot remember WHY she was teaching us that but t was pretty accurate to help the other kids understand it somewhat!!...my friend suggested that i didnt need a straw though..haha i think her shin is still bruised from my mighty kick!!!