Bronchiectasis

KrazyKat

Yanno i kind of feel that constant xrays and scans are probably more problematic than they are worth. We ALL end up with lung damage, it's invetible. It is largely permananet lung damage too, so what is the point in exposing ourselves to regular doses of radiation just so the docs can say say 'ooh look, you have CF, we can tell from the changes in your lungs'. It makes you worry more and achieves precisely nothing. My xrays never show active pneumonia even when i'm having an exacerbation so i don't let them do them anymore. Once a year to make sure i don't have a massive tumour growing, and that's their lot. Sometimes, ignorance is bliss.

KrazyKat

Yanno i kind of feel that constant xrays and scans are probably more problematic than they are worth. We ALL end up with lung damage, it's invetible. It is largely permananet lung damage too, so what is the point in exposing ourselves to regular doses of radiation just so the docs can say say 'ooh look, you have CF, we can tell from the changes in your lungs'. It makes you worry more and achieves precisely nothing. My xrays never show active pneumonia even when i'm having an exacerbation so i don't let them do them anymore. Once a year to make sure i don't have a massive tumour growing, and that's their lot. Sometimes, ignorance is bliss.

KrazyKat

KrazyKat

KrazyKat

T

tammykrumrey

CT scans are more sensitive, but there are the risks of the higher doses of radiation than X-ray. That is why my girls CF dr. doesn't do them all the time.
Hannah has never had one, and she is 9 years old.
Kayla has had one, I beleive b/c her x-rays showed that there was some cloudiness in the upper right lobe that was present b/f and after IVs, so her Dr. wanted to have a bit more detail as to what was going on. It is her baseline CT scan and he has never suggested doing another one.

T

tammykrumrey

CT scans are more sensitive, but there are the risks of the higher doses of radiation than X-ray. That is why my girls CF dr. doesn't do them all the time.
Kayla has had one, I beleive b/c her x-rays showed that there was some cloudiness in the upper right lobe that was present b/f and after IVs, so her Dr. wanted to have a bit more detail as to what was going on. It is her baseline CT scan and he has never suggested doing another one.

T

tammykrumrey

T

tammykrumrey

T

tammykrumrey

<br />Hannah has never had one, and she is 9 years old.
<br />Kayla has had one, I beleive b/c her x-rays showed that there was some cloudiness in the upper right lobe that was present b/f and after IVs, so her Dr. wanted to have a bit more detail as to what was going on. It is her baseline CT scan and he has never suggested doing another one.
<br />

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS has had a couple CT scans because Xrays at the local hospital/CF clinic have never been accurate and have indicated infiltration, etc.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS has had a couple CT scans because Xrays at the local hospital/CF clinic have never been accurate and have indicated infiltration, etc.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

amyr

When I think about all of the stuff I give and have given to my kids and the tons of radiation they have been exposed to I get so freaked that I could explode. Because we were such a difficult family to figure out my kids have been through so much.
Their Dr. did the CT's because the xrays were cloudy and my daughter just doesn't get better. We thought we were "Atypical" and didn't have to be as agressive as those with "Classic CF". For us the CT's were incredibly helpful to confirm everything but going forward now that we have all the info we have on them we will only do what radiation is absolutely needed. We are treating my 4 year old exactaly the same as the other two and will hold off on a CT until he is older. Thanks so much for all the responces.

amyr

When I think about all of the stuff I give and have given to my kids and the tons of radiation they have been exposed to I get so freaked that I could explode. Because we were such a difficult family to figure out my kids have been through so much.
Their Dr. did the CT's because the xrays were cloudy and my daughter just doesn't get better. We thought we were "Atypical" and didn't have to be as agressive as those with "Classic CF". For us the CT's were incredibly helpful to confirm everything but going forward now that we have all the info we have on them we will only do what radiation is absolutely needed. We are treating my 4 year old exactaly the same as the other two and will hold off on a CT until he is older. Thanks so much for all the responces.

amyr

amyr

amyr

<br />Their Dr. did the CT's because the xrays were cloudy and my daughter just doesn't get better. We thought we were "Atypical" and didn't have to be as agressive as those with "Classic CF". For us the CT's were incredibly helpful to confirm everything but going forward now that we have all the info we have on them we will only do what radiation is absolutely needed. We are treating my 4 year old exactaly the same as the other two and will hold off on a CT until he is older. Thanks so much for all the responces.