Bronchoscopy info please

U

urmysunshine54

Carly - just wanted to check to see how you made out with your bronchoscopy. I hope it went smoothly and you're feeling better. susan

U

urmysunshine54

Carly - just wanted to check to see how you made out with your bronchoscopy. I hope it went smoothly and you're feeling better. susan

L

LilyKate

I realize that you've probably already had your bronch if everything went according to schedule, but I still wanted to share my experience for anyone else who might be reading. I hope everything went well for you Carly, and I hope that you get better and get to go home from the hospital soon!
Now, about my bronchoscopy. For the most part, everything went well. I, like you, was extremely nervous. My doctors were great, and spent a lot of time talking with me before the procedure. I also met with the counselor at my hospital a couple of times, and she especially reassured me. I went down for the procedure, was administered my dose of anesthesia, and fell asleep just as according to plan. After waking up, I was told that the procedure had been successful and I might experience some fever or soreness over the next 24-48 hours. I was given Tylenol for the slight headache I had and sent back up to my room.
When the doctor stopped by later on to go over everything, she told me that while the bronchoscopy had been deemed "succesful", she felt that I would notice little change in my breathing. My airways had been so filled with mucus that her wand had clogged several times. She was able to remove very little mucus but did take a sample of my lung tissue for testing. To be honest, I was a little disappointed. I had expected some great change, and none came. I was angry at my doctor, who I accused of being too "timid" and not proactive enough. However, after discussing it with my grandfather, a cardiologist, I understand that it was far better for my doctor to be cautious. Entering the body with a foreign utensil always poses threats and risks that could lead to further complications. Personally, I feel that my bronchoscopy was somewhat unnecessary, and I was able to increase my lung functions simply through the routine tune-up procedures.

L

LilyKate

I realize that you've probably already had your bronch if everything went according to schedule, but I still wanted to share my experience for anyone else who might be reading. I hope everything went well for you Carly, and I hope that you get better and get to go home from the hospital soon!
Now, about my bronchoscopy. For the most part, everything went well. I, like you, was extremely nervous. My doctors were great, and spent a lot of time talking with me before the procedure. I also met with the counselor at my hospital a couple of times, and she especially reassured me. I went down for the procedure, was administered my dose of anesthesia, and fell asleep just as according to plan. After waking up, I was told that the procedure had been successful and I might experience some fever or soreness over the next 24-48 hours. I was given Tylenol for the slight headache I had and sent back up to my room.
When the doctor stopped by later on to go over everything, she told me that while the bronchoscopy had been deemed "succesful", she felt that I would notice little change in my breathing. My airways had been so filled with mucus that her wand had clogged several times. She was able to remove very little mucus but did take a sample of my lung tissue for testing. To be honest, I was a little disappointed. I had expected some great change, and none came. I was angry at my doctor, who I accused of being too "timid" and not proactive enough. However, after discussing it with my grandfather, a cardiologist, I understand that it was far better for my doctor to be cautious. Entering the body with a foreign utensil always poses threats and risks that could lead to further complications. Personally, I feel that my bronchoscopy was somewhat unnecessary, and I was able to increase my lung functions simply through the routine tune-up procedures.