Building up a Tolerance for Exercise

JennaB

HelloAnyone have advice on exercising for beginners? I used to work out a lot, then stopped. Now I am finding it hard to start up again because it is like torture. I know to start out slow, walking, etc.. But does anyone have any extra advice? How do you get motivated?

idajune

Jenna, I hear what you are saying. I have the same problem. What I find funny, because I do this too, is to look for something to motivate me - but the biggest motivation is that exercise will help to improve the quality of our lives and maybe even extend it - but yet for some reason, I still think there is something else needed to be motivate.

JennaB

It is hard to go walking, when I know it will make my chest feel tight, or make me cough, etc. I am having problems getting past that.

Emily65Roses

I have the hardest time getting my butt up to do stuff that I know will help... because it can be so difficult. But during spring and summer, I have a fun little habit. This may not work for everyone, but I personally love it. I live in a pretty small town in CT, and during the summer, I'll park where my mom works, and walk down the main road in the town. It's a pretty main road (at least for Cheshire, anyway), and yet late at night (I'm talking midnight or later) it's dead. It's nice and quiet, peaceful, and dark, but still warm. Usually I'll take Mike with me and just go for a walk late at night down the main road. I don't know why I like late night so much better, but if this sounds like it may work for you... give it a try. I love it.