bulging discs

rubyroselee

I don't know if it's just me, but I seem to be very prone to bulging discs in my lower back. The first time it happened was a couple years ago - I coughed really hard while blow-drying my hair. When it happened, I couldn't move and was forced into a bent-over position for several minutes. That bulge caused sciatica (pressure on the sciatic nerve with constant pain down to my toes) for a couple months. Now, I did it again, but thankfully this time I do not have the sciatica; I just have lower back pain. However, every time I cough, I feel like I'm just making it worse!

Is anyone else prone to getting bulging discs from coughing?

4hats

Coughing definitely does not help when it comes to bulging discs, especially if you have a certain weakness there. I had bulging disc issues from 2005 to 2007. It was very painful. I would periodically get very bad back spasms that would be paralyzing. Could hardly get out of bed and stand up straight. I had enough so I saw my family doctor. I thought I wanted to see an orthopedist, but my doctor instead gave me a prescription for physical therapy. I went for physical therapy a few times a week for a couple of months and I continue at home with the core exercises they taught me using a medicine ball. It only takes 10 minutes at a time a few times a week. With this program I have strengthened my core muscles and I have not had another disc incident since 2007 . These exercises are keeping the discs in place. I read that 90% of lower back problems can be corrected with physical therapy. Perhaps you should look into this if you are having a chronic problem. Hope you get relief soon.

rubyroselee

Thanks for the info - I think I may need to head to my PCP to get started on some treatment and/or preventative measures. Thanks!