Buspar?

MMBinNC

Anyone here take Buspar for anxiety? I see that the indications say not to use it in people with COPD, and while I realize that CF is not the same as COPD I was wondering if a person with CF would be OK taking it. My psychiatrist is the one prescribing this not my CF doctor, so I don't know if he has had experience using it with other CF patients.

MMBinNC

Anyone here take Buspar for anxiety? I see that the indications say not to use it in people with COPD, and while I realize that CF is not the same as COPD I was wondering if a person with CF would be OK taking it. My psychiatrist is the one prescribing this not my CF doctor, so I don't know if he has had experience using it with other CF patients.

Asexyblond23

I was on it for a couple of months but it did not work as well as the xanax for me. I was put back on it for my pregnancy and it worked. My Cf doctors had no problem with me being on it.

Asexyblond23

I was on it for a couple of months but it did not work as well as the xanax for me. I was put back on it for my pregnancy and it worked. My Cf doctors had no problem with me being on it.

lilmac1177

<span style="font-family: tahoma, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; color: #3366ff; font-size: small;">i have been on a combination of Zoloft and Neurontin for both depression and anxiety and it works very well for me! i've not had major anxious episodes and no panic attacks at all since 2007! Neurontin, i was told by my psychiatrist at the time, is actually an anti-seizure medication but is starting to be used to treat anxiety because it helps slow everything down and it worked wonders for me!

lilmac1177

<span style="font-family: tahoma, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; color: #3366ff; font-size: small;">i have been on a combination of Zoloft and Neurontin for both depression and anxiety and it works very well for me! i've not had major anxious episodes and no panic attacks at all since 2007! Neurontin, i was told by my psychiatrist at the time, is actually an anti-seizure medication but is starting to be used to treat anxiety because it helps slow everything down and it worked wonders for me!

running4life

When I first started seeing a psych for anxiety and depression, he put me on Buspar. Buspar is really suppose to be used in combination with an antidepressant. It didn't do much for me. I switched doctors and was put on Lexapro and it helped much more. Now I am on several other meds that work for me, but my new psych laughed at being on Buspar alone.

running4life

When I first started seeing a psych for anxiety and depression, he put me on Buspar. Buspar is really suppose to be used in combination with an antidepressant. It didn't do much for me. I switched doctors and was put on Lexapro and it helped much more. Now I am on several other meds that work for me, but my new psych laughed at being on Buspar alone.

blindhearted

Yes, I am currently on Buspar, 5mg. On the Tx list at Duke they do not allow their patients to take Xanax or anything like it. So Buspar is the common medicine they use. It's okay. It helps some, but I am still adjusting to it and all. I actually had to increase a different medicine called Lyrica (I didnt know it could be used for anxiety either until recently & yes it works) to take care of my anxiety. I also take Lexapro, but I took that years before Buspar was introduced. The only reason I am taking Buspar is because they dont allow Xanax.

blindhearted

Yes, I am currently on Buspar, 5mg. On the Tx list at Duke they do not allow their patients to take Xanax or anything like it. So Buspar is the common medicine they use. It's okay. It helps some, but I am still adjusting to it and all. I actually had to increase a different medicine called Lyrica (I didnt know it could be used for anxiety either until recently & yes it works) to take care of my anxiety. I also take Lexapro, but I took that years before Buspar was introduced. The only reason I am taking Buspar is because they dont allow Xanax.

I don't know much about Buspar but avoid Xanax or any benzodiazapene we went through hell getting a family member off that stuff...it is ridiculiously addictive and after a few weeks to a few months it litterally causes the very problems it is meant to treat. Benzodiazapenes are of short term use only and this family member (non-CF) was on it for YEARS...addicted by a doctor until she was at the maximum dose and he wouldn;t give anymore. I knew benzo was bad news and that she was on xanax but didn't actually realize xanax was benzo for a year (still feel guilty about not looking it up) and things really spiraled out of control (in-patient psych unit out of control) that what it took to get her off that garbage.

Make your own decisions, do your own research, but please but but do not ever let yourself become a habitual user of any benzodiazapene...I've seen what happens amd done the research... and any doctor that proscribes long term use of that drug should (IMO) be sued for malpractice...I feel that strongly. I know anxiety is real and it needs treatment, especially with some of the health concerns many CF patients face...just please be careful...thats all I ask.

Peace,

SFA

In Diagnostic limbo for over 21 years...hopefully to be resolved soon

I don't know much about Buspar but avoid Xanax or any benzodiazapene we went through hell getting a family member off that stuff...it is ridiculiously addictive and after a few weeks to a few months it litterally causes the very problems it is meant to treat. Benzodiazapenes are of short term use only and this family member (non-CF) was on it for YEARS...addicted by a doctor until she was at the maximum dose and he wouldn;t give anymore. I knew benzo was bad news and that she was on xanax but didn't actually realize xanax was benzo for a year (still feel guilty about not looking it up) and things really spiraled out of control (in-patient psych unit out of control) that what it took to get her off that garbage.

Make your own decisions, do your own research, but please but but do not ever let yourself become a habitual user of any benzodiazapene...I've seen what happens amd done the research... and any doctor that proscribes long term use of that drug should (IMO) be sued for malpractice...I feel that strongly. I know anxiety is real and it needs treatment, especially with some of the health concerns many CF patients face...just please be careful...thats all I ask.

Peace,

SFA

In Diagnostic limbo for over 21 years...hopefully to be resolved soon