Calling Jody - ? on rice protein powder

anonymous

Hi Jody,

I heard you mention that you sometimes add some rice protein powder to your sons milk. How much should I add to Archie's bottle? This specific brand of rice protein powder says it has 27grams of protein per 30grams of powder and 2grams of fat. I would think 30grams would be too much??
I'm trying to keep his rice milk the same cal/fat/protein value as normal milk as he is allergic to dairy. Any suggestions.

Thank you in anticipation.

Salli
Mum to Archie 1.1years w/cf

anonymous

Hi Jody,

I heard you mention that you sometimes add some rice protein powder to your sons milk. How much should I add to Archie's bottle? This specific brand of rice protein powder says it has 27grams of protein per 30grams of powder and 2grams of fat. I would think 30grams would be too much??
I'm trying to keep his rice milk the same cal/fat/protein value as normal milk as he is allergic to dairy. Any suggestions.

Salli

anonymous

Hi Jody,

Salli

JRPandTJP

I haven't been on the nutrition board for a while and I'm so sorry for not responding sooner.

Okay, I have to go way back in the memory banks and I can't find the nifty chart I used to figure it out. I know I wrote this in some other post about too much protein but of course I can't find it either. I did find this based on RDA recommendatio which I think the others were as well. Then I just added the 20% increase recommended for CFers as a general guide line.

HERE IT IS: Healthy 1-to-3-year-old children need 0.55 grams of protein per pound of body weight per day, which means the average 20-pound 1 year old needs 11 grams of protein each day. A CFer would require about 13.2 grams of protein each day (you can alos verify this with his nutritionist)

Figure he is getting some from other foods (eggs, soy, veggies, ect) and spread the rest out between all the sippy cups or bottles you intend to give. So, I believe 30 grams in one bottle would be too much and you be almost double the daily intake according to my numbers. You can have too much protein and it can harm the kidneys. So do your numbers and then maybe review them with your nutritionist.

Hope this helps. I don't add anything anymore since he was about 15-18 months when fully transistioned from breast milk to food at 20 months. I try to rely very little on fluids as a source of nutrition and calories since he has become a toddler. We go for 5-6 meals a day (2-3 well rounded snacks with a source of protein with fat, and fruit or veggy).

Hope this helps.

Jody

JRPandTJP

I haven't been on the nutrition board for a while and I'm so sorry for not responding sooner.

Okay, I have to go way back in the memory banks and I can't find the nifty chart I used to figure it out. I know I wrote this in some other post about too much protein but of course I can't find it either. I did find this based on RDA recommendatio which I think the others were as well. Then I just added the 20% increase recommended for CFers as a general guide line.

HERE IT IS: Healthy 1-to-3-year-old children need 0.55 grams of protein per pound of body weight per day, which means the average 20-pound 1 year old needs 11 grams of protein each day. A CFer would require about 13.2 grams of protein each day (you can alos verify this with his nutritionist)

Figure he is getting some from other foods (eggs, soy, veggies, ect) and spread the rest out between all the sippy cups or bottles you intend to give. So, I believe 30 grams in one bottle would be too much and you be almost double the daily intake according to my numbers. You can have too much protein and it can harm the kidneys. So do your numbers and then maybe review them with your nutritionist.

Hope this helps. I don't add anything anymore since he was about 15-18 months when fully transistioned from breast milk to food at 20 months. I try to rely very little on fluids as a source of nutrition and calories since he has become a toddler. We go for 5-6 meals a day (2-3 well rounded snacks with a source of protein with fat, and fruit or veggy).

Hope this helps.

Jody

JRPandTJP

Hope this helps.

Jody

Salli

Thanks Jody, I think I will not worry too much about adding protein
to his milk anymore. He eats plenty of veg, meat and has some
soy/goats milk/products so I would assume he is getting enough
protein. His weight/height is great at the moment - 75% so I think
I will just keep doing what I'm doing. Thanks again for getting
back to me.<br>
<br>
Sal

Salli

back to me.<br>
<br>
Sal

Salli

back to me.<br>
<br>
Sal

JRPandTJP

Absolutely! That is my approach. Unless and until there is a concern about weight, going crazy with protein drinks could actually back fire. In fact some studies suggest there is no benefit to the 2-50% increase in calories they recommend. If it ain't broke don't fix it ;-)

Archie sounds great...good job mom!!

Jody

JRPandTJP

Absolutely! That is my approach. Unless and until there is a concern about weight, going crazy with protein drinks could actually back fire. In fact some studies suggest there is no benefit to the 2-50% increase in calories they recommend. If it ain't broke don't fix it ;-)

Jody

JRPandTJP

Jody