Can CFers digest candy and bread?

Enzo2311

Something I've always said to myself when it comes to things I can/can't digest is if it comes anywhere from an animal I can't digest it. That's been something that's helped me. But what about candy and bread and chips and stuff like that?

Y

yanne

Being a vegetarian is NOT a good idea, and not eating calory-rich foods like candy, bread etc. is also a very bad idea if you have CF.

PACmommy

Something I've always said to myself when it comes to things I can/can't digest is if it comes anywhere from an animal I can't digest it. That's been something that's helped me. But what about candy and bread and chips and stuff like that?

If you take your enzymes I see no reason why you can't eat bread and chips. Candy in general is a simple sugar and doesn't require enzymes to be broken down.
Why aren't you eating anything from an animal? If it's for moral reasons that's something else. But if it's because you are having difficulty digesting it, you need to talk to your cf dietician for possible reasons like maybe your enzymes need to be titrated up. There are alot of protein and nutrients in animal products and if you're not ingesting them I hope you are finding alternate sources.

Enzo2311

Being a vegetarian is NOT a good idea, and not eating calory-rich foods like candy, bread etc. is also a very bad idea if you have CF.
If you take your enzymes I see no reason why you can't eat bread and chips. Candy in general is a simple sugar and doesn't require enzymes to be broken down.
Why aren't you eating anything from an animal? If it's for moral reasons that's something else. But if it's because you are having difficulty digesting it, you need to talk to your cf dietician for possible reasons like maybe your enzymes need to be titrated up. There are alot of protein and nutrients in animal products and if you're not ingesting them I hope you are finding alternate sources.

i didn't say I was a vegan. I eat everything in sight I was just asking if I had to take enzymes for breads and chips and candy?

My rule is if it comes from an animal I must take enZymes and I do that, it's just that breads and candy don't come from an animal so I kinda get lost whether or not I do need enzymes. For example if I eat eggs steak chicken yogurt or milk, I know I must take enzymes cause it comes from an animal.

ForeverDance

If it contains fat you need enzymes and if it doesn't you don't. Cereals and breads tend to be lower in fat content so depending on your body's natural abilities you may or may not be okay without taking enzymes. Most candies contain no fat so they are fine. Your best bet is to look at the fat content.

Helenlight

Hi Enzo,

Anything with fat or protein in it needs enzymes. The general rule many people use (though this may not suit everyone) is one Creon 10000 capsule per 6 grams of fat/protein. I'm not sure what this translates to in oz or different brands of enzymes.
Many cereals, especially muesli, will have fat and possibly protein in it, have a look at the nutritional panel on the back of the pack, it will tell you the amounts and you can adjust accordingly. Chips will definitely have fat (can be quite a lot) so you will need enzymes for that. Bread again will depend on the brand, so have a look at the pack (if it has one). Candy doesn't usually have fat or protein in it so shouldn't require enzymes.

Good luck :)